Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: 10,001 ways to strengthen the fist

Steel and stone ( solid) have no give, this is NOT good for "forging" your hands.
    IF these mediums are suspended for example, that is better because you have some give, but covering them with a thin layer of cloth or leather would be wise to protect the skin.
    Last edited by sanjuro_ronin; 07-07-2010 at 01:00 PM.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Steel and stone ( solid) have no give, this is NOT good for "forging" your hands.
    only if you are hitting these surfaces too hard... they do have bounce.
    IF these mediums are suspended for example, that is better because you have some give, but covering them with a thin layer of cloth or leather would be wise to protect the skin.
    LOL... it's not about forging the skin.

fingertip pull ups on a steel i-beam. we were waiting for concrete one morning and there was an i-beam way over our heads, just high enough that you had to jump up to reach it - the edge was just barely enough room for the tips of the fingers to the first knuckle...

LOL... just the other day we had a demo sledge on the job, a 20lber and i couldn't help but muse over a certain individuals assumption that i was physically incapable of holding a sledgehammer at the base of the handle and lower the head onto my forehead... so... i further demonstrated to myself and my co-workers that i could infact do it also with a 20lb sledge aswell.

hehehe... if i had all the money where my mouth was over this comment of his, i'd be a millionaire.

get a job as a carpenters assistant and swing a hammer all day. will workout your grip like no other

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    If it vibrates, it has give.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOZLSt2okAY

I do this every once in a while - Best not to do it every week, though (Once a month feels satisfying to me.)

A key for me is sound - there's a definite difference between a localized sound where the strike is and a general shuddering sound of the structure.

Still haven't gotten the roof to rattle yet.
    Last edited by Xiao3 Meng4; 09-07-2010 at 09:01 AM.
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by Justinrohrman View Post
    get a job as a carpenters assistant and swing a hammer all day. will workout your grip like no other
    holding linesmans as an electrician all day does a good job too... pretty much any manual labour will harden you one way or another... to be honest tho, i hate how trashed my hands get at work... i get exema sometimes, which is so annoying... but the callouses suck too... as a martial artist you dont have to make a callous to have strong hands, but at work its inevitable... you cant stop and put on lotions and all that, every hour... oil and dirt for 8 hours, wash for eating, thats about it...

Quote Originally Posted by gareththomasnz View Post
    Nail and rebar bending.

Power twister training.

Gymnastic ring training.

Breaking matches between the fingers.

Bending beer bottle tops.

Crushing apples and soda cans.

Brick lifting.

Weighted Pullups.

Farmers Walk.

Finger tip pushups.

Twisting and cutting steel wire with pliers.

Rope Climbing & Tug-O-War

Gripping a door and leaning back with your body weight.

Lifting a chair from a single leg with one hand.

Tearing phone books and card packs.

Screwing up newspapers and towels on a single hand.

Carrying heavy buckets and weights over distance in your hands.

Lifting heavy boulders and rocks.
    very nice... i knew there were others out there with a creatively active mind.

"wash" your hands in buckets of gravel, iron shot, steel shot, ball-bearings.....

I got this one from Zhong Luo's training footage.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

all push up variations on ice... no gloves.

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    all push up variations on ice... no gloves.
    push ups on basketballs in between your hands and the ice.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

usie an old fashioned hand drill with a 2 inch bit, a chisel, and a hammer to make holes in a log for an iron-armed wing chun dummy.

after chiseling garnets out of a mine...

throw them into a five gallon bucket of sand and water - rotate wrists quickly back and forth to create a yin-yang polishing technique. added materials increases weight... can also swing them while you do this.

Just keep being a stone mason, your hands will toughen naturally.

Alternately, a car mechanic has strong and conditioned hands as well.
    Hot metal, heavy parts, reefing on torque wrenches, lifting hot parts etc...all contributes to the conditioning.

Being a sailor is also good. Especially on a tall ship...

Just work them.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Interesting post..

Why an arbitary # like 10,000?