Page 77 of 194 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987127177 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,155 of 2908

Thread: Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin

Based on WHAT information.

Let's see, a 3 hour stint of looking SUPERVISED at his records was allowed by "select' media people.

His full records have NOT been released... And if you give a doctor only the good parts of your medical evals, surprise, they come up with good prognosis....

Full disclosure is being ignored on such a simple thing by the Maverick senator...

Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
    The fake pregnancy trash was said AFTER she was chosen.
    And here I thought we were talking about Troopergate. Please try to keep up.

You're an idiot. Where did I say that?
    But I'm not just gonna ride a one-way street with you and get called names. That's pointless.
    How soon they forget...

Anyways, to answer your question, it was implicit in your comment that it was a partisan witch hunt. Ergo, it was okay to defy the law and ignore the subpoenas.

Who supeona'd her? What is the makeup of the Alaskan Legislature?
    She was subpoenaed by the Senate Judiciary Committee.

Senate:

Republicans - 11
    Democrats - 9

House:

Republicans - 23
    Democrats - 17

[Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/25th_Al...te_Legislature]

This statement is not true.
    Fine. Legislative Council made up of members of the Legislature.

http://www.legis.state.ak.us/basis/g...SLEC&session=2

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/100/story/45779.html

My opinion was based on a personal observation. McCain refused to look Obama in the eye and, through body language, seemed to suggest he might catch some sort of disease by shaking his hand.

Also, let's remember this was a man who fought tooth and nail against the MLK holiday (That was until it was politicallly advantageous to support it). Let's also remember this was a man that supported the Confederate flag flying over the South Carolina capital.

Given his recent treatment of Obama there are valid questions McCain needs to address when it comes to race relations.

By BOB HERBERT
    Published: September 26, 2008
    The country is understandably focused on the financial crisis. But there is another serious issue in front of us that is not getting nearly enough attention, and that’s whether Sarah Palin is qualified to be vice president — or, if the situation were to arise, president of the United States.

History has shown again and again that a vice president must be ready to assume command of the ship of state on a moment’s notice. But Ms. Palin has given no indication yet that she is capable of handling the monumental responsibilities of the presidency if she were called upon to do so.

In fact, the opposite is the case. We know that there are some parts of Alaska from which, if the day is clear and your eyesight is good, you can actually see Russia. But the infantile repetition of this bit of trivia as some kind of foreign policy bona fide for a vice presidential candidate should give us pause.

The McCain campaign has done its bizarre best to shield Ms. Palin from any sustained media examination of her readiness for the highest offices in the land, and no wonder. She has been an embarrassment in interviews.

But the idea that the voters of the United States might install someone in the vice president’s office who is too unprepared or too intellectually insecure to appear on, say, “Meet the Press” or “Face the Nation” is mind-boggling.

The alarm bells should be clanging and warning lights flashing. You wouldn’t put an unqualified pilot in the ****pit of a jetliner. The potential for catastrophe is far, far greater with an unqualified president.

The United States has been lucky in terms of the qualifications of the vice presidents who have had to step in over the last several decades for presidents who either died or, in Richard Nixon’s case, were forced to leave office. Harry Truman and Lyndon Johnson became extraordinary presidents in their own right. Gerald Ford successfully guided the nation through the immediate aftermath of one of the most traumatic political crises in its history.

For those who think Sarah Palin is in that league, there is no problem. But her unscripted public appearances would lead most honest observers to think otherwise. When asked again this week about her puerile linkage of foreign policy proficiency and Alaska’s proximity to Russia, this time by Katie Couric of CBS News, here is what Ms. Palin said she meant:

“That Alaska has a very narrow maritime border between a foreign country, Russia, and on our other side, the land — boundary that we have with — Canada.”

She went on, but lost her way midsentence: “It’s funny that a comment like that was kind of made to — cari — I don’t know, you know? Reporters ...”

Ms. Couric said, “Mocked?”

“Yeah, mocked,” said Ms. Palin. “I guess that’s the word. Yeah.”

It is not just painful, but frightening to watch someone who could become the vice president of the United States stumbling around like this in an interview.

