Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Taiwan Ghost Month Doritos

More with the Lay's

Lay's Potato chips has effectively hijacked this thread from Doritos. This is now just a general chip thread.

REVIEW: Lay’s Chinese Szechuan Chicken Potato Chips
    August 1, 2016 Marvo 5 Rating, Chips, Lay's, Reviews

I’ve had a number of Lay’s potato chip flavors from China, like Sweet Barbecue Pork, Fresh Shrimp, Fun Wasabi Shrimp, Spicy Green Peppercorn Fish, and Numb & Spicy Hot Pot. They all had the same vibe to them. They were spicy, sweet, and unusual to the point where I’m not sure if I liked them.

I can say the same about Lay’s Chinese Szechuan Chicken Potato Chips.

I imagine there are some of you who aren’t familiar with Szechuan Chicken because it’s not a dish that’s ever been available at Panda Express (the chain did have a Szechuan fish dish). According to the internet, Szechuan cooking involves heavy use of garlic and Szechuan chili peppers.

To get the flavor and spice of the regional Chinese dish, Lay’s could’ve gone with some generic chili peppers mixed with other ingredients, but they went with the real deal — roasted Szechuan peppers. They also went with an ingredient called “Natural Szechuan Wok Type Flavor.” Yes! I’ve always wanted to know what wok tastes like!

The chips look darker than your standard Lay’s, and some areas are even darker, making them look like they’re slightly burnt. Maybe that’s from the soy sauce that’s listed in the ingredients, or maybe it’s the wok type flavor. They’re both dark. Every chip also has specks of parsley.

They have an unusual sweet soy aroma that’s will turn off unadventurous snackers. As for the chip’s flavor, it come in waves. First, there’s a strong dose of soy sauce and garlic. Then there’s a slight sweetness that’s followed by peppers. As I ate the chips, there were moments when its flavor reminded me of wasabi. There’s also an underlying greasy flavor that I can only assume is the “chicken.” Thanks to the peppers, the chips have some spiciness to them, but it tingles more than burns. But I think if you have an aversion to spicy foods you won’t like these in your mouth.

To be honest, Lay’s Chinese Szechuan Chicken Potato Chips are not a flavor I’d buy again. It’s not gross, but unlike most other potato chip flavors, I won’t mindlessly eat them. I’ll have a few and then say, “I’m good.” Out of all four Passport to Flavor varieties, this is my least favorite.

(Nutrition Facts – 1 oz – 150 calories, 90 calories from fat, 10 grams of fat, 1.5 grams of saturated fat, 0 grams of trans fat, 0 milligrams of cholesterol, 140 milligrams of sodium, 330 milligrams of potassium, 16 grams of carbohydrates, 1 gram of fiber, 1 gram of sugar, and 2 grams of protein.)

Purchased Price: $3.00
    Size: 7 3/4 oz bag
    Purchased at: Safeway
    Rating: 5 out of 10
    Pros: Edible. Adventurous taste buds.
    Cons: Least favorite of the Lay’s Passport to Flavor varieties. Flavor not good enough for me to mindlessly eat. Those who don’t like spicy food might not like them. What’s wok flavor?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

soy sauce wasabi and octopus dumpling sauce flavors

Doritos soy sauce wasabi and octopus dumpling sauce flavors come to Japan and Taiwan
    Meg Murphy 2 days ago

These flavors are only available in Taiwan and Okinawa for a limited time!

Starting April 18, two limited-time Doritos tortilla chip flavors will be available at Family Mart convenience stores throughout the island of Okinawa. The new chip flavors have already been on sale at Family Mart stores in Taiwan.

Since 2014, Family Mart Okinawa has jointly developed products with Family Mart Taiwan. This time, the convenience store chain in both locations is bringing wasabi soy sauce (wasabi shoyu) and octopus dumpling sauce (takoyaki so-su) flavors to their customers. In Okinawa, the 90-gram (3.17-ounce) bags are being sold for 213 yen (US$1.96) each.

Image: Okinawa Family Mart (edited by RocketNews24)

Doritos is combining their standard tortilla chip crunch with more traditional Japanese flavors, bringing us a salty-spicy combination of soy sauce with a hot punch of wasabi. The second flavor, takoyaki sauce, brings a flavor most known in the Kansai region of Japan – specifically Osaka – where takoyaki (often called octopus balls or octopus dumplings in English) originates from. The doughy balls, once cooked, are topped with mayonnaise, dried bonito fish flakes, seaweed flakes, and the savory takoyaki sauce, which has a salty, tangy flavor that’s sure to make a great taste combination with Doritos’ corn tortilla chips.

While these sadly aren’t available on the Japanese mainland, there are plenty of other tasty and strange flavors to choose from to satisfy any craving!

Source: Okinawa Family Mart via Ryukyu Shimpo
    Top image: Okinawa Family Mart (edited by RocketNews24)
    Asian Doritos rox!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Asia's unique snack chips

I love the Taiwan Ghost Month Doritos but there's been enough variations that I'm splitting this off into a separate thread, one that isn't so Taiwanese, ghostly or Doritosish - Asia's unique snack chips.

Durian potato chips are now a thing in China
    Lay's introduces a new flavor with the funky Southeast Asian fruit
    by Jethro Kang October 10, 2018 in Food

The trend of durian on things continues to permeate in China, with food brand Lay’s most recently joining the fray with their durian-flavored potato chips.

The snack food company introduced the limited edition item last month with the name “Little Durian Monster (小怪兽榴莲味),” characterized by a cartoon-like face printed over the spiky Southeast Asian delicacy.

Naturally, netizens have latched onto the unusual flavor like flies to an overripe fruit, but online feedback on Lay’s official Tmall store has been mixed.

“The smell of durian is very heavy, but there is no durian taste when it’s eaten,” said one reviewer.

“I usually eat durian,” wrote another, “but it’s not suitable for making potato chips. It’s too sweet and greasy. This new taste is disappointing and really unpalatable.”

Lay’s released salted egg-flavored potato chips at the same time, and reviews on that have been more positive, with many people calling it salty and satisfying.

The potato chip brand now forms part of the crowd of fast food producers that is using durian in their menu. Pizza Hut currently has durian pizzas on offer, while KFC used to sell durian egg tarts. McDonald’s has a durian ice cream in their Singapore, Malaysia, and Hong Kong outlets.

The new Lay’s flavors can be found on Tmall at ¥99 for two 125-gram bags of durian and salted egg yolk each, or at convenience stores around town.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Doritos Roulette

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips