Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: More Tanglang Chuji Sanda (free-fighting) clips

More Tanglang Chuji Sanda (free-fighting) clips

Link to part 2 of our chuji sanda clips. There is also a part 3 that was uploaded today (don't have the link on me). You should be able to search it if interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ2z_QUvjN8

BT

Mr. Tunks

As usual good stuff. Your boys are definitely "likes to fight guys"! A couple of them do something I liked. In a sort of hopping retreat they lash out with a short hook upstairs, sweet. I like your guys aggressiveness.
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

Thumbs up

Hi Brendan,

Thanks for sharing the exciting clips. At about 2:04 - 2:05 of part 2, I found myself screaming for a scissors leg takedown. Man, it's good stuff. I think overall your guys have fast and powerful hands. Personally, I like the dark skin guy in gray pants who is in the first match and also the non gloved match in the middle. That part is beautiful. It's a great thing to see a guy actually work his way to adapt to his opponents and at the same time finding his own "style" of fighting. The only thing (somewhat of a flaw) is that he's pretty much ignore being in the headlock and getting hit in the head. I believe he's taking advantage of the protective gear, which could lead him to think it's okay to get shot at like that. In honorable fight situation that would be fine. But I believe it is prudent for him to work on gaining control of the opponent's free arm before going for a pick up. For in the unfortunate event of a street fight, the presence of a weapon (ie knife) can drastically change the out of coming of a simple headlock situation. Of course it's easier said than done and a bit hypothetical. But it's my take on that. Hope you don't mind my saying so. Great job by all that's for sure.

Warmest regards

Robert
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Thumbs up

Hi Brendan,

Thanks for sharing the exciting clips. At about 2:04 - 2:05 of part 2, I found myself screaming for a scissors leg takedown. Man, it's good stuff. I think overall your guys have fast and powerful hands. Personally, I like the dark skin guy in gray pants who is in the first match and also the non gloved match in the middle. That part is beautiful. It's a great thing to see a guy actually work his way to adapt to his opponents and at the same time finding his own "style" of fighting. The only thing (somewhat of a flaw) is that he's pretty much ignore being in the headlock and getting hit in the head. I believe he's taking advantage of the protective gear, which could lead him to think it's okay to get shot at like that. In honorable fight situation that would be fine. But I believe it is prudent for him to work on gaining control of the opponent's free arm before going for a pick up. For in the unfortunate event of a street fight, the presence of a weapon (ie knife) can drastically change the out of coming of a simple headlock situation. Of course it's easier said than done and a bit hypothetical. But it's my take on that. Hope you don't mind my saying so. Great job by all that's for sure.

Warmest regards

Robert
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Quote Originally Posted by mantis108 View Post
    Hi Brendan,

Warmest regards

Robert
    Thanks Robert!

No, you are completely right. The headgear makes them ignore their defences badly (which is why we alternate between gear and no gear). There are a lot of big errors throughout, such as continually going for double leg takedowns with bad timing and leaving the head and neck vulnerable. Hopefully I can work them through this. Good thing about those masks though, they still get k.o'd and concussed from time to time so at least they feel some consequences.

Cheers.

BT

Quote Originally Posted by yu shan View Post
    Mr. Tunks

As usual good stuff. Your boys are definitely "likes to fight guys"! A couple of them do something I liked. In a sort of hopping retreat they lash out with a short hook upstairs, sweet. I like your guys aggressiveness.
    Thanks Jim.

Yep, at least they like to get in there and don't mind getting smashed. J, has a very sharp hook. Working on his straight striking now.

BT

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    ya, nice stuff. left a comment earlier on youtube.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Question: where, in traditional mantis, are you finding the double leg?
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    Question: where, in traditional mantis, are you finding the double leg?
    O,

Off the top of the head, as there is more than one- one of the applications of mopan with double or linked piercing is double leg (at the lower frame).

Any evidence of it in your material? Maybe Kevin has a take on it, if he's reading.