Ms. Couric asked Ms. Palin to explain how Alaska’s proximity to Russia “enhances your foreign policy credentials.”

“Well, it certainly does,” Ms. Palin replied, “because our, our next-door neighbors are foreign countries, there in the state that I am the executive of. And there—”

Gently interrupting, Ms. Couric asked, “Have you ever been involved in any negotiations, for example, with the Russians?”

“We have trade missions back and forth,” said Ms. Palin. “We do. It’s very important when you consider even national security issues with Russia. As Putin rears his head and comes into the airspace of the United States of America, where do they go? It’s Alaska. It’s just right over the border. It is from Alaska that we send those out to make sure that an eye is being kept on this very powerful nation, Russia, because they are right there. They are right next to our state.”

It was surreal, the kind of performance that would generate a hearty laugh if it were part of a Monty Python sketch. But this is real life, and the stakes couldn’t be higher. As Ms. Palin was fumbling her way through the Couric interview, the largest bank failure in the history of the United States, the collapse of Washington Mutual, was occurring.

The press has an obligation to hammer away at Ms. Palin’s qualifications. If it turns out that she has just had a few bad interviews because she was nervous or whatever, additional scrutiny will serve her well.

If, on the other hand, it becomes clear that her performance, so far, is an accurate reflection of her qualifications, it would behoove John McCain and the Republican Party to put the country first — as Mr. McCain loves to say — and find a replacement for Ms. Palin on the ticket
    Not that I'm the biggest fan of Obama, but he's certainly brighter than that bat!
    Bless you

My favorite part:

But the idea that the voters of the United States might install someone in the vice president’s office who is too unprepared or too intellectually insecure to appear on, say, “Meet the Press” or “Face the Nation” is mind-boggling
    Bless you

Quote Originally Posted by bodhitree View Post
    My favorite part:
    Dan Quayle ???
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderDawg View Post
    My opinion was based on a personal observation. McCain refused to look Obama in the eye and, through body language, seemed to suggest he might catch some sort of disease by shaking his hand.

Also, let's remember this was a man who fought tooth and nail against the MLK holiday (That was until it was politicallly advantageous to support it). Let's also remember this was a man that supported the Confederate flag flying over the South Carolina capital.
    Again, the man's posture is affected by the torture he recieved in Communist POW camps. You also said his family 'probably treated blacks' like servants. Do you know the McCain family? Care to take that back, or is it cool to just accuse people of being racists when you disagree politically with them?

Actually it was 'Fritz' Hollings, a Democrat governor, who signed into law the flying of that flag over the Statehouse. Not McCain.

Where did McCain fight 'tooth and nail' against the MLK holiday?
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

Again, the man's posture is affected by the torture he recieved in Communist POW camps. You also said his family 'probably treated blacks' like servants. Do you know the McCain family? Care to take that back, or is it cool to just accuse people of being racists when you disagree politically with them?
    It's a strategy of someone who is not capable of coming up with a real argument.

I'm so disappointed in the House right now. Both parties are going to send the economy as a whole to the brink. No job will be safe.
    Bless you

Both candidates have extreme weaknesses. McCain's biggest weakness and a potential reason I may not vote for anyone is Palin. She is an ideological dingbat who is not smart enough to be president.

I've voted in every election since I've turned voting age but see no hope for 2008's election. Hopefully whoever wins the election proves me wrong.
    Bless you

The bailout plan failed....GOOD!!!!! I know it probably failed for the wrong reasons but the fact that it did fail is a step forward.

Let's give those Wallstreet fatcats something to think about. Let them know they need to make changes to protect us all........let's not give in to economic blackmail....or, for all intent purposes, a Wallstreet welfare program.

I don't know about anyone else but I'm ready....I'm just harvested my garden and I'm ready to start another one if I need to...Plus I have a tent, sleeping bag and friends...Bring on the worst economic crisis!

The bailout plan failed....GOOD!!!!!
    Good for who? Certainly nobody that WORKS in any sector of the economy related to credit, spending, construction, retail, non-profit or manufacturing.

