Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Real Shaolin by Alex Sebastien Lee

The Real Shaolin by Alex Sebastien Lee

from what i see of the trailer this looks like an amazing documentary about four people training at shaolin and the surrounding school(s). website has a great layout too, enjoy:

http://www.realshaolin.com/

this film is going to be shown at the toronto film festival.
    Last edited by doug maverick; 10-14-2009 at 02:39 PM.

and if you are up on this gene sorry for calling you out like that.

Gene's on Vacation

Gene's on Vacation, not at Shaolin.

Buuuuuuut . . .

After a quick look at the website and the Director's bio I'm fairly certain Alexander Lee paid a visit to our office some time ago (maybe a year?). We even got a peek at the Documentary's trailer.

Alex is a friend.

I first met Alex at Shaolin - it was his first trip there. He told me of his vision and truth be told, I sort of wrote him off along with so many people that want to do this. But he made it happen and got a very intriguing angle. I last saw Alex at the Otis Gallery showing of Justin Guariglia's work. Alex joined Justin & May, Craig & Sylvia and me for a late night diner run. I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Thanks for the website link. I hadn't seen that yet.

I'm stealing this from the media forum for the Shaolin forum.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

actually there are no true and real shaolin in china, atleast not at the so called temples... most emigrated(and re-incarnated) to elsewhere in the early 20th century by 1930 or so... no true monks were left. all you see these days a communist china puppet players enhancing the tourism industry. enjoy the shows though.

The dharma is where you find it.

Don't get hung up on lineages.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    The dharma is where you find it.

Don't get hung up on lineages.
    but the lineages are all provably in tact. to suggest otherwise in this day and age is just ignorant.

Not saying that.

I was just saying that it didn't matter one way or the other as long as they were still communicating the dharma.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.

I just heard from Alex

He's very excited, of course. I met Alex in 2003. We were part of what we called the 'laowai' club, a handful of foreigners who met in a hotel lobby every day to decompress. Alex had already been there for a month or so when I arrived. I sort of wrote him off until Justin mentioned that he had seen some of Alex's preliminary work and was impressed. That perked my ears up since Justin is an excellent judge of such things. As DS mentioned, Alex came by the office a while back and shared some preliminary footage. He attacked the Shaolin saga from a very human angle, focusing on a few students instead of the monks. I'm really eager to see the final cut.

More to come on this...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    Not saying that.

I was just saying that it didn't matter one way or the other as long as they were still communicating the dharma.
    sorry simon, meant more to reply to uki.

I completely agree, I always say the dharma is self evident and self manifesting. Even an illiterate wood chopper can find it.

No problemo.
    Simon McNeil

Quote Originally Posted by richard sloan View Post
    Even an illiterate wood chopper can find it.
    i can relate... i chopped over 8 cords of wood for my woodstove last year by hand(with a maul), you really do get alot of time to ponder on the nature of things... oh... i can enter that into 10,001 ways to strengthen the fist.

Thanks guys!

Hi everyone! Thanks Doug for spreading the word! I e-mailed Gene about the announcement and didn't hear from him, but then Gigi told me he was on vacation. Where'd you go to Gene? You must have suffered without internet

The Real Shaolin is premiering at the Toronto International Film Festival from 9/4-9/13 and there will be 3 public screenings. Anyone in the Toronto area or people visiting for the festival should come! I would recommend purchasing tickets early as it will definitely sell out. I will soon make an announcement of screening times. Also...

http://www.tiff08.ca/press/pressrele...spx?newsId=590

"FESTIVAL SHOWCASE Martial Arts demonstration
    A martial arts demonstration will be featured in support of Alexander Sebastien Lee's The Real Shaolin. Rich with dazzling displays of kung fu, The Real Shaolin follows two Chinese and two western students as they undergo a year of rigorous training in martial arts at the Shaolin temple in Central China. Wednesday, September 10 at 6:30 p.m."

This will be a large event at the Yonge Dunda's public square at the heart of Toronto. We will have Kung Fu demos and show a trailer for the film. Then at 9pm that same evening we'll have a screening of The Real Shaolin. Hope to see you there!

Alexander
    www.realshaolin.com

The Real Shaolin- Toronto Film Festival World Premiere- September 7

The Real Shaolin will have its world premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival! The Real Shaolin follows the story of two Chinese and two Westerners who are inspired by Kung Fu movies starring Bruce Lee and Jet Li. They journey to the Shaolin Temple in China, known as the birthplace of Kung Fu and Zen Buddhism, and undergo a year of rigorous martial arts training in the hopes of becoming Kung Fu warriors.

Here is our screening schedule:

All screenings at theater AMC Yonge & Dundas 24 in Toronto
    Public Screening 1 (AMC 6)
    Sunday September 7th at 3:45pm

Public Screening 2 (AMC 9)
    Wednesday September 10th at 9pm

Public Screening 3 (AMC 9)
    Saturday September 13th at 3:15pm

Yonge-Dundas Square Live Kung Fu Demo: Wednesday September 10th at 6:00pm

Ticket's info: http://tiff08.ca/boxofficeinfo/tickets/default.aspx

Premium tickets are already on sale. Regular tickets will be available September 3rd. Purchase your tickets early as they will sell out! Also, we are having a live Kung Fu demo at Yonge-Dundas Square with some of the top schools in the Toronto area! The event is FREE to the public! Hope to see you there!

Best,
    Alexander Lee
    www.realshaolin.com