Thread: Nunchaku skills

Nunchaku skills

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries
    Traditional seems vicious.

I No_Know
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

So...ive been working with nunchaku for about 8 years. I've never had any formal lessons from anyone, just got my self really familiar with the tool and practice with it on a daily basis, if even only for a few minutes.

What are your thoughts on the differences between to two videos i linked?

Are there distinct chinese variations of the usage of these? Similar to the strictly outlined japanese methods, or more free?

To me, it seems I can still get enough power with many strikes without having my grip at the bottom of the chuck. although I can definately feel the power involved in the japanese method. combined with hand strikes from the offhand, grabs and kicks, there seems to also be a bonus to going against the japanese grain and holding the weapon higher up for closer tension based strikes. Ive broken tons of wood with a large variation of grips and techniques. thinking on that, hitting someone in the head/face/hand/shoulder/colarbone/etc. with less than a full power swing from a japanese grip doesnt seem to be too much less to make that big of a difference.

I wouldnt ever really need to worry about hitting people wearing full armor, or helmets, so....

who are the chukers out there?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    so....

who are the chukers out there?
    Raises Hand!

Never broke any wood w/them but I 've been practicing them on and off for a REAL
    long time.
    And I believe control is much,much better the closer you hold them to the chain. I usually only lower my grip in sparring for a better reach.
    Mr. T invented fools, then feeling bad about it, invented pity

http://www.cansfordan.com

http://www.fightfordan.com

Quote Originally Posted by ingchao View Post
    Raises Hand!

Never broke any wood w/them but I 've been practicing them on and off for a REAL
    long time.
    And I believe control is much,much better the closer you hold them to the chain. I usually only lower my grip in sparring for a better reach.
    sweet. breaking wood with em isnt really that big of a deal, you could do it sleeping. its just fun. and good for acuracy.

I feel like Ive got a lot more control more near the cord (i perfer corded to chain for some reason, I think because I can fix em easy when they break. There is this guy on youtube who showed how to recycle broken chain chucks tho ) It does seem like power diminishes but I'm pretty sure even if i grip near the top i could still split a skull pretty easily.

I more than often use a pair of oak octogon chucks ive had for a long time. I dont really hit myself with them anymore, but from the times in the past that I did, and not at full force, I gained a lot of respect for the damage these suckers and put out.

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries
    Length, in swing can vary Power.

Where it swings nearthe rope it is not held but by mumentum or some force likethat. This might be directable by the opponent.

If you have more control away from the end of the grip perhaps you have less skill, and find this more do-able.

If you have them, they have you. a grip away from the end might limit options if the other rod gets caught.

I saw one style is easier to lose the item than the other.

When the 'chucks become as a disc it seems more suitable for scaring at best. Unless you have a sai for when you lose your chucks...

No_Know

I think it can be used to develop strength and dexterity perhaps. Continued success with your remakable training Lucas and ingchao. I think you have gotten benefits from your practice. Good Work.

I No_Know
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

dont hit yourself with them it hurts.

shaolin nunchaku?

Ive started to build my own set with nunchuaku combining my shaolin red fist techniques and methods. as ive taught myself the nunchaku over a span of 8 years, the only formally learned material entering this will be from my xiaohongquan and dahongquan.

just for my own practice of course. something formalized that works what I feel to be realistic nunchaku strikes and techs with that of strong offensive, and defensive footwork. combined with kicks, hand strikes, blocks, and couple basic throws.

this will give me a great framework to practice all of my nunchaku techniques in a sequence.

im keeping with linear footwork as is the red fist boxing, but I will have focus to each side as well as forward and backward rotation.

ive been doing this for a few months now and have decided on my opening (nothing fancy, like a lot of kungfu, this is meant to be in the realm of realism as well) and the first several movements.

