So...ive been working with nunchaku for about 8 years. I've never had any formal lessons from anyone, just got my self really familiar with the tool and practice with it on a daily basis, if even only for a few minutes.

What are your thoughts on the differences between to two videos i linked?

Are there distinct chinese variations of the usage of these? Similar to the strictly outlined japanese methods, or more free?

To me, it seems I can still get enough power with many strikes without having my grip at the bottom of the chuck. although I can definately feel the power involved in the japanese method. combined with hand strikes from the offhand, grabs and kicks, there seems to also be a bonus to going against the japanese grain and holding the weapon higher up for closer tension based strikes. Ive broken tons of wood with a large variation of grips and techniques. thinking on that, hitting someone in the head/face/hand/shoulder/colarbone/etc. with less than a full power swing from a japanese grip doesnt seem to be too much less to make that big of a difference.

I wouldnt ever really need to worry about hitting people wearing full armor, or helmets, so....

who are the chukers out there?