Thread: For Rene or other YKS guys

For Rene or other YKS guys

Do any of you know why Yuen Kay San is sometimes listed as a student of Chan Wah Shun and/or Ng Chun So? And also his brother Yuen Chai Wan

I have heard this before but it was Lo Man Kam’s website that reminded me of it – did he learn with them for a time?

Also Yuen Chai Wan is often listed on Vietnamese Ving Xhuan lineages as being a student of Leung Tan/Jan – was he?

And finally, I think I am right in saying that there are no YKS sifu’s in the UK, is that the case?

kind regards

David

I'm not a YKS guy. But if I am remembering correctly, at least one of those versions of his lineage connections originated with Leung Ting. So you have to be careful and take it with a grain of salt. Leung Ting has always been about promoting Leung Ting. YKS is technically Yip Man's senior lineage-wise, and Leung Ting wouldn't be likely to admit to that....at least not many years ago when he wrote "Roots and Branches of Wing Chun." There are a lot of inaccuracies and self-promotions in that book.

Quote Originally Posted by LSWCTN1 View Post
    Do any of you know why Yuen Kay San is sometimes listed as a student of Chan Wah Shun and/or Ng Chun So? And also his brother Yuen Chai Wan

I have heard this before but it was Lo Man Kam’s website that reminded me of it – did he learn with them for a time?

Also Yuen Chai Wan is often listed on Vietnamese Ving Xhuan lineages as being a student of Leung Tan/Jan – was he?

And finally, I think I am right in saying that there are no YKS sifu’s in the UK, is that the case?

kind regards

David

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    YKS is technically Yip Man's senior lineage-wise
    Lineage-wise they are unrelated unless you go back to the Red Boat opera. But in terms of generations in the kung-fu context then yes you are right.

Wong Wah Bo/Leung Yee Tai -> Leung Jan -> Chan Wah Sun -> Yip Man
    Dai Faa Min Kam -> Fok Bo Chuen/Fung Siu Ching -> Yuen Kay San

http://www.wingchunpedia.org/pmwiki/...KayShanLineage

in fact YKS is really different of yip man style but Wing chun is wing chun
    http://video.yahoo.com/watch/469685/2566235

Steeve

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    Lineage-wise they are unrelated unless you go back to the Red Boat opera. But in terms of generations in the kung-fu context then yes you are right.
    Ah! Absolutely right! I misspoke/mistyped. Thanks for the correction. No direct lineage connection, but YKS is senior generation-wise as you point out. It is in this respect that Fung Chun of the Ku Lo Pin Sun system is considered the most "senior" Wing Chun master living today. He is 3rd generation from Leung Jan.

History is good but training is better

Steeve

Quote Originally Posted by Steeeve View Post

Steeve

Said the guy continuing to spend time posting here.
    Marty
    "The Evil Chu's"
    Watchful Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Steeeve View Post

Steeve
    i agree totaly, but i just like to know the history of the art too, how we got to where we are (or would like to go!)

Thats really intelligent to know from where or from what ....

but so much story ...just keep training ....different method of training ...different story ....wing chun is wing chun .......

oh yes so much variation like a opening in the chess playing ...but same core
    kept the core.........the variation are ur self expression of a style

steeeve