Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: September / October 2008

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing;877708But still, hooks are really cool and a personal fav of mine. I wrote a short piece for our featured weapon on hooks back in our [URL="http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=136"
    2001 May/June issue[/URL]: Kungfu's Deadly Twin Hooks

Gene, I think you would enjoy this article by Randy Choy, my kung fu uncle. Also, Alex Tse just put up a vid of his own performance of double hooks. (filmed in the 80's in super8)
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

Chen Yun Ching

This is in reference to the article we ran in this issue: The Legacy of Chen Pan-Ling By Brian Bruning
    Learning from the master
    Frederick martial arts students learn from Taiwanese master
    Originally published October 03, 2008
    By Nicholas C. Stern
    News-Post Staff
    Photo by Travis Pratt

Mark Small began practicing martial arts more than 30 years ago. The Asheville, N.C., native's first teachers were from Taiwan.

So when he heard that Chen Yun Ching, a 70-year-old martial arts grandmaster from Taiwan, was giving a five-day series of classes for the first time in Frederick, he rushed to Maryland.

"His credentials are extensive," Small said. "That's what master Chen is great at; he's standardized his father's ... practice and made it available to all audiences, no matter your age or health condition."

Small was among more than a dozen students who had a chance to learn from Chen last month at John Scott's martial arts studio in Frederick.

Scott's former teacher was a disciple of Chen's and he has studied Chen Pan Ling (Chen Yun Ching's father) style, which he now teaches in Frederick, for more than 20 years.

Last year, on a training visit to Taiwan, Scott said Chen approached him while they were walking through the mountains and mentioned he'd like to visit Frederick.

"It was quite an honor for him to ask me and tell me he wanted to come," he said.

Since then, Scott has anxiously prepared for the visit. He said when he told Chen that Frederick Mayor Jeff Holtzinger declared Wednesday to be Chen Yun Ling Day, the martial arts expert shed tears of appreciation.

"He's a wonderful guy," Scott said.

Carrying on the tradition

Chen Yun Ching, speaking through a translator, said he began studying his father's special blend of martial arts at age 8.

Chen Pan Ling's father was a wealthy man from China who hired several martial arts masters from various disciplines, including Tai Chi Chuan, Shing-i, Ba Gua Zhang, Shaolin and Seng Chuan, a rare form of mountain boxing, to teach his children. Chen Pan Ling then synthesized these various forms into a comprehensive technique.

As is traditional in China, the art has been handed down to Chen Yun Ching as a sort of inheritance.

In 1999, Chen retired from his career with the Tai Chung bus company in Taiwan, and began spreading the lessons of his father throughout the world.

Martial arts are a great way to maintain health and provide for self-defense, Chen said.

American students have surprised him with their earnestness and attention to the minute details of his teachings, Chen said.

Even though the United States has put men in space, Chen said he is amazed when Americans can't understand how Tai Chi is good for their health. One reason may be because the deliberate, graceful exercise focuses more on breathing and developing strength and flexibility in the inner organs.

Adam Finkelstein of Frederick and his wife, Kelly Rausch, have been studying with Scott for about a year.

Finkelstein said having Chen available to suggest subtle adjustments has made a difference in his form.

"He's a gentle, friendly expert with a good sense of humor," Finkelstein said.

Denise Giles began studying with Scott about six months ago for health reasons.

Giles, who retired from a government job, said the physical and psychological stress caused from a busy lifestyle builds up over time and becomes difficult to notice.

"With martial arts, you've got to concentrate, and concentration alleviates stress," she said.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Forgot to ttt this thread

This cover appears in The Girl Who Played with Fire.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

BAH! We RICHARD'S are starting to feel unloved!

Richard "Cranium" Tolson

Nice two-year old ttt, Richard!

On another note, I just authored an article on Tiger Hooks in the present issue. See The King of Beasts in our 2010 September/October issue.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips