Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Taiwan Ghost Month Doritos

American Doritos suck!

Asian Doritos rock!!! WTF can't I get these at my local 7-11?

Click link to see...
    Extreme Doritos
    Food Buzz The Doritos packaging in Asia makes the garish font and metallic bag that we're used to look subtle. This depicts an allegory of what these chips are about to do to your tastebuds.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Laughs at superstitious primitive minded people.

No wonder the world is a mess.

Kung Fu is good for you.

lol that bag is hillarious. most definately the funniest bag of chips ever created.

i challenge anyone to find a funnier bag of chips anywhere on this planet.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    yes. the gate of the hell is opened.

then the gate will close in a lunar month.

--

when I was a little kid, I always liked to swim in a river or lake.

but in ghost month, I never dipped in any water for fear of the ghost pulling my leg and drown me--

Interesting about the swimming. That`s a common superstition here in Japan too. They say it`s because there are more rip tides during that part of the year. (Of course Grandma knows it`s REALLY because all the people who drown at sea are lonely because thier families can`t visit thier tombs during ghost month. So they want to pull people down to party with them.)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolinlueb View Post
    isnt it just called the underworld and not hell? is it something lost in translation?

cause obviously there version of hell is different from a christian one. need money, cars, and food in hell?
    The only name I know for it is Fengdu. It has various layers like Dante's vision of Hell.

I will mourn this passing

Nacho Cheese Doritos = fav comfort snack.

Doritos inventor Arch West dies, will be buried with chips
    September 26, 2011 | 3:27 pm

When Arch West, the man credited with inventing Doritos, is buried on Oct. 1, he will be joined by a sprinkling of the bright orange chips that have become a cheesy, tangy, American institution.

His daughter, Jana Hacker of Allen, Texas, told the Dallas Morning News that the family plans on "tossing Doritos chips in before they put the dirt over the urn."

West, who was 97 when he died of natural causes last week, was a former Frito-Lay executive. He reportedly came up with the idea of Doritos when he was on vacation with his family in Mexico and came upon a snack shack selling fried tortilla chips.

The Dallas Morning News reports that Frito-Lay officials were not too impressed with the idea, but they rolled out the chips after consumer testing proved positive. Doritos were first introduced in Southern California in 1964, according to a Frito-Lay spokesperson; Doritos Toasted Corn launched nationally in 1967.

By the 1970s, Doritos was one of the best-selling chips in the Frito-Lay arsenal, but the chips that will accompany West to his grave are quite different from those the company released more than 40 years ago.

Doritos were given a big overhaul in 1995, when Frito-Lay made them 20% larger and 15% thinner. Frito-Lay also got rid of the sharp angles on the chip, giving it rounded corners.

The company has continued to tinker with the chips. There have been more than three dozen flavors of Doritos since the product's national launch. Also, the company eliminated trans fats from the chips several years ago.

Still, the chips are hardly healthy -- a small bag has 260 calories, 120 of them from fat, and 360 milligrams of sodium.

But then, none of that can hurt West.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

hmm, i wonder who'll inherit his 'cool ranch'. sorry........

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    hades? greek mythology...mixed in with some dope smoking ghosts that eat doritos, man they know how to party in taiwan.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

That's pretty funny about the Doritos-loving ghosts.

I will say that when I lived in Taiwan, I had more weird experiences than anywhere else I've ever been. I don't know if it's because it's a fairly small but very crowded island-nation with a lot of history, but on two of the occurrences, there were other people with me who experienced the same thing simultaneously. So they weren't my imagination or mistaken perception.

Oddly enough, one of the most dramatic incidents I experienced occurred on the very last day of Ghost Month.

Anias Nin has a fresh quote I always loved. "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are"

I find that applies to my life on a daily basis. Constantly I hear claims of this and that and usually I find massive bias is involved. If one believes, or is very open to the possibility, of the existance of "ghosts", then they are far more likely to attribute the unknown to some paranormal explanation. Whereas a true skeptic would automatically assume there is some unseen but very logical explanation. Neither really have any basis for any belief whatsoever, they simply have their own pre-concieved notions of how things are.

In this respect I'm an Agnostic in the truest sense. I simply don't know, haven;t met or heard of anyone who reallyt does, and untill then the question is wide open, in my opinion. I'm not willing to go one way or the other. I've witnessed and experienced some very incredible situations, but I am not willing to venture outside of reason for some explanation that will fit neat and tidy with my current view of the world. I feel that to do that would be the height of ignorance. And until i see any real evidence, thats where I'm at. I'm always open to hear evidence, but so far I haven't heard a thing I can't poke holes through.

Life after death is a very comforting thought, so I understand why some of the morem fragile minds would drift in that direction, but I've always believed that any faith based belief is a sign of weakness. A crutch to keep one from having to deal with the possibility that a dirt nap is the end of you. Again, I'm not taking either side, I'm open to both and I find fault in any theory that isn't.

Slightly OT...

Not quite Doritos, but relevant IMO.

Pepsi and Chicken Flavor Potato Chips Released in China
    Dec 18, 2012 by Master Blaster

Living in Japan, it’s easy to miss the range of potato chip flavors available in one’s home country. Out here, the only flavors you can expect to get are salt, and consume (basically BBQ) with the occasional green onion flavor.

However, to make up for it, the chip companies occasionally come out with unique super flavors that rock our worlds for a month and disappear; flavours like Truffles or Sugar Butter.

Never shy of a challenge, though, since last August China has had a new hit on its hands with a new local flavor that can’t help but surprise: Pepsi & Chicken!

Much like this year’s special Salty Watermelon Pepsi in Japan, China’s blend of cola and chicken flavors has opened this writer up to a wide world of cuisine he never knew before.

