Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: favor

favor

hello hello everyone. i need a small favor. im interested in seeking reliable historical evidence that some chinese martial arts and okinawan karate were never created for the purpose of zen or enlightenment. can anybody help? thanks.

i think it's pretty safe to say that most martial arts have little if anything to do with zen at all.

you'd have to find evidence to the contrary if anything.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Outside of some possible MODERN exceptions, all TMA, be them chinese, Japanese, korean or whatnot, were created for combat.
    Any "spirituality" was added later.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Please don't do that. If the truth gets out, at least half the members of this board will be involved in a group seppuku, and I will have no one to flame the hell out of.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

how about the two dozen or so military mannuals we still have copies of that show martial arts, talk about how to use them to kill and make NO MENTION of buddhism, spirituallity etc?

yeah, but if we do that a few of the forum are sure to committ suicide
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

kara te or tang shou or china hand.

it has nothing to do with chan or zen.

unfortunately, meditative meanings are incorporated in modern times.

do the way

ju do: gentle way

a ki do: harmony way

kara te do: way of empty hand

---

they are to cultivate some characters or spiritual persuits in addition to fighting

if you strip the way away

then

you have the original techniques

ju jitsu

a ki jitsu

kara te jitsu

so take your pick.

so you have wu shu (bu jitsu) and not wu dao (bu do).

hello hello everyone. i need a small favor. im interested in seeking reliable historical evidence that some chinese martial arts and okinawan karate were never created for the purpose of zen or enlightenment. can anybody help? thanks.
    You initial claim that most (if any) martial arts were created for the purpose of practicing a religion is erroneous. Where did you come to this position in the first place, it is not a conclusion anyone with more that cursory information of the martial arts would commonly colligate. Against whom do you need to prove you point? Hippies or Zealots?

Though there were many traditions of warrior monks from Buddhism, Zen, and Taoism. Many were similar to that of crusaders or Teutonic knights in that they were faithful but not ordained members of the Church/Temple, having not taken vows, but more like laymen “employed” by the Church. They were temple guards as in the case of Shaolin or the instruments of political feuds like the Sohei of Japan.

Shaolin monks are said to have taken up the martial arts to keep themselves healthy enough to complete their long chants, or to defend themselves from bandits, or more likely just introduced into the temple by monks and laymen who had previously learned the martial arts, but either way they got their martial arts from secular sources. The majority of Shaolin monks have always been non-martial monks, and it is not required for shaolin monks to practice martial arts.

Taoist monks or the Japanese Yamabushi could be said to have practiced their martial arts as a part of their religious practice, as the practice of the martial arts was suppose to lead to supernatural powers. Though, I don’t know that you would call it an act of worship.

I am unaware of any Martial arts being practiced by monks on Okinawa. Martial arts in Okinawa were “supposed” to be exclusive to the Pechin, or warrior class of Okinawa.

However all martial arts originated from folk wrestling and hunting methods which became combat arts designed for the battlefield and then latter modified and adapted for self-defense and other purposes. The Majority of Martial arts even those once practiced in the temples have little connection to any religion beyond a historical affiliation. Most martial arts are wholly secular in origin and practice.
    Last edited by SanHeChuan; 11-05-2009 at 10:58 AM.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Please don't do that. If the truth gets out, at least half the members of this board will be involved in a group seppuku, and I will have no one to flame the hell out of.
    how about the two dozen or so military mannuals we still have copies of that show martial arts, talk about how to use them to kill and make NO MENTION of buddhism, spirituallity etc?

yeah, but if we do that a few of the forum are sure to committ suicide
    Holy SH!t, you mean martial arts isn't some spiritual mumbo jumbo????

Any you guys need someone to lop your head off while you gut yourselves??

I'm available monday and thursdays in the evening, other than that you'll have to find someone else.

seriously does this actually suprise anyone? Only in recent years have people added the "zen/spiritual" crap. martial "meaning war like" does not come as a surprise to me. People just need an excuse for some things and here is a prime example.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    seriously does this actually suprise anyone? Only in recent years have people added the "zen/spiritual" crap. martial "meaning war like" does not come as a surprise to me. People just need an excuse for some things and here is a prime example.
    holy effing hell... idiotcy truly has no limits.

that it is rampant...
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    that it is rampant...
    and you're part of the trampled.

glad to see your beside me in times like this... trampled right along with me

Some warriors did seek out instruction in Zen for the purpose of training their mind. Their in general their primary purpose was to be a more effective killer.