Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 10,001 ways to strengthen the fist

my girlfriend and i emptied and laid down a whole 10 yards of concrete yesterday from a concrete truck... we used concrete rakes... i'll count it as one idea.

it's an expansion on my martial arts training patio... time to play now.

push ups on bricks... here's some pics...

i have yet to master on the back of hands on bricks.

We used to have to haul these big cans of 7.62mm. We'd take a truck out to the bomb dump, get like 40-50 cans and haul them back to our storage. We'd unload em in our storage til they were called for. Then we'd load up what was needed and head out to the chopper. We'd have 3 sortie x3 choppers a day.

We weighed the cans one day. Can+Ammo+Links (miniguns are chain feed)+Packing material= about 130 pounds per can. So while its not really a whole lot of weight...dead that about 40 times, sometimes carrying them it up to 20 yards before unloading the weight. And of course at the time I was the lowest ranking so guess who got to do most of the work? Yeppers. And wouldn't you know it by the time I made NCO they smartened up the process and just got someone to bring us what we needed prior to the mission....

Not really fist training I guess though.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo KungFu View Post
    Not really fist training I guess though.
    a strong fist is useless without a strong body.

splitting wood with one hand(using a maul of course).

cartwheels on the backs of mantis fist...

cjurakpt Guest
    making it swim against the current over and ove...oh, sorry: fist; in that case, doing 8 hours a day of manual therapy...

doing cartwheels while grasping an iron ball in each hand.

i'd like to think i could do a cartwheel while holding an iron ring in each hand, but i can't say that i can because i don't have two iron rings to practice with.

depending on who you are talking to, the head is considered a fist also, so in this regard... picking up a 5 gallon bucket of mortar with your teeth is a good way to strengthen the muscles and body that hold the head up.

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    definitely a quality master-instructor kinda guy... has a weak stomach when it comes to reading posts he can't understand yet.

here's a cool mason sledgehammer trick... take sledgehammer, hold end of handle(on extended arm) in the vertical position(head at top), slowly lower the head down onto your forehead-return to starting position... obviously make sure your wrists are strong enough or else.

i juggle 3 trowels sometimes.
    Hey, I'd like to see that one! Why don't you video it.....you're a mason, right?

And please be specific as to what type of sledge you are going to use, 12lb, 10, Styrofoam, plastic, etc.

I like to see you put your money where your mouth is. I thought it was impressive that you could juggle those iron balls. I think your juggling was far more impressive than you strength however.

Oh, and the wrist push ups? Not that big a deal at all. But can you flip from palms to back of the hands and do a push up in between? and can you do it for a minute straight? Or do...I don't know...say 100 of them non-stop?

Put up those videos and I will surely respect that. I only say this to you because you are quick to point out all of these great training methods, but besides 'juggling', what can you really do?

Quote Originally Posted by Lama Pai Sifu View Post
    Hey, I'd like to see that one! Why don't you video it.....you're a mason, right?
    seriously... we use 8lb'ers at work(maybe they're 10)... it's an old mason tough guy trick my boss told me about. LOL... some people crack their head. i don't lie big guy... i'd like to believe that even you would've understood that by now. trust me... i really wish i had a video recorder.
    And please be specific as to what type of sledge you are going to use, 12lb, 10, Styrofoam, plastic, etc.
    wooden handles... i do have an all metal 12 pound maul... you just gave me the inspiration to do that one.
    I like to see you put your money where your mouth is. I thought it was impressive that you could juggle those iron balls. I think your juggling was far more impressive than you strength however.
    i'm an optical illusion. seriously... ever train throws with a 5 foot lentil?? sit in the horse stance with one across your legs? you can pick them up at any mason supply yard... i don't know exactly what they weigh in as, but they are quite heavy - cost like 20-25 bucks. my job is no joke... and i wasn't joking about running that 5 time gold medal lei tai winner, who fought in the infinite division, off the job... he couldn't handle the work load.
    Oh, and the wrist push ups? Not that big a deal at all.
    doesn't matter if they are a big deal or not... this is simply an inspiration thread for people to become inspired by.
    But can you flip from palms to back of the hands and do a push up in between?
    yep.
    and can you do it for a minute straight?
    yep.
    Or do...I don't know...say 100 of them non-stop?
    good question... i never actually counted, but i can do quite a few... i also do them on the ground and have done them on 2b gravel, but i can't do nearly as many before the back of my hand gets sore. what do you think all that iron ball juggling works out? seriously... iron ball juggling is no joke. just because my forearms aren't tree trunks like yours, doesn't mean they are not strong... i am hardly a push over.
    Put up those videos and I will surely respect that.
    like i said before, i wish i had a video... i most definitely would put up vids.
    I only say this to you because you are quick to point out all of these great training methods, but besides 'juggling', what can you really do?
    every single one i posted here(except for cart wheels holding an iron ring in each hand - i only have one)... right there in the beginning i made a point to say that these are only exercises that i have done.

thanks for responding and again i would like to point out that i am not a liar... i do my best to keep things real. do you think i would be such an aggressive dipsh!t if i wasn't atleast somewhat confident of myself?

so for sh!ts and giggles today i was messing around with the sledge at the job... i believe it is an 8lb'er - 33 1/2 inch handle... i grasped it at the end, fully extended horizontal arm... let it down onto my forehead, put it back up vertical(a few times to see if this was infact for real). reflecting on it, i don't think it's that difficult, only the fear break of smashing your face. in any case it's merely one of those "been there, done that kinda things".

i'll chime in once i use my metal maul... of course there's only a few peeps here who take my word on things, but then again, that's not my problem... i know who i am and what i can do... be inspired folks, it's all i can do but offer free inspirational ideas, which apparently one credible individual classifies as being great training.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    ever train throws with a 5 foot lentil?? sit in the horse stance with one across your legs? you can pick them up at any mason supply yard... i don't know exactly what they weigh in as, but they are quite heavy - cost like 20-25 bucks.
    20-25 bucks for ONE lentil? How much for a can? I'd rather eat meat. It's cheaper.
    And a five foot lentil? That's alot of fiber. That must keep you regular.
    How big a pot would you need to make soup with such a lentil?
    You'd have vegans camping outside your door if they knew you had lentils like that.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    20-25 bucks for ONE lentil? How much for a can? I'd rather eat meat. It's cheaper.
    And a five foot lentil? That's alot of fiber. That must keep you regular.
    How big a pot would you need to make soup with such a lentil?
    You'd have vegans camping outside your door if they knew you had lentils like that.
    LOL.................. that would be LINTEL - got my i's and e's mixed up.

hmmmm... i did the mason sledgehammer trick with a 10lb'er... next up: one finger into a watermelon.