Thread: What is or are the non...

What is or are the non...

... Chinese martial art/s that influences your kung fu the most?

For me- it's the old school arts of Miyamar and Siam. Good ol' Burmese boxing, Muay Borat and Boran, and Krabi Kabong.

I never studied them- but I like to watch them 'cuz I can really see the Chinese MA influence, yet they have a hardness to them that I'd like to emulate.

Boxing, Fencing, Judo, JJJ

I have studied or competed in all four at least a little. No major accomplishments in any of them but all have influenced my Gongfu.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Track and Field-specifically running. I was never a fast runner, so I had to learn Martial Arts.

western boxing. Apparently my old kungfu teacher used to study it in China a loooong time ago.

My sifu is a huge proponent of boxing. He says he gets so frustrated talking to other sifus who dismiss it as "not Chinese".
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

used to be in the yookay, but now in my own little world.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    hard to say, I have studied alot of other arts and everything creeps into my training.
    I would definately credit Tang Soo Do and Ji Do Kwan TKD for my kicks, although I started in Northern Shaolin, and learned many kicks there, the Korean Arts really drilled them and taught usage.

Kali for footwork drills and blade usage, as well as the stick training which directly correspond to the dan-dao and gim.

Hakko-Ryu Jiu-Jutsu for joint-locking. The syllabus I was taught was very well thought out: each lock would be practiced from right and left single wrist grab, two on two, two on one, sleeve, lapel, punch. I added to this attacking the opponent first to perform the lock-for security professions, etc.
    I first learned joint-locking in Hapkido, but there was no strict order to the teaching.

Muay Thai, Muay Boran, and Muay Chaiya for kicks, knees, elbows, takedowns,and great shin conditioning etc

I have a student that did collegieate wrestling and greco-roman, so he adds spice to the grappling. My other student practices judo and bjj, so that enters the mix as well.

Richard Barathy was an influence to alot of training methods as well. He used to teach a small class out of my school, so I got to experience his American Combat Karate first hand.

Kyokushin was my first introduction to sanchin kata and hard bare knuckle sparring techniques I still use in my school to this day

Western Boxing-I was lucky. My TKD instructor taught western boxing in his school, and there was a Golden Gloves boxer who ran some of the classes there as well. Ducking, bobbing, slipping, etc plus great combos. And of course, the value of taking a good shot.

I had a student who did Silat and his locking techniques were unique, and very viscious. I still practice them and they creep into my grappling as well.

Chicks dig a dude that can whoop ass. At least that's how it was in my H.S.

Now that I have gotten older, chick dig "big" As in:
    Big car
    Big paycheck
    Big Mr Happy/Willie/Love Stick
    Big House
    Big investment portfolio/bank account.

HS was much simplier times.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

interesting question

Judo, Fencing & Kendo - Haven't practiced any of these in years, but they were very influential in my youth.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Chan Tai San's CMA was already influenced by western boxing and Japanese Judo... can't discount that influence in what I learned

Initially, my biggest non CMA influence was boxing as well.... then I was of course influenced by a lot of grappling: BJJ, free style wrestling, Greco Roman, sambo. I have to admit to Muay Thai influence over the years as well
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

i can say without a doubt that outside of my mixed martial arts curriculum(as taught at my gym, so regardless of ti being many arts completely open to new things and change so not really a system, but for the purposes of this thread discussion i'm going to have you to think of it as a system just like any other)

so yeah i'd say outside of my normal routine it would be Tae Kwon Do and modern wushu that have influenced me the most

tkd was the first martial art i studied when i got kicked out of swimming class for being an ass at 7 years old and i did it for about 3 years which drilled really great and difficult kicks into me and i had a really good teacher who was an olympic silver medalist so i didnt learn to float in the air spin 3 times and then kick i just learnt how to kick really **** fast and accurately.

and modern wushu from one when i was doing my crappy watered down version of hung gar for 2 years because we all did the line drills (crescent kicks dynamic stretching etc) and from when i actually did wushu

wushu regardless of the forms taught me how to put my legs places they dont normally go when your sparring and taught me how to put them their fast look at your average chang quan set for wushu, and to put intention into what i was doing. my teacher always said to imagine your vanquishing a thousand oponents because it made the performance look better but it did teach me some good visualisation skills which are useful when actually preparing for fighting.

that and the line drills were much more intense.

so yeah the above arts didnt really teach me to fight but they really influenced my martial arts.
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.