Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It's all about the distance

Quote Originally Posted by junmo View Post
    thanks for the answer UWC....

***SURE.

...so if i get this right...you're using line against line from a boxing position - to vie against his weapons on the same line, right?

***EXACTLY.

...and once you get control of this area...maybe even that littLE bit before you acelerate into zone 2?

***YES, AGAIN.

.....my problem is the reach thing...I'm at a disadvantage most times...so I rely on my footwork...

***THE PERFECTLY STRAIGHT HORIZONTAL boxing punches (stiff leads and rear crosses) thrown with shoulder movement and torque - and when combined with footwork and kicks (use combos like a kickboxer would) can go a long way toward alleviating a short reach - and get you to the close wing chun zone...

Can you see my point?
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 08-18-2008 at 10:24 AM.

great thread with good replies, this is the stuff that makes the forum worthwhile. You guys all have great ideas!
    Different guys, diff lineages, diff solutions but all good points. thanx for the read!

...and here I was thinking the australians had dibs on that one
    No way, this is very much a British tactic ... the best guys I've seen at this were a KF instructor and a bodybuilder/bouncer who used to do doors in Liverpool UK - both Poms.

There's quite a lot of good stuff on the RMAX site, and some of the products, perhaps mainly but not exclusively aimed at grapplers - some of it is a bit out there but so is a lot of stuff in the TCMA world.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

...anerlich...it's a traditional right of passage that you receive, or least try to receive one of these somewhere between your 15th to 20th birthday in the outer eastern suburbs of melbourne ...here in china...the headbutt is not unknown, but they prefer the 50 on 1 fight...more like ritual sacrifice....they all seem so peaceful ...

UWC, Kevin...thanks for the effort you put into explaning your views to me...much appreciated...

...come thursday...I will do a little experimenting on my mate at boxing ...lol
    earth & metal

No problem , WSL used them too he didn't do to bad with it

....tactics and aggressive attacks at your distance...attack constantly as your defense once your in...running helps to get the cardio up, capable of delivering a sustained assault. Dont hold your breath
    No lead leg stance, attack 1/2 the person with 100 % 2 hands 1 leg , which 1/2 is up to him to try and hit you with and show you...stay with his entry , strike with the nearest hand that is free, stay with him as he tries to regain space, attack with abandon % +

you can always 'duck' just come up with hands by your head ; )
    Last edited by k gledhill; 08-20-2008 at 06:30 AM.

Dont know if you've seen this, but over here you get the "swarm". I've seen it happen on not such a large scale as this, more 1 or 2 guys with 10 - 15 attacking them...then where's your distance game?

As a foreigner if you get in a fight on the street here, punch and run...and fast...TIC...this is china baby....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1X4FG...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-geUbjfAP0U - hair takedown at 38 seconds is brilliant
    earth & metal

in 'football' [soccer] matches we get that on the main streets every weekend I used to do security at a pub directly opposite the chelsea stadium.... one night we watched a police horse charge against a visiting team called millwall ...it was like a monty python sketch...couples drinking in the bar with all hell breaking loose outside the windows , cops on horseback going past the windows , guys running into the pub , we knew as locals asking us if they had been stabbed in the back as they ran away from the mobs ...fun ? not ...but its the norm, thats why you dont want to ever go down grappling . you get a group /mob just kicking you, because you have on the wrong 'colors'.

classification....utility

For classification purposes one can define ranges for techniques. In fighting there is only ONE real range... The range you need to be in to make your art work..whatever that art may be.

Love, peace & Chitlin' Grease,

~Cg~
    我听见,我忘记;我看见,我记住;我做,我了解。
    I hear, I forget; I see, I remember; I do, I understand.