Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Martial Arts in or around Albany NY

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

Martial Arts in or around Albany NY

I have a student moving there in about a year. She'll just be 12 then and has been training with me since she was 8. Looking for a good school to recommend to her and her parents. Style doesn't matter of course. She'll probably only be there for 2 years or so while her parents go to school.

links to websites are appreciated
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Hi,

The school I go to is in Glens Falls, about 45 minutes north of Albany. Kids classes are available Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 5:00 pm to 5:45 pm. No web site to link to but if you'd like to PM me I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you have.

I recommend Sifu Allen Wong, his kung fu is really excellent and he a great guy,
    http://www.saratogafestival.com/wong.html
    you can read his bio here and get his email, although I am not sure if he teaches kids.
    Robert James
    5th Gen. Bak Hsing Kwoon
    bakhsingkwoon@gmail.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/SatoriScience
    "Whip the pole like the dragon whips its tail. Punches are like a tiger sticking out its head!"

I've met Sifu Wong, he seems very friendly and my Sifu speaks highly of him, he even came up to our school and did some work with our Lion Dance team. His school would be closer to Albany then Glens Falls if that's important.

5. Some day I want to move back upstate, and hopefully train with Sharif Bey in SYRACUSE even if I move back to windham, ny.

there is a group at some university up there, they are praying mantis and a few of them fought (sanshou) at an event I was at, they all seemed pretty cool but I can't remember any details.
    Bless you

thanks, i'll follow up later...just wanted to get an idea of what's available.

any ideas on the japanese styles or mma groups?
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

10 Years Ago

There's a good deal of martial arts around Albany, but I haven't lived there in 10 years.

I'd recommend my old teacher Jiang Jianye of "Capital District Tai Kung Fu Association". His classes are nonstructured, but he has enough longtime students that help him instruct.

Another guy that had some knowledge was Frank Cichon of "Cichon's Kung Fu". That's traditional Yip Man style Wing Chun.

I wish that the Uechi Ryu master John Izzo still had his school in Schenectady. Izzo was a real master and a very good instructor.

thanks, kevin.

i liked your post in the 'let's talk kung fu' thread.

Thanks, oso.

You will be pleased to know that Jiang Jianye studied 7 Star Mantis with Yu Hai, who helped train Jet Li for the "Shaolin Temple" movie. At least that's what Jiang told me.

Jiang considers 7 star mantis his personal specialty. I've witnessed it myself, and indeed he's a real master of the art. However, I'm speaking from strictly a modern wushu demonstration standpoint. I am NOT talking about with Jiang's ability to apply the moves in combat, as that wasn't Jiang's focus when he taught me years ago.

Jiang's 7 star mantis has a lot of detail compared to what one typically sees in that art form. I learned a bit of it, but I didn't stick with it because I do kung fu for combat and not demonstration.

Your student might want to look into studying mantis privately with Jiang. It's not that he won't teach it in a group class, it's that I am not sure if a lot of students request him to teach it to them.

thanks...she's just a kid...a good kid and starting to maybe become a decent martial artist...but she's not very intense in her training, which is fine, so a decent group class will probably be best.

There's always "Pai's Tae Kwon Do", then.

Thomas Pai is a well known TKD instructor in Albany. He runs a chain of TKD schools all over.

I have heard good and bad things about Pai's schools. Personally, I didn't think that anything said about those schools was out of the ordinary for TKD in general.

blech!

just kidding, if he's the best instructor around then fine...but, I still have some biases against TKD...but, not enough to tell her not to go check it out and see for herself.

ok, second call...the girl is moved up there and getting settle in school and seems eager to move on to something else.

I can't find too much on Cichon's place...his FB page is old.

anything good that isn't too much of a money sucker would be ok though she wants to sick with kung fu.

TIA