Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Austin Martial Arts Festival 2008

Austin Martial Arts Festival 2008

The AMAF is set for 10/11/08, anyone going to compete?

Would love to go, but alas, the lack of funds and cost of travel is going to make me skip this one.

You guys have fun. Hope to see you guys and meet ya at next years Taiji Legacy though.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

Quote Originally Posted by sha0lin1 View Post
    The AMAF is set for 10/11/08, anyone going to compete?
    Our school will be there. I will try my hand at no-gi grappling as well as all the other kung fu forms. Aint nothing like a kung fu guy who can grapple.....or at least try!

They advertise on KungFuMagazine.com...

...so here's the link.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Are they going to have San Shou? The link to the rules PDF is broken.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by masherdong View Post
    I will try my hand at no-gi grappling as well as all the other kung fu forms. Aint nothing like a kung fu guy who can grapple.....or at least try!
    Last years event had a very small turnout for the grappling competitions.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

I'll be there.

The last two years they did have san shou. So my assumption will be yes.
    I think they charge per event so I'll probably do just the San Shou. Hopefully they will bust out with some better mats this year. I've made the suggestion that they should do so. I also suggested a flat door free for competition.

While the year before had a good turnout, last years competetion was light across the board. I assume in part because the AAU was held the same month or near to. I think labor day weekend was around that time too.

Hopefully this year will see a better turn out.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

I need to win the lotto or get a better job.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

Quote Originally Posted by SanHeChuan View Post
    I'll be there.

The last two years they did have san shou. So my assumption will be yes.
    I think they charge per event so I'll probably do just the San Shou. Hopefully they will bust out with some better mats this year. I've made the suggestion that they should do so. I also suggested a flat door free for competition.

While the year before had a good turnout, last years competetion was light across the board. I assume in part because the AAU was held the same month or near to. I think labor day weekend was around that time too.

Hopefully this year will see a better turn out.

Last year he did zero advertising or marketing. This year I believe he filed as a nonprofit. Hopefully there will be more competitors in the CMA this year. Seemed like grappling, TKD, and Karate drew a lot, San Shou a few. The registration form says $40.00 for two events, I am not sure if San Shou was or is any different. A friend told me at the AAU that San Shou now falls under the authority of the boxing commission which means that events/competitors/judges need to be sanctioned. Anyone heard anything on this?

Quote Originally Posted by sha0lin1 View Post
    A friend told me at the AAU that San Shou now falls under the authority of the boxing commission which means that events/competitors/judges need to be sanctioned. Anyone heard anything on this?
    This is my understanding, which is why I asked if they were actually having San Shou. I suspect they won't.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Sanshou in Texas is really up in the air.

For the AAU, the national organization disallows things that have potential head trauma. They are even moving away from boxing. So, for the AAU to do Sanshou and still be in good graces with the national governing body, the rules would have to be pretty restrictive.

Perhaps a partnering with a Sanshou body is in the future here.

Then, the new laws in Texas are fairly vague. Read them one way and you come away with "It's all OK" Read them another and it states that elimination formats are not allowed. This is the norm - fighter 1 fights 2, 3 fights 4, 5 fights 6, 7 fights 8, then the winners are paired..and so on. This fits the laws description of the disallowed elimination format....

What they want is for there to be one set of fights - fighters do one fight...then you have a later event with the next round.... maximum recovery time is the goal, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by GLW View Post
    Sanshou in Texas is really up in the air.

Taiji Legacy doesn't seem to have a problem with it. They had it last year, and unless things have changed since my last update, they going to have it again this year. I just wish they have an old fogey division.

Quote Originally Posted by xcakid View Post
    Taiji Legacy doesn't seem to have a problem with it. They had it last year, and unless things have changed since my last update, they going to have it again this year. I just wish they have an old fogey division.
    Uh, Taiji Legacy cancelled in 2008, and I bet when they re-emerge in 2009 there will be changes to the San Shou format.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Uh, Taiji Legacy cancelled in 2008, and I bet when they re-emerge in 2009 there will be changes to the San Shou format.
    I meant next year. I'm already counting this year over.

The laws changed tail end of last year or first part of this year. So, there has not been a Taiji Legacy that has had to deal with it. I doubt that it is even on Jimmy Wong's radar yet.

His competition does NOT have to deal with the AAU national organization rules....but he will have to deal with the Texas legal issues.

Granted, many people just ignore the issue. For example, the World Games in 1995 in Baltimore had Sanshou. Maryland has a fairly strong Boxing Commission. In reality, with head contact allowed, all fighters were supposed to have been licensed by the commission for Maryland. The promoter did a change in wording of the rules to make it sound like the head contact was not allowed (wink wink, nudge nudge) and I know that the guy who got the bronze medal left Baltimore with a concussion.

So...how the laws play out remains to be seen. Jimmy Wong's event may be the first one to have to navigate that mine field.