Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Spy Next Door

Quote Originally Posted by yutyeesam View Post
    Not sure what forum to post this on...MMA? Media?

http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/index?id=4842426

At the recent premiere for "The Spy Who Lives Next Door," ESPN.com caught up with actor and martial arts star Jackie Chan to ask him his opinion of MMA.

Apparently, he's not too fond of it.

"I don't like to see 'ultimate fighting,'" Chan said. "As a martial artist, I find it too violent putting them in a cage. At the end, it's not fighting anymore. That's not the martial arts. Martial arts is about respect.

"When somebody is knocked down, stop. I really respect Sugar Ray Leonard. Come on, [when a guy is down,] stop. Don't fight. That's not the spirit. When you're down, I'll grab you up. 'Are you OK? Should we continue?' That's the martial arts spirit. That's what I want."
    He's entitled to his opinion. I don't agree with it because it is flawed from my perspective, but mma is certainly not all that martial arts is. So, from the perspective of a guy that came out of beijing opera and lived the chinese wushu life, I can understand his perspective and am unoffended by it although I do not wholly agree with it.

mma is probably just beyond the price he himself is willing to pay in a conflict. Too much like a street fight, too much animism and raw violence.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    sorry, and we care what Jackie thinks about MMA because?

I want to world to know, I don't particularly like cooked fish, I LOVE sushi, but cooked fish? Eh... too fishy usually, just in case you were wondering, and since I am sort of a famous sifu, you should be concerned that I have negative feelings about fish!

(or not)
    Sounds kinda fishy to me...

Always nice to see Jackie in the morning paper

He must be so tired of that stunt misfire question....
    Jackie Chan: Tough part is English, not stunts
    Michael Ordoņa, Special to The Chronicle
    Friday, January 22, 2010

Jackie Chan has starred in more than 100 movies, had a hand in about 100 others, and now takes on playing opposite kids in the family comedy "The Spy Next Door." He's a secret agent trying to settle down with his American girlfriend if her children - and the bad guys - will allow it. At 55, the often-injured Chan continues his breakneck pace: He has made two movies since wrapping this one and is gearing up to direct the long-awaited third part of his "Armour of God" series. The international action icon, who has performed in Cantonese, Mandarin, Japanese, Taiwanese and English, paused to chat at a swank Los Angeles hotel.

Q: What, if anything, was a challenge to you in "Spy Next Door"?

A: Honestly, every movie I do in America, the only challenge for me is English. I've done everything already, for me it's pretty easy. Only the English.

Q: What are your most memorable stunt misfires?

A: Too many. "Rumble in the Bronx," broken ankle. "Armour of God," fractured skull. I'll never forget "Project A." I backflip onto a huge sofa from the stairs - but when I grab the bad guy, then I see my finger (indicates it pointing in the wrong direction). I couldn't stop because my action was different from a lot of people's - (with most actors) they use a double, flip flip flip, then tight shot. My shot, after the flip, I get up, look at the camera - that's me. "Drunken Master" - my eye (indicates smashing his face on a table). Too many injuries. Too many.

Q: What filmmakers excite you today?

A: First, James Cameron. And Ridley Scott. He always makes something different. He can make "Gladiator," then suddenly "Black Hawk Down." Then boom, some other thing. Of course Spielberg, George Lucas. These directors I really like.

Q: Have you seen "Avatar"?

A: Not yet. But I visited the set. James Cameron invited me. It's amazing. I tell him, "Cameron, I've been making films for 47 years. But when I come to your set, I'm like a kindergarten kid." All the equipment I'd never seen before - they have 360 cameras on the roof. You give me 360 cameras, I don't know how to shoot. On the set, there's like, 200 people sitting there with their computers. What the hell is that? Amazing, just amazing.

So if I cannot do these kinds of things, I'd rather do my traditional Jackie Chan things. Two cameras, one punch, one punch, without all the special effects. When people see Jackie Chan, they know what I'm doing. They see James Cameron, they expect something new. So I always admire him. His picture's in front of my wall.

Q: Are you aware of all the pop culture references to you? Characters in video games, cartoons, songs like "Jackie Chan Is a Punk Rocker"?

A: (Laughs) I don't mind. I thank all the rappers - I know they're many, but I can't find them. I really want to find them to edit the whole thing together. The other day, I saw a movie, they open a coffin - (screams) "Aah! That's Jackie Chan!" It's a funny movie.
    Kung Fu legend Jackie Chan joins Twitter
    By Sophie Eager Jan 22, 2010, 14:05 GMT

Kung Fu legend Jackie Chan is the latest celeb to join social networking site Twitter.

The 55-year-old actor and martial arts expert joined the site on January 16 and his first message was: 'What is twitter? Brett Rattner and Taraji has it. I guess I should have one too.

'But I don't know how to use it. As long as it's not bad.'

Since joining, the star of movies such as Enter the Dragon has posted many pictures for his fans, including one of him with his pet dogs and cats.

He has also showed off his pressure point socks and images of what he has been eating.
    Note that there's only one week left for our SPY NEXT DOOR subscription premium promotion.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

New sweepstakes

With the new Karate Kid about to hit theaters around the world, we're in a deep Jackie Chan zone. We've already given away the original Karate Kid on DVD, and we've got even more to come. But for now, enter to win THE SPY NEXT DOOR on DVD. Contest ends 6:00 p.m. PST on 06/10/2010. Good luck everyone!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

just saw the movie on a dvd.

it is a family film. baby sitting is more of a challenge than anything else.

George lopez. took the wrong route out.

oil eating microbes are a good thing to deal with oil leak such as in the gulf of mexico right now.

however, to eat other countries oils and deprive them of energy from oil--

to be good or evil is only a thought or an idea away

--

yes, yes, the good will prevail--

some good fighting or actions are all in the end

fight with bikes, gadgets from CIA, the lighter, the belt---

--

my point is that not all russians are bad guys,

knowing what to dress to blend in is another thing, some would take their fashion statements/expressions way too serious

--

the british are coming

the russians are coming

--

it is just a family comedy

enjoy it with your family

The Spy Next Door DVD winners announced

See our The Spy Next Door DVD winner thread.

I must confess, SPJ, that I never put together the oil-eating microbes schtick and the BP oil spill. Good on you.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips