Thread: Kung Fu Tops or Jackets

Kung Fu Tops or Jackets

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to know if anyone knew of a good kung fu top to train in that is "breathable". The ones we have now are cotton twill and dont ventilate. They make us hot and stuffy. Any suggestions or preferences that you all use to train in?

Thanks.

have you looked into shuai jiao jackets? Do you do a lot of throws? they are certainly open and airy.

http://www.usadojo.com/Images/articl...harng-face.jpg
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Wear

a

t-shirt

Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

One of the best parts of BJJ or Judo is that the jackets are extremely HOT! It makes you sweat more and get used to the heat. Sweating is good for you. I prefer to train in very hot temperatures and so should you!
    A unique snowflake

Eastern State Mental Hospital Psych Ward, Room 12
    Quote Originally Posted by masherdong View Post
    Hello everyone,

I just wanted to know if anyone knew of a good kung fu top to train in that is "breathable". The ones we have now are cotton twill and dont ventilate. They make us hot and stuffy. Any suggestions or preferences that you all use to train in?

Thanks.

A company called Jonie Uniforms make good quality uniforms. They have uniforms made of silk, satin, cotton, and cotton/poly. They have long sleeve tops and they have no sleeved tops. They have southern style and northern style uniforms. I can't remember thier web address but you can google their name and find them. They are pretty reasonably priced.

Quote Originally Posted by mkriii View Post
    A company called Jonie Uniforms make good quality uniforms. They have uniforms made of silk, satin, cotton, and cotton/poly. They have long sleeve tops and they have no sleeved tops. They have southern style and northern style uniforms. I can't remember thier web address but you can google their name and find them. They are pretty reasonably priced.
    Yes, I have been there. I just dont know which material would be better to train in.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Superior also makes great uniforms. We buy their poly/cotton pants and they are thick and very durable.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    very few all cotton or poly/cotton blends are going to breathe

just wear a t-shirt as Simon suggests...

I wear an Under Armour Heatgear shirt under my cotton t's or any of the wicking tshirts and it really helps, it might help under a kung fu top
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

try Wing Lam

Well although I agree with the Tshirt thing....I was thinking perhaps the Shaolin vest on WLE would be very comfortable and it looks great too..

http://www.wle.com//products/u031.html

or maybe their training uniform it's a satin blend of some kind

http://www.wle.com//products/u024b.html
    Last edited by No_SuRReNDeR; 08-06-2008 at 02:58 PM. Reason: forget something
    “Build rather than destroy,
    Avoid rather than check,
    Check rather than maim,
    Maim rather than kill,
    For all life is precious,
    Nor can any be replaced” - Chuen Yuan, Li Shou, Pai Yu Feng

Clarification

I guess I should clarify. Our students wear t-shirts. As for me, I am an asst instructor and we wear the tops. Now, we do the workouts with our tops on but, if we are not assisting with classes, then we wear the t-shirts. This is why I was asking this question. Sorry for the confusion.

under armor?
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

I never understand the issue here...

For demos, I understand having a standard school outfit. Whether this is the same top and pants, pants and a t-shirt, or whatever...

We do that for group sets and then also have individual silk uniforms. So, if I am in a group demo of - say Tantui, I would be wearing the school pants and t shirt. Then, if I were to come out doing a solo set or a 2 person set, I would most likely have silks...

Silks are NOT a good thing for everyday practice. feel good...but too expensive to be practical.

The heavy cotton tops...been there, done that... OK for winter...but even then they get soaked.

The sleeveless...never liked them. Personally, I really don't want to be looking at someone's sweaty pits... My teacher was the same...sleeveless were not allowed...we did NOT do shirtless ever...

I have totally soaked shirts and had to change mine 3 times in a class....no big deal unless you forget to get them all out of the car when you get home.

masherdong, you are in the Houston area right. There is an outfit there called Beijing Imports that sell Fist brand uniforms. They might fit your need.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

I realize this is a MartialArts MArt place...so hoping not to offend...

Beijing imports has the following...and a couple of others :

Tshirt – lasts forever
    http://buykungfu.com/store/large/cmf...rts_white.html

mid-length sleeve jacket – sort of hot for summer workout in Houston
    http://buykungfu.com/store/large/gp0...ve_Jacket.html

masherdong, you are in the Houston area right. There is an outfit there called Beijing Imports that sell Fist brand uniforms. They might fit your need.
    Yes, that is Nelson Chin's business. That is where we bought our kung fu tops from. I do like that 3/4 sleeve though. Next time I make a run for my sifu to pick something up, I will try that black/red top.