Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Austin Martial Arts Festival 2008

Well, really, most people when they think Kung Fu are not thinking of full contact fightting, sad but true, so you can get away with it for a while at least until the commissions get tipped off....

The NACMAF and later USA WKF san shou events were technically illegal...

If the issue is number of rounds in a day, it CAN be addressed, but most promoters will simply just not do it
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    This is my understanding, which is why I asked if they were actually having San Shou. I suspect they won't.

The flyer says they are under contact competitions.

Is Shuaijiao going to happen at this event?
    Editor and Publisher
    ShuaijiaoNation.com

Yes, I believe so.

More info on the San Shou

There is going to be San Shou there. Some guys from one of the gyms I train at are competing. All striking is allowed, except for knees. The fighters will be wearing 14oz gloves.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

I found out about 2 weeks ago from Shifu Hwang that there is no no-gi grappling this year like they had previously.

Well if there is going to be someone there to fight san da I'll be there.

I've been slacking the last couple of weeks but

I guess I better start getting ready
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
    There is going to be San Shou there. Some guys from one of the gyms I train at are competing. All striking is allowed, except for knees. The fighters will be wearing 14oz gloves.
    Elbows? In amateur?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Elbows? In amateur?
    Not sure on elbows. I know in sparring last night for it we were not using elbows. Sorry about that.

You have to pay to enter the tournament. No one is getting paid, so that the TDLR is not involved. So I guess it would be considered more of a smoker.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by SanHeChuan View Post
    Well if there is going to be someone there to fight san da I'll be there.
    There should be at least 3 from South Austin Gym there for the San Shou.

Not sure how many are gonna do the gi and no-gi grappling/BJJ.

2008 AMAF San Shou Rules

NOTE: This is an amateur San Shou competition open to adults only (18 years and older).

General
    Clothing: Participants must wear fight-appropriate shorts (boxing shorts, kick-boxing shorts, BJJ shorts, etc.) or kung-fu pants (if long pants are worn, shin protection must be on outside of pants). Participants must also wear proper protection common to San Shou competition, which includes the following:
     Head gear
     Gloves (16 oz for weight classes 190 lbs and up, 14 oz for all others)
     Chin guards
     Groin protection
     Chest protection
     Instep protection

Weight Divisions: Final weight divisions may be determined on the day of the competition, but will adhere as closely as possible to the following:
     120 lbs - 129 lbs
     130 lbs -139 lbs
     140 lbs -149 lbs
     150 lbs -159 lbs
     160 lbs -169 lbs
     170 lbs -179 lbs
     180 lbs -189 lbs
     190 lbs - 200 lbs
     201 lbs - 225 lbs
     226+ lbs
    Weigh-ins: Weigh-ins will start two or more hours prior to the matches. These will be announced at the day of the event if they have not been announced publicly beforehand. A short physical examination will take place to determine proper hygiene (length of finger and toe-nails, cleanliness, etc.) and general good health.

Bouts: The duration of the contest will be three rounds of two minutes each, with a one minute rest period between rounds. In case of a tie score after the completion of the 3rd round, a 4th round of two minutes will be conducted as the sudden death overtime round, after a one-minute rest period following the 3rd round. Your name will be called for the match three separate times, with a wait of one minute between each calling. Unless the head judge makes an alternate decision to postpone further, failure to answer or being unprepared to compete at last call will result in your forfeit.

Scoring
    Legal Techniques
     Kicks and punches that are not directed at the spine, groin, knee or throat, sweeps and throws are legal.
     Take-downs that the Official feels may result in injury, may be stopped. If this occurs, points will be awarded as though the technique had not been stopped.
    Illegal Techniques
     A technique (especially throws) that could result in a neck or spine injury is illegal (i.e. throwing opponent so that opponent’s head hits first). It is illegal to left your opponent above your shoulders.
     Continuing to attack after the referee stops the match is illegal.
     Strikes to the groin are illegal.
    ALL knee and elbow strikes are illegal.

