Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The Real Shaolin by Alex Sebastien Lee

Thanks for spreading the word Gene!

This coming Saturday, May 2nd at 5pm will be the USA premiere of CAPE member Alexander Lee's feature documentary The Real Shaolin, about 2 Westerners and 2 Chinese who study Kung Fu at the Shaolin Temple in China. The VC festival's USA premiere follows Alexander's successful World Premiere at the 2008 Toronto International Film Festival, where all 3 screenings in a 600 seat theater sold out. This will be the only screening available during the entire festival. Tickets can be purchased here:

http://www.vconline.org/festival/pro...?program_id=16

VC Film Festival
    Saturday May 2nd at 5pm
    Laemmle Sunset 5 theater
    8000 Sunset Blvd, LA, CA 90046

More information including trailer can be found here:
    www.realshaolin.com

no prob, Alex...

...anything for the ol' laowai club.

I'll even cut&paste your facebook announcement: Radio Interview tonight around 7:20pm PST on KXLU radio 88.9FM. For non-LA residents, audio stream at: http://www.live365.com/stations/kxlu2?site=pro
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Yes, the brotherhood lives strong and well! :-)

Thanks again Gene!

I finally saw this - it was worth the wait

The Real Shaolin is the most provocative documentary to come out on Shaolin so far. Unlike countless other Shaolin documentaries, The Real Shaolin doesn't get bogged down in retelling of tired and refuted myths. Nor does it dwell on the performance shows that monks do for tourists. Lee focuses his lens on four contrasting Shaolin aspirants, meticulously capturing their dreams and delusions as they search for meaning in the complex world of martial arts that surrounds Shaolin. Using these four narrative threads, Lee weaves an intricate brocade that is both moving and profound. He honors the power that is Shaolin with honest portraits of the intensity and hardships that all serious Shaolin students face in their quest for mastery at this venerated temple in modern times.

I've seen almost every documentary listed on our Shaolin Documentaries thread. This is one of the best. I've also had my name attached to many Shaolin projects. I'm quite proud to be acknowledged in the credits of The Real Shaolin.

Excellent job, Alex! I wish you all the success with this film.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Any idea if this will be on DVD and can we get this in Oz ?

Gene, I'm so humbled and thrilled by your review on the film! Thank you and Gigi and the rest of the Kungfu Qigong staff for providing in-depth knowledge into the secretive and complex world of traditional Chinese Kung Fu!

Blacktiger, The Real Shaolin is still doing its worldwide festival tour and DVD release has not yet been determined. Anyone interested in joining The Real Shaolin mailing list for periodic updates on the film's release can PM me. Thanks.

Awesome! I can't wait this documentary sounds amazing!

Congrats to you, Alex!

Congrats on The Real Shaolin winning the VC Film Festival Documentary Special Jury Prize!

I got to add that I had a lol moment while watching The Real Shaolin. There's a scene where one of the laowai is at a sword shop and I totally recognized the merchant behind the counter. That dude and I had this wicked haggling session which transformed into a tourist vs. local bout of street theater - all in good fun, mind you. Haggling can be quite the spectator sport for locals. I bought several pieces from him over the years and it was always a hagglefest. He used to have this shop in Shaolin village between the wushuguan and Taguo before the relocation. That dude was hilarious. Seeing his tiny cameo brought back this rush of fond memories of Shaolin village, back in the day.

Long live the laowai club!!!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More on Alex

Click the link - there's vid too.
    LA Asian Pacific Film Festival 2009: an interview with The Real Shaolin director Alexander Lee
    By APA Staff

Alexander Lee follows four people's journies to the Shaolin Temple in his Special Jury Prize-winning documentary, The Real Shaolin.

When Bruce Lee kung fu-kicked his way into Hollywood, he probably never would have imagined the legions of followers his martial arts actions films would spring. In his debut film The Real Shaolin, director Alexander Lee takes this idol worship to a whole new level, by documenting four people's journeys to the Shaolin Temple in central Henan province in China. APA chats with the USC film school grad and former student of kung fu to get his thoughts on making the film and demystifying Shaolin for a wider audience.

Interview with Alexander Lee
    May 1, 2009
    Interviewed by Janice Jann
    Transcribed by Timothy Natividad
    Camera by Warren Kenji Berkey and Oliver Chien
    Video by Warren Kenji Berkey

APA: How did you select the four subjects that you decided to follow and how were those four subjects cast?

Alexander Lee: In Shaolin, they have a Buddhist saying – yuan fen. It means "follow destiny." I guess that's a really simple answer, but basically, when I first went to Shaolin to learn kung fu, I trained in the same room as this performance team of mostly children. I was really inspired by the kids because they were so much braver than me, an adult male. And I thought that would make a really interesting story.

I was also intrigued by the foreigners, the Westerners, and their story – how they came to Shaolin, what motivated them to travel thousands of miles from the comfort of home and family to find this legendary place. So basically, I found my characters by going to the temple and asking if they knew any young boys who were training. They told me "Oh, there's this one master who has three young disciples." I went there, filmed for the first day, and out of the three kids I knew, this was the one who I wanted. I could see his demeanor and the purity in his eyes. No fear, no complaining. That was very inspiring to me.

The kickboxer, whose name is Zhu, was on the top kickboxing team in that region. I started filming that team, and he was the most comfortable being on camera. He's a photogenic guy and very likable. He was talented, and I could see that.

The American was the only American at the whole school that I went to visit. I literally told them that I was an American filming something, and they replied "Oh, we have an American! Come meet him!" So we met, and he was really cool, and I asked him if I could film him. It was that simple. He was very open and very disciplined. I would tell him to come out and have some fun, get a drink or something, but he was so focused on his kung fu like Bruce Lee. That was his dream.

And then there was the French guy who I had found, and he wanted to be a monk. The foreigners were so few and far between we all knew each other, so that's the long and short of it.

APA: There are a lot of males who are fascinated with kung fu and martial arts. What do you think is its appeal to guys, men in general?

AL: I think that every young boy at some point wants to be like Bruce Lee. I think that there is something about martial arts, being able to be so confident in yourself. I really feel that martial arts is about eliminating fear, and I think that makes a better world. Martial arts is a violent practice, no doubt. Let's not beat around the bush and say it's a peaceful thing. It is violent, but the purpose of the violence has this weird paradox – using violence to pacify. Basically, using martial arts to serve a just cause, kind of like the police. The police don't walk around with sticks anymore, or say "No you shouldn't do this." They walk around with guns because they have to. They have to use force sometimes to teach the evildoers what is wrong. So I think that it's a universal thing. Bruce Lee, for me, is the ultimate kung fu movie star because he has so much presence and was so fast. He was very dynamic on screen. I think until this day he remains the ultimate kung fu action star.

APA: Are there any other stars or movie actors that you think could replace him?

AL: I think people are very fond of making lists of who's the top, number one person. But they're all different. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. Obviously Jet Li and Jackie Chan are two living legends that have done incredible things for kung fu cinema, for the face of Asians in world cinema. But they're different. Jet Li is sexy, confident kung fu [laughs]. Jackie Chan is more like relaxed, bumbling kung fu. The difference between them is so beautiful because kung fu can have all these different forms and interpretations.

APA: On the one hand, while it's great that they are out there giving kung fu a reputation and spotlight, but you mentioned in the film that the form tends to be romanticized.

AL: I think movies have to romanticize life because that's why we go to see movies. We don't want to see a film about people doing everyday boring 9 to 5 stuff. I think there's room for people like me to have those different approaches to Shaolin temple or to kung fu. For me personally, I really would've liked to see a film that showed what the living conditions would be like. I mean I heard there were squat toilets, but to actually do it is a whole different experience [laughs]. But I think that kung fu movies are great. History is what is written down by the victor or whatever, who knows what really happened back in the day. But what's great is the rich tradition in celebrating the art. I'm happy that I have an opportunity to show a film that can show some real nitty gritty stuff. Hopefully people can be attracted to that and have that affect them as well.

APA: Are you interested in following women that do kung fu?

AL: Actually I did follow them. There are actually quite a few girls who study at Shaolin as well. My film premiered at Toronto, and there were some audience members who asked me "Did you follow any women?" or "Why didn't you follow any women? Why just boys?" And I said that I did follow two or three girls. It was just kind of a circumstance thing where eventually they kind of got uncomfortable with me filming them. The culture there kind of promotes this shy introvertedness compared to Americans. Besides that, I don't think they really appreciated me going into girls' dormitories and filming them sleeping. So it wasn't really a boy/girl issue really. It was just that those individuals weren't comfortable anymore. That was the toughest challenge for me, finding people comfortable being filmed.

APA: I'm sure as foreigners going into China to learn martial arts, it's already hard for them to deal with this new aspect of life. But to also have cameras follow them as they experience must be double the pressure and intensity. You yourself went to China to study Shaolin. I feel like a lot of the film, as much as it has to do with martial arts, it also has a lot to do with being a foreigner in a country. What were your thoughts on China when you went there?

AL: I think as an American, we're raised to think that China is Communist, and it's really not. When you go there, its very Capitalist and everybody wants to get their piece of the pie. I wasn't really sure what to expect. I assumed it would be poor, but luckily when I arrived at Shaolin, it was somewhat developed because of the two million tourists who visit there every year. And the hundreds of kung fu schools are fed by these thousands of students who are in a search for this dream to become the next Jet Li. So I guess in terms of what the kung fu training would be, I thought I was going to be slapping water and lifting buckets of water, maybe breaking stones and walking on logs of wood. I thought there might have been some of that, but there really isn't any of that anymore. Its kind of like the mythology of it, and I guess that's why most people go there. Who knows, maybe its just in the movies.

APA: Was there any difficulty filming in China?

AL: There was actually filming at the Shaolin temple. Filming there was not as difficult as I had imagined because that area gets a lot of film crews already as well as a lot of tourism. They're trying to publicize the temple a lot, they're very open to that. So it wasn't actually that difficult to get the approvals from the local government. I know that's a very big issue in America. We talk about that a lot. People always ask me at every Q &A, "Was it difficult? Did the government watch you?" Yeah they did, but I think they began to realize I wasn't there trying to prove some point like the Chinese are poor and backwards, this and that. I was there really just to document the experience and I think that maybe as a half-Asian person, they had a little more trust in me. Maybe more so than a Western crew who couldn't speak the language and was there for a week or something.

APA: What message do you hope the film is going to speak?

AL: For me, I just hope that people can learn something about Shaolin that they didn't know before and that they can kind of open their minds and hearts towards China. I think there's a lot of negative media about China, and although no country is perfect, there are a lot of wonderful things in that country. There's a very rich culture and tradition. I hope that my film can expand and be able to be seen by people of all races, age, sex. Because from my experience in Toronto, it was very diverse in terms of race; it was about half men and half women, I saw kids and old people. Hopefully if the film gets to the right avenues then it can be seen. That would be my hope.

Date Posted: 6/19/2009
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Sdaff

I just heard that The Real Shaolin will be showing at SDAFF this year. SDAFF starts in a few weeks so any of you in San Diego are advised to check it out.

Our film columnist, Dr. Craig Reid, will be speaking there this year too, on action films. Here is his past coverage of the the event (and he promises more for this year soon).
    2007: SAN DIEGO ASIAN FILM FESTIVAL: The See-World of Festivals
    2008: 2008 San Diego Asian Film Festival: Break Out the Hersheys in Southern California
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The Real Shaolin- October USA Festival Tour

Thanks Gene for spreading the word! Here's our official press release:

Dear friends,

After our sold-out world premiere at the Toronto Film Festival, my feature documentary The Real Shaolin is about to premiere at 4 film festivals across the United States during the month of October. The Real Shaolin is an award winning documentary about four people inspired by Kung Fu movies who journey to the Shaolin Temple in China to fulfill their dreams. I will be flying in from Beijing, China to attend all of these festivals. I would appreciate if you could spread the word to any of your friends who would like to watch the film play on the big screen.

Movie trailer here:
    http://www.realshaolin.com/trailer.html

Click on any of the blue links below for tickets and movie information:

NEW YORK CITY- Tuesday, 10/6 at 8pm
    Stranger than Fiction
    IFC Center, 323 Sixth Ave, NY 10014. Near 3rd St.
    http://stfdocs.com/films/the_real_shaolin1/

WASHINGTON DC- Wednesday, 10/7 at 8pm
    DC Asian Pacific American Film Festival
    Goethe Institut, 812 Seventh Street, NW, Washington, DC 20001
    http://www.apafilm.org/festival-2009/real-shaolin/

HONOLULU, HAWAII- Fri. 10/16 and Tues. 10/20
    Hawaii International Film Festival
    Screening 1- Friday, 10/16 at 9pm
    Screening 2- Tuesday, 10/20 at 8:45pm
    Dole Cannery F, 735 Iwilei Rd, Honolulu, HI 96817
    http://hawaii.bside.com/2009/films/r...the_hawaii2009