BT

well, so far, my mantis sets are just: xiao fanche, bengbu, xiao si shou, tanglang chuei (sp?) and the first road of Ba Kui (sp?) or '8 Fast'

our preliminary sets are: babu lian hua, shaolin shi ba shou and 'Iron Fist' as I have learned them

xiao fanche and xiao si shou share a move that is a great set up for shooting the double leg (or single leg): a big hook to the head that changes direction and cuts down to the mid or lower gates as you drop levels with the body.

shi ba shou's 'carry the basket maneuver' can be modified to take the legs, imo but is originally an arm breaking throwing back over your uprooting leg...I train my folks to switch to the double/single if the original technique fails.

i'd have to think about the rest but those are places i have my folks train to look for the double as an option.

BT-
    You wouldn't have an example would you? I too am interested, but I do not see it in anything I know.
    Thanks
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Three Harmonies View Post
    BT-
    You wouldn't have an example would you? I too am interested, but I do not see it in anything I know.
    Thanks
    Jake
    Jake- I'll show you when i meet you.

BT

BT, you have anything on the form you are referring too? **video, that is**

Jim, what was that drill you showed me once? wasn't is 'mo pan shou' or something? the first move could be an entry to a single/double

and, there is an application Jim showed me that he got from Shifu for the 5th mantis road that is a deng pu w/ an underhook on the near side arm that could be changed to a single/double.

i guess I feel like I don't see any actual S/D takedowns but many entering movements that set you up for that option.

so, i'm eager to see some

Matt,

No I don't, sorry. It was a big enough stretch and shift in attitude to get me to post what I have so far (and mainly so I could avoid having to type about fighting). On a technical front, my student who did the clip is off to England this week for 3 years so I will have do any future stuff myself and i'm not particularly keen on posting clips of taolu or applications anyway.

As far as single leg takedowns there are many (though many are from inside to outside gate), majority beginning from knee smashes (in our versions of lanjie, zhaiyao yilu for example). To be fair though, I will expand on the first example I gave. Mo pan is to break or neutralise the guard, double piercing is consecutive (when seen in taolu or drills) but can be simultaneous in application, depending on the target. At the higher frame, double quan chui to the back of neck/base of skull (or jaw followed by back of neck), which can be brought forward/pulled in to knee in the face. At the middle frame the arms come to the small of back (either outside or inside on or both of the opponents arms) and the upper body lead by the head forces the opponent up and back, inner or outer leg hooking makes the throw worse, to land head and back first on the ground. At the lower frame, hooks come to the back of the knees, in and up. the shoulder and head ram forward, upward and outward. You can see this in the first fenduan of our duo gang (aka cuo/zuo gang), for example.

We have a minimum of 4 versions of almost every application and for many techniques, even more. The example I gave of variance at each frame (high, middle and low) is only one factor, left and right side is the other obvious consideration. Beyond taolu we also independantly drill many striking, kicking, na and throwing techniques (as does Robert's school of Taichi/Taiji TLQ). Some of these you will be hard pressed to pinpoint in taolu. They are definitely still Tanglang, taught by masters of Tanglang who learnt from masters of Tanglang. Taolu is only one piece of the pie. However, both kinds of takedown are also present in the forms.

What you are referring to earlier in your fanche could be lan ma, also from your (and other) version of lanjie. It is not in our versions of either taolu but we have the same technique elsewhere and it certainly can be used for takedown.

No worries, if you guys don't see this in your Tanglang. It may not be there. Afterall, we all learnt from different teachers. Eg. I doubt whether a cross shoulder ('firemans lift') throw ending in an arm bar over the lead knee is your application for the mi zhou attack at the start of Bai Yuan Chu Dong. Some schools are more wrestling oriented, just as others are more qinna or strike oriented. Eg. I have seen some schools of Tanglang that have no throwing whatsoever (apart from knock down or trips, and only two of them at that).

T
    Last edited by B.Tunks; 08-11-2008 at 10:37 PM.