I know it probably failed for the wrong reasons but the fact that it did fail is a step forward.
    Forward, ha. If forward means millions of peoples' retirement accounts losing value, less homes being built, less jobs for Americans to fill, well then I guess it's full steam forward.

Let's give those Wallstreet fatcats something to think about. Let them know they need to make changes to protect us all........let's not give in to economic blackmail....or, for all intent purposes, a Wallstreet welfare program.
    It was a welfare program that started the whole risky lending thing. The Community Reinvestment Act, look it up. It encouraged banks to lend to low income people on the basis of race. Prior to that banks, for the most part, avoided risky loans.

Oh, and nobody but wall street would benefit from having a good economy. Ask the close to 500,000 who applied for unemployment last week (and the weeks before). A good economy and financial system is THE ONLY THING to create jobs. Bad economies and recessions destroy jobs.

I don't know about anyone else but I'm ready....I'm just harvested my garden and I'm ready to start another one if I need to...Plus I have a tent, sleeping bag and friends...Bring on the worst economic crisis!

Ha, yeah, that approach is realistic for the elderly, those will children, those with disabilities.

I would, however, encourage you to go live in your tent. Please don't take any means of electronic communication with you!
    Last edited by bodhitree; 09-29-2008 at 11:54 AM.
    Bless you

I don't see how anyone can be happy with the economy getting worse...
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

It was a welfare program that started the whole risky lending thing. The Community Reinvestment Act, look it up. It encouraged banks to lend to low income people on the basis of race. Prior to that banks, for the most part, avoided risky loans.
    That has been addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Reality_Check View Post
    Here is some interesting information: http://www.traigerlaw.com/publicatio...udy_1-7-08.pdf

"Our study concludes that CRA Banks were substantially less likely than other lenders to make the kinds of risky home purchase loans that helped fuel the foreclosure crisis.

Specifically, our analysis shows that:

(1) CRA Banks were significantly less likely than other lenders to make a high cost loan;

(2) The average APR on high cost loans originated by CRA Banks was appreciably lower than the average APR on high cost loans originated by other lenders;

(3) CRA Banks were more than twice as likely as other lenders to retain originated loans in their portfolio; and

(4) Foreclosure rates were lower in MSAs with greater concentrations of bank branches."
    Quote Originally Posted by Reality_Check View Post
    "More than half of subprime loans were made by independent mortgage companies not subject to comprehensive federal supervision; another 30 percent of such originations were made by affiliates of banks or thrifts, which are not subject to routine examination or supervision, and the remaining 20 percent were made by banks and thrifts."

I.e., the majority of the subprime loans were made by companies not subject to CRA.

http://www.house.gov/apps/list/heari...barr021308.pdf

Janet Yellin, President of the San Francisco Federal Reserve Board:

"There has been a tendency to conflate the current problems in the subprime market with CRA-motivated lending, or with lending to low-income families in general. I believe it is very important to make a distinction between the two. Most of the loans made by depository institutions examined under the CRA have not been higher-priced loans, and studies have shown that the CRA has increased the volume of responsible lending to low- and moderate-income households. We should not view the current foreclosure trends as justification to abandon the goal of expanding access to credit among low-income households, since access to credit, and the subsequent ability to buy a home, remains one of the most important mechanisms we have to help low-income families build wealth over the long term."

"According to the 2006 HMDA data, 19 percent of the conventional first lien mortgage loans originated by depository institutions were higher-priced, compared to 23 percent by bank subsidiaries, 38 percent by other bank affiliates, and more than 40 percent by independent mortgage companies. Robert B. Avery, Kenneth P. Brevoort, and Glenn B. Canner, “The 2006 HMDA Data,” Federal Reserve Bulletin, Volume 94 (2007), p. A89."

http://www.frbsf.org/news/speeches/2008/0331.html

As I noted above, independent mortgage companies are not subject to the CRA.

I would, however, encourage you to go live in your tent. Please don't take any means of electronic communication with you!
    That would suit me! I'd be in front of my tent with my old lady and we'd just be laughing and watching all of those rich people wondering around in a stupor wondering "What happened!"