Quote Originally Posted by yutyeesam View Post
Not sure what forum to post this on...MMA? Media?

http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/index?id=4842426

At the recent premiere for "The Spy Who Lives Next Door," ESPN.com caught up with actor and martial arts star Jackie Chan to ask him his opinion of MMA.

Apparently, he's not too fond of it.

"I don't like to see 'ultimate fighting,'" Chan said. "As a martial artist, I find it too violent putting them in a cage. At the end, it's not fighting anymore. That's not the martial arts. Martial arts is about respect.

"When somebody is knocked down, stop. I really respect Sugar Ray Leonard. Come on, [when a guy is down,] stop. Don't fight. That's not the spirit. When you're down, I'll grab you up. 'Are you OK? Should we continue?' That's the martial arts spirit. That's what I want."
He's entitled to his opinion. I don't agree with it because it is flawed from my perspective, but mma is certainly not all that martial arts is. So, from the perspective of a guy that came out of beijing opera and lived the chinese wushu life, I can understand his perspective and am unoffended by it although I do not wholly agree with it.

mma is probably just beyond the price he himself is willing to pay in a conflict. Too much like a street fight, too much animism and raw violence.