Thread: Ground DeMystified

Ground DeMystified

Supposably 90% of all fights hit the ground- that's true in the competitive cage fighting world- what about the real world?

It's true that you see sloppy tackles and takedowns- and some limited wrestling- but the chances of you tussling with a trained and competent catch-wrestling, master hooker, bjj black belt are incredibly rare. Heck- if that happens- you're in luck anyway 'cuz he may humiliate you, but he's probably not going to kill you. What's most likely going to happen is that you'll get tackled- and you may wrestle and scramble a bit. If he's an MMA fanboy- he may attempt to do what he sees on TV- but it ain't trained- so it'll be sloppy and full of holes.

So what do you need to know about groundfighting for the street? I'm talking real groundfighting- not dirty tricks and wishful thinking.

1) you need familiarity with the basic hold downs- most specifically- the mount or "schoolboy" as Gene LeBell would call it.

2) you need to know at least two ways on how to get out of the mount- a basic Upa, and a way to deal with a mount when he's posting.

3) you need to know how to get out of a bully's headlock from in front and behind.

That's pretty much it. If you know that, are in reasonable shape, have some degree of competence- you'll know enough groundfighting for the street.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Supposably 90% of all fights hit the ground- that's true in the competitive cage fighting world- what about the real world?

It's true that you see sloppy tackles and takedowns- and some limited wrestling- but the chances of you tussling with a trained and competent catch-wrestling, master hooker, bjj black belt are incredibly rare. Heck- if that happens- you're in luck anyway 'cuz he may humiliate you, but he's probably not going to kill you. What's most likely going to happen is that you'll get tackled- and you may wrestle and scramble a bit. If he's an MMA fanboy- he may attempt to do what he sees on TV- but it ain't trained- so it'll be sloppy and full of holes.

So what do you need to know about groundfighting for the street? I'm talking real groundfighting- not dirty tricks and wishful thinking.

1) you need familiarity with the basic hold downs- most specifically- the mount or "schoolboy" as Gene LeBell would call it.

2) you need to know at least two ways on how to get out of the mount- a basic Upa, and a way to deal with a mount when he's posting.

3) you need to know how to get out of a bully's headlock from in front and behind.

That's pretty much it. If you know that, are in reasonable shape, have some degree of competence- you'll know enough groundfighting for the street.
    Yeah, and all you need to win a stand up fight is a front push kick, a jab, and a cross.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Yeah, and all you need to win a stand up fight is a front push kick, a jab, and a cross.
    ---------
    True Dat

Add in a low roundhouse for good measure.

Those are my bread and butter.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

In cage fighting it is common that the combatants go to the mat in an effort to gain a submission. This is not the way of it on the street. Most people are loath to go to ground as they know that they are vulnerable there. It is not a controlled situation and danger lurks on the ground. Most people will attempt to stay on their feet. I was told many years ago that there are no submission holds in Jujitsu. Your aim is not to submit an opponent. It is to injure an opponent to the extent that he will no longer present himself as threat. Submission only occurs in sport fighting.
    I am well versed in Jap jujitsu. There are many techniques that can be applied in an attempt to escape from a ground situation. There are many variations of each of these techniques too. The average person on the street will have some form of fighting sense. They might have had a few lessons in Karate or some other form of MA, but most will have some sort of boxing stance. Some will be extremely strong and tough and fight like hell. Even so, most of these jujitsu techniques will get you out of a jam. The hardest person you will have to fight will be someone that is trained in your own form of self defense.

1/10 old troll, dull troll.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.