According to PepsiCo China’s Chief Marketing Officer Richard Lee, chicken boiled in cola is a very popular dish in China, so they were confident to bring this flavor into the market.

After a quick Internet search, sure enough there were hundreds of thousands of recipes from around the globe for cola boiled, cola fried, or cola marinated chicken. After getting over the initial weirdness and health concerns, it does make sense for chicken to be complimented by the sweet yet heavy taste of cola.

If you’re wondering “why Pepsi and not Coke”, the chips are Lay’s brand made by Frito-Lay which is a subsidiary of PepsiCo. Very clever, we’re sure you’d agree!

The makers describe the taste as the perfect blend of sweet cola and spicy pepper, which leaves a delightful aftertaste. Public reaction on social networks in China has been mixed, however.

Perhaps China and Japan could set up some sort of cultural chips exchange. We could trade some Wasabi Doritos for Pepsi and Chicken Lay’s. It could be a healing experience for two countries that have had a rocky 2012…

In the meantime, I think I have my Christmas dinner sorted now. A big thanks Frito-Lay Inc.: a wholly owned subsidiary of PepsiCo Incorporated!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Again, slightly OT

Imma hijack dishere thread for all my weird chip news.

Sriracha potato chips? Lay's offers three flavors for fan vote

By Ricardo Lopez
    February 8, 2013, 11:42 a.m.

Three new Lay's potato chip flavors will hit grocery stores next week.

Only one will prevail and be added as a new chip flavor to Lay's product line.

Frito-Lay launched a promotional campaign titled "Do Us a Flavor," in which consumers nominated various flavors.

A panel of food experts waded through 3.8 million submissions and culled a list of 20, that's now been winnowed down to 3: Sriracha, Chicken & Waffles and Garlic Cheesy Bread.

The new flavors are expected to be in stores Tuesday, and fans will be able to vote for their favorite one through Twitter, text message and Lay's Facebook page.

The person who submitted the winning flavor will win $1 million or 1% of the chip's 2013 sales, whichever is more, the company said.

The interactive contest follows a similar move by Hasbro Inc. to replace certain Monopoly game pieces after fans voted. A cat token will now replace the game board's iron statuette.
    Tough call. I'm torn between Sriracha and Garlic Cheesy Bread. I don't understand Chicken & Waffles - is that a southern comfort food or something?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More Lays

****, Asia gets all the awesome flavors...

Freaky Frankenfoods: Lay's Spicy Green Peppercorn Fish Flavor

Shanghai is filled with fusion foods geared towards the local palate with some proving appetizing, while others are pants-crappingly terrifying. Throughout this Halloween season, we're trying the most hyped (okay, hyped by laowai) Frankenfoods to see if they taste as scary as people claim.

Unlike many Lay's flavors, spicy green peppercorn fish isn't really terrifying in and of itself - on the contrary, it's something I really enjoy in its true form. But as Lay's has proved, chip interpretations of such complex dishes can be disastrous. And condensing something as multilayered as fish with green peppercorns into a chip seemed akin to successfully playing Beethoven's 9th on the washboard.

Fortunately, they successfully play Beethoven's 9th on the washboard. You open the bag and you're met with a hot, nutty blast of heat and spice that makes you tear up as if you were holding your face over a fish hotpot. When you crunch a chip, you immediately feel the token peppercorn tingle on your lips, which evokes pressing a vibrating cellphone against them. And the spiciness is no less atomic than you'd expect.

The only missing component seemed to be the fish, which tasted so faint it could've been in my head. However, the strong backup chorus of chilies and peppercorns makes it easy to imagine. Lay's Spicy Green Peppercorn Fish Flavor is the closest thing to the real thing since the Numb and Spicy Hotpot Flavor - so close that if you don't like it, you might not enjoy a lot of Sichuan dishes.

Though are we the only ones who think it a bit ominous that Lay's seems to tackle more complex flavors every year, as if they're trying to get a monopoly on all the world's food. It starts with green peppercorn and fish chips, moves up to chips flavored like whole Thanksgiving dinners, then twenty-course French wine-pairing menus. Finally, in some dystopian future, before you get into your cryogenic sleep pod, you pop a Lay's chip and don't need any food for a whole month.

You can find Lay's Spicy Peppercorn Fish Flavor at Tesco and Carrefour for 5-7RMB.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

You know, grilled cheese sandwiches are like bread nachos, I'm just saying.

Attachment 7872

Slightly OT

It's that time of the year again.

You might not want to board this bus after seeing how the driver looks like
    Posted on 01 August 2014 | 2,781 views | 3 comments

PHOTO: Video screengrab

A Taiwanese bus company has decided to replace their usual driver with a Chinese zombie to lighten the mood during the Hungry Ghost Festival.

According to a news report, the zombie bus is a collaboration with a food company and is meant to be a mobile "haunted house".

Passengers who board on the bus will be greeted by a driver dressed in the traditional "Jiang Shi" (zombie) costume.

Complete with the imperial garbs and a white-painted face with the red circled cheeks, the zombie driver is definitely a sight to get used to.

A male passenger who boarded the bus almost fell backwards when he saw the driver.

The driver is so into his character that he even uses a low, creepy voice to make announcements.

When interviewed by the press, he said it took around two hours to get the whole look.

Calling them zombie cos-players, the news reporter said zombie brothers, both young and old, will board the bus and interact with the passengers.

A representative of the food company said the zombie bus is to give "brothers" a chance to ride the bus. Brothers refer to the deceased friends and family.

During the Hungry Ghost Festival, spirits from the other world are believed to be roaming around the living world.

He said that giving them a chance to ride on the bus, will make it easier for them to get around.

When interviewed, some passengers commented that this gimmick is refreshing and creepy.

I'd only board that bus if I had some Ghost Month Doritos to share.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips