Thread: 2008 No Gi Mundials for the interested

2008 No Gi Mundials for the interested

Hi folks. Some of you will care, some of you won't, but I posted 4 new vids of me competing. These are from the four matches I had at the No Gi mundials about a week ago. Brown Belt, 187 lbs weight class, master's division and the absolute as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ9t5Kyegmo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsfWLszke5A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYDiebbj45w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce_tG1UxKvo

These are not the most exciting matches on the planet truthfully, at least in my opinion. No taps, but I didn't get scored on the whole day. So that was kinda cool. It may have seemed like I was in danger from leg locks rather frequently, but I never really felt that way. Anyway, enjoy!
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    nice rasslin!

so you took both divs? congrats!
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Thanks Oso. I did take both divisions. It was a long day, but I had a good time!
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

Very nice and congratulations!

I haven't watched many (any?) BJJ comps so these may be ignorant questions, but do most matches move in such a seemingly relaxed pace? Does anybody try to go for take downs?

BTW (not so) Little Rogue was impressed.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Rogue,

The pace was a little lackadaisical, I felt. "Styles make fights." I didn't feel compelled to push the pace too hard, because it was clear I was up in every match...why take the risk. I did have some takedowns in there, a couple of inside trips and such, but there was a lot of fast guard pulling.

It was very clear to my opponents that I wrestled, after a few seconds on the mat with me, and that I was very comfortable on my feet, so all of them pulled guard very quickly after they figured that out, and did not want to stand up anymore. I don't blame them. When I feel somebody is superior on their feet to me, because of the point structure, I pull guard too.

Normally, I push harder to pass, but the pace wasn't very quick, I felt secure in my top positions, and I was up points or advantages, so I just didn't see the need to use my conditioning as a weapon (which I did at the pan-ams).

All of my opponents were very slick, however...in large part, I didn't move so much because there were many times I felt in danger of losing positional dominance or getting swept, and my instructor gave me very strict orders to stay on top

BTW, tell little rogue to keep at it, and I will give tips on the margarida/knee cut across guard pass, and the violator guard break ;-)
    Last edited by Merryprankster; 08-16-2008 at 06:16 PM.

Oh great, more stuff for him to do to me.

He's been looking over some old VHS Gracie JJ tapes I had laying around and trying some of the moves out on me. Kind of fun.
    Last edited by rogue; 08-16-2008 at 06:43 PM.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Congrats bro!
    My coach took silver in the BB lightweight division.
    Cheers
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com