Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Off Topic: WTF? Is it just a culture thing?

Off Topic: WTF? Is it just a culture thing?

When I got married and moved to Japan 3 1/2 years ago I just thought my wife and daughters bought huge amounts of tissue and toilet paper. Then I began doing alot of the shopping and noticed everyone at the stores walking out with 10 boxes of tissues at a time (a 5 box pack in each hand), or a dozen or more rolls of toilet paper. (I`ve never seen anything smaller than an 8-pack here.)
    So I assumed it was a Japanese thing.
    Then last year I replaced a Vietnamese guy on my current work assignment and took over the furnished apartment he`d been using. I`ve been here a year and a half and never bought any toilet paper....and I still have two unopened 8-packs in the cupboard!And he was single for crying out loud.
    What is it with all this hording of paper products??!! Does it just happen here, or are Chinese and Koreans the same way? I`m really curious about this.

地震対策 (Jishin taisaku = earthquake measures)? You don't want to get caught with your pants down!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

here in china iv notice alot people carry tissue paper with them all the time. and when you have finished a meal they give tissue to everyone at the meal. i asked my girlfriend why they do this and she said its just good manners. iv even seen ppl give tissue when they first meet each other??? chinese people also like to keep there hands clean. they try not to touch hand rails or anything that other ppl might have touched.
    its not the destination that is important it is the journey getting there

yeah, also in china you wont ever find a toilet with paper. It just dont happen, so to stay safe, carry paper with you everywhere yo go.

I do, I always take my back pack with everywhere I go, and there is always a roll or two of toilet paper. In addition, I carry two packs of tissue paper ( the small packs) with me in my moon bag (fanny pack whatever you call it). Im prepared.

The only thing now is to over come my fear for asian toilets! (we need a puke emoticon)
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )

And buying bulk is simply more economical than buying small quantities more regularly. So buy the biggest packs of tissue possible and you spend less in the long run.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

If you have been using the stooping toilet, then you will see why it is important.
    If using the western toilet then you may be spoiled, Or you need to go out more.

Yeah whatever. I prefer western toilets. No matter how hard you want to try to convince me
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )

every country has its own culture.just face it and receive it.hehe
    queer as folk.

The first time I came here almost 20 years ago, public toilets almost never provided paper. There was always a vending machine outside that sold the little packets of pocket tissues. You don`t see that much anymore.
    You still see people in front of the train station or department store handing out free tissues with advertizements on them though.
    I always have a couple packs in my bag too. Old habits die hard I guess.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    what's the little hose on the side of the Chinese toilet for? (ewww)

It is also not uncommon to go to a restaurant, and they provide you with a bowl and boiled water, or tea. This is so everyone at the table can wash their plates, cups and chopsticks.
    I get this. But what about all the dishes that the food is served in?
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

I didn't notice it in Okinawa so much - my brother-in-law only had a few rolls in his apartment; same for my in-laws' place.

But then, if there was a hole-in-the-ground toilet I usually just walked the other direction & decided to wait till I got back to civilization; I never bothered to see if tp was provided.

What disturbs me more about toilets in Japan is that even the western ones have this strange, sour, rotten-tuna, kinda smell. I think it's a plumbing/sewage issue.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Yeah whatever. I prefer western toilets. No matter how hard you want to try to convince me
    I hear that brother!

Just say no to squat toilets!

And make sure to use the washroom before you go anywhere.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

The squat ain't too bad once you get used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    what's the little hose on the side of the Chinese toilet for? (ewww)
    duh, it's for rinsing the ha gow out of your teeth, dumb-asz...

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    ohhhh, I get it. It's like a water-pik.

I'll stick to those little flossers. Minty too!
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.