I am keeping this realistic, so the strikes are generally wide range, extended powerful strikes. simple hand offs, and defensive cover with the off hand as well as footwork/stances.

also to keep in mind I am using nice heavy oak chucks. each strike is meant to be able to damage bone.

I have to say, its some of the most fun ive ever had with my martial arts. im a bit of a perfectionist so I think this is going to take me a very long time to accomplish to my personal satisfaction. once I am happy with the outcome, ill try to find someone to film me and will post it.

dont hold your breath though, its going to be a while.

Xie Desheng

Chinese nunchaku master swings high to hit world records
    By Cao Chen | China Daily | Updated: 2020-06-19 07:49

Xie Desheng, a Shanghai-based freelance nunchaku instructor, wins three Guinness World Records for his stunt performances.[Photo provided to China Daily]

Driven by his fascination with martial arts legend Bruce Lee and nunchaku, Xie Desheng has gone on to win not just one but three Guinness World Records.

The nunchaku practitioner from Guangdong province earned his first world record in June last year when he extinguished 52 candles in a minute using the weapon.

His second was earned in April this year when he hit 32 ping-pong balls in one minute.

The 28-year-old followed up on that feat by winning another title the same month, unscrewing 10 bottle caps with a nunchaku in 34.8 seconds.

Xie may have been a nunchaku practitioner for a decade, but he does not simply enter these competitions without preparation. In fact, he says he trains for almost a year just to prepare for each Guinness World Record attempt.

Xie, who is currently a Shanghai-based freelance nunchaku instructor, first learned about this form of martial arts when he was a restaurant waiter in Dongguan, Guangdong province, in 2009.

"I love watching martial artist and actor Bruce Lee's nunchaku scenes in movies. Once, when watching one of my colleagues use the nunchaku, I was impressed by the neat movements and thought that it could be a self-defense skill," says Xie.

Since that moment, Xie has spent most of his spare time scouring web for instructional materials. He has even traveled to Hunan, Hubei and Henan provinces to attend classes and engage with beginners and experts. During his time in these provinces, he stayed financially afloat by taking on part-time jobs.

"But life was less beautiful than I had imagined it to be. Constantly practicing the nunchaku made me too exhausted to work. With a rather unstable source of income, I basically depended on my limited personal savings," he says."But I didn't want to give up."

Xie says that he draws motivation from his nunchaku, which have been with him through the ups and downs in life. He shares that his father died when he was 15 years old and his mother later abandoned him.

Xie Desheng, a Shanghai-based freelance nunchaku instructor, wins three Guinness World Records for his stunt performances.[Photo provided to China Daily]

"A child who grows up in an environment like mine might become cold-hearted and self-abased when he enters adulthood and may embark on the road of doing bad things.

"But when I wield my nunchaku, I know I have dreams and the desire to change my fate. I feel confident and driven."

His persistence in the face of adversity eventually paid off.

In 2016, Xie took part in the 14th Hong Kong Wushu International Championship and was crowned the champion from among 500 nunchaku contestants. He went on to win competitions in Taiwan and Macao that year.

In 2018, he was awarded the gold prize at the 4th Malaysia International Wushu Tournament.

These days, Xie earns a living by conducting short-term training courses in Shanghai every year. He has coached over 5,000 people since moving to the city in 2016. Xie also regularly updates his public account on Chinese social media app WeChat on which he shares tips and information about nunchaku.

Zeng Shaoyu is one of the keen followers of Xie's public account on WeChat. Although he lives in Jiangxi province, around 700 kilometers from Shanghai, Zeng has no qualms taking the train to Shanghai to attend classes.

"He is a caring yet strict teacher who strives for perfection. He gives the most detailed instructions of movements to every student patiently and explains the theories vividly. I have never missed a class," Zeng says.

Xie says he aspires to spread nunchaku culture to more countries.

"Bruce Lee is my idol. If possible, I hope to become an actor," he says.
    threads
    Martial-Arts-World-Records-and-Stunts
    Nunchaku-skills
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart