Thread: A day in a wushu school

the dream that one day wushu will be part of olympics.

the dream is still there.

not in 2008, but sometime in the future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1KEl4Q45qQ&NR=1

2002 promo clip.

when the time comes it will come.

Wushu has always been a civilian event or grass root.

--

whether if it is in O games or not.

personally, I think that it is not that important.

hmmmm......

Well If I am not mistaken, wushu meets all the requirements for an Olympic Event and there are well more than enough athletes across the world . However I think the problem is that the Olympic Commitee has a rule where in order to add a new event , they have to lose an event first. God forbid we lose table tennis for wushu.

I have a theory though...I heard that UFC is opening up to world athletes soon and with guys like Cung Le kicking ass and taking names, interest in CMA will grow. So who knows maybe we will see it as an "official" event in the next Olympics?

“Build rather than destroy,
    Avoid rather than check,
    Check rather than maim,
    Maim rather than kill,
    For all life is precious,
    Nor can any be replaced” - Chuen Yuan, Li Shou, Pai Yu Feng

There IS a cap on the number of events in the IOC roster for the Olympics. So, in effect, the IOC would either have to raise that number or have an event be removed in order to add Wushu as an Olympic event.

However, there are other problems. The main governing body for Wushu is the IWuF (International Wushu Federation). It is primarily controlled by the leaders housed in.... the PRC. The IWuF is responsible for creating the rules, certifying judges, coaches, recognizing organizations in various countries, etc...

There is no way for a non-PRC group or set of individuals to really have an impact in the direction of the IWuF. In fact, the rules that were proposed for the 2008 games were created by the IWuF - in China, with little input from the supposedly IWuF member / recognized organizations.

The IWuF organizations outside of asia are plagued with lack of funds, typically second rate competitors (at least in Taolu), and limited access to qualified coaches and judges.

In short, the PRC holds pretty much all of the cards for Wushu. Unless this were to change, it is highly unlikely that the IOC would go out on a limb and add Wushu as an event...especially with their current scandal hyper-sensitivity based on the past 8 years or so.