Holding
    Time Limit for Athlete holding is 3-seconds for non-activity.

The Center or Chief Official may award 3 points for a technique sending your opponent to the floor.
     Kick to the trunk or the head - 2pts
     Takedown, attacker ends on feet - 2pts
     Punch to the trunk or the head - 1pt
     Kick to the leg - 1pt
     Takedown, attacker ends on mat - 1pt
    Match score shall be the sum of points of the three rounds.

Loss of Round
    Two standing 8-counts in a round results in loss of the round.
    Being pushed out of competition area three times in a round results in loss of the round

Loss of Match
    Three 8-counts in a match results in loss of the match.
    If a competitor is clearly over-matched, the Center or Chief Official may end the match and declare an Absolute Victory

Penalties
    Three warnings in a round will result in loss of the round.
    Six cautions in a round will also result in the loss of the round.
    If a competitor commits an unintentional foul resulting in the opponent becoming unable to continue the match, the match will be declared No-Contest and the fouling competitor will be allowed to continue in the competition.
    Last edited by SanHeChuan; 10-10-2008 at 11:19 AM.
    - 三和拳

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

ive had no time to train. i competed last year on a whim as well, but i dont want to go up against south austin gyms people without being in shape. i may stop by but i dont know if i want to compete this year

Bah win or lose who cares just play the game
    - 三和拳

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Ok, my opinion on this tournament was "what are they doing?" All of the adult forms divisions were all jacked up. Shaolin1 was in charge of all of the kung fu forms. From what I saw, he had everyone divided out in their perspective style, experience level, gender, and age. Then, Sensei Gary Lee who is one of the best kenpo karate instructors out there called everyone who is doing "kung fu kata" to come to the front. Sensei Lee used the color belt scheme and anyone who was 16 yrs old and up was considered an adult. Males and females competed against each other, and old guys like me competed with the young guns. The kids were divided by age group and that was it. One of our students went up against some jr black belts and she is only a beginner. She still got a bronze medal but come on. Then, weapons were all put together into one category. Staff, broadsword, double d's, 9 ring broadsword, were all lumped into one category. My wife lost the gold to someone who was doing broadsword when she was doing staff.

Then, I find out that there is no continuous sparring. So, all of the kung fu people who were doing continuous sparring were combined with karate point sparring. Man, what gives? Oh, well.

I thought this was supposed to be a kung fu tournament? They ran it like a karate tournament. If I wanted to compete in a karate tournament I would of gone to an AOK tournament. Anyways, we all still had fun and hopefully next year they can run the forms division like it is supposed to be.

Shaolin1, I thought you were doing a good job on the forms breakdown and they should of let you to continue to run it.

SHAOLIN1 FOR KUNG FU CHAIRMAN OF AUSTIN MARTIAL ARTS FESTIVAL!
    Last edited by masherdong; 10-12-2008 at 06:12 AM. Reason: v

Thanks for the Kudos Masher but no way in hell would I want to be a chairman. Ya know I spent a lot of time organizing that list of competitors and trying to be fair with divisions and such. They gave me that list about 30 minutes prior to the competition and it just had everyones name, age, and experience level. At least they did have it broken down into categories of styles and weapons until Sensei Lee changed it all. I was still working on it when Sensei Lee called everyone up there so it kind of made me mad when he did what he did especially since he undid everything I had done.

For that tournament disorganization is nothing new. I will make some suggestions to the organizers for next years competition. Hopefully, it will run a little smoother. In the end though I think everyone had a good time. I have supported this tournament for the last three years now because I would like to see it blossom into something more. Austin really does not have a tournament for the CMA and I really like the blending of styles that takes place at this tournament. But one lesson that needs to be learned is that if people walk away from it saying WTF? they will not come back to the next one you have. I would send them my suggestions right now but I am literally walking out the door to go to Houston to train.

I did enjoy meeting you and your wife and San He Chuan as well even though he was got KO'd