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA- Sun. 10/18, Sat. 10/24 and Sat. 10/28
    San Diego Asian Film Festival
    Screening 1- Sunday, 10/18 at 9:15pm
    Screening 2- Saturday, 10/24 at 2:50pm
    Screening 3- Saturday, 10/28 at 9:45pm
    Ultrastar Theater (Stella Artois), 7510 Hazard Center Drive, San Diego, CA 92108. Located off Friars Road at 163.
    http://sdaff.bside.com/2009/films/th...olin_sdaff2009

Best,
    Alexander Lee
    www.realshaolin.com

More on SDAFF

An interview on Alex
    EOE Interviews Filmmakers Alexander Sebastian Lee, Mikyung Kim and Jason Hoffman at the 2009 San Diego Asian Film Festival

Dawna Lee Heising and John Alsedek Film Eye on Entertainment on Time Warner Cable Segment with “The Real Shaolin” and “Going Home” Filmmakers

October 24, 2009 10/26/2009 01:14 AM GMT (TransWorldNews)

Dawna Lee Heising and John Alsedek of Eye on Entertainment on Time Warner Cable interviewed filmmakers Alexander Sebastian Lee, Mikyung Kim and Jason Hoffman at the UltraStar Theatre at the San Diego Asian Film Festival on Saturday, October 24, 2009.

The Real Shaolin is a 2008 documentary film directed by Alexander Sebastien Lee. The Real Shaolin follows the story of two Chinese and two Westerners who journey to the Shaolin Temple in China, inspired by the legends portrayed in Kung Fu movies with Bruce Lee and Jet Li. In the course of excruciating martial arts training, their fantasies to become Kung Fu warriors collide with harsh reality, as the Shaolin Temple is the ultimate test for martial artists from all over the world. "Real Shaolin" follows two Chinese and two Westerners who journey to the Shaolin Temple in central Henan province, inspired by the mythical feats from film heroes Li and others.

A Korean-American graduate of USC’s famed film school, Lee decided to make his documentary after venturing to Shaolin to see if he could survive the excruciating training. Lee, 29, a black-belt in tae kwon do and a first-time director who wrote, produced and shot the film, spent about 18 months filming two Chinese, Yuan Peng and Zhu Hao Shan, American Orion Lee and Frenchman Eric Guillou, as they spent 8 to 10 hours-a-day kicking, punching stretching, and just as important praying and meditating.

Since hardly anyone actually studies kung fu at the Shaolin Temple (it is mostly a tourist attraction now after surviving 1,500 years of wars and revolutions), Lee followed the four students in the nearby rural city of Dengfeng, dubbed "Kung Fu City" for its 40,000 students and 100 martial arts academies. “The Real Shaolin” has been screened at the Toronto Film Festival, in New York, Los Angeles and Hawaii and at SDAFF. “The Real Shaolin” won the Los Angeles Asian Pacific Film Festival Documentary Special Jury Prize on May 8, 2008. Lee now lives in Beijing, China, and is excited about pursuing a successful film career there.
    There's video...follow the link.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The Real Shaolin - DVD Launch

I'm excited to announce that after the sold-out world premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival and a successful worldwide festival tour, THE REAL SHAOLIN is finally available for purchase on DVD!

The limited edition DVD is available for purchase online directly from my website at: www.realshaolin.com

Just in time for the holidays, I'm offering a special discounted price of $19.99 until 12/31, making it the perfect gift for martial arts enthusiasts, Kung Fu film fans, spirituality seekers, or anyone interested in Asian culture and China. Don't miss out on this chance to bring this riveting documentary home!

Thanks for all your support!
    Alexander S. Lee
    ---

Recent praise for THE REAL SHAOLIN:

“An inside look at a hidden world, a look at the reality of a world shrouded in myth and legend… A fascinating view, a study of clashing cultures and the human spirit.”
    Twitch.com - Todd Brown, Founder

“The most provocative documentary to come out on Shaolin… [The director] weaves an intricate brocade that is both moving and profound.”
    Kung Fu Tai Chi Magazine - Gene Ching, Associate Publisher

Last edited by hanguolaohu; 12-21-2009 at 01:46 PM.

The most provocative documentary to come out on Shaolin…

Y'all heard it here first!

Congrats on the DVD, Alex. I'm still hoping you get a theatrical showing in S.F. someday.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips