Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amateur Video Tour of my Kwoon

Amateur Video Tour of my Kwoon

A little video I made of the Kwoon I train at. I thought it was alright for an amateur using a very basic video editing tool as well as videos and pics taken from my camera phone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ydr4k2OqBU
    Last edited by xcakid; 08-24-2008 at 07:20 PM.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

worst

music

ever
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    lmao

love the chi ball form

xcakid, i think you must be the most awesomest baddass kung fu mofo there is if you train there. can I be your disciple?
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    lmao

love the chi ball form

xcakid, i think you must be the most awesomest baddass kung fu mofo there is if you train there. can I be your disciple?
    I can't help but think of Street Fighter game everytime I do that form.

Hey c'mon, every systems has a goofy looking form somewhere.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

yep, they do. i discovered that the traditional way to do a certain move in xioa fanche resembles a rabbit w/ epilepsy.

ok, so, I'm going to play the strait man here: is that really your school?
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    yep, they do. i discovered that the traditional way to do a certain move in xioa fanche resembles a rabbit w/ epilepsy.

ok, so, I'm going to play the strait man here: is that really your school?
    Yes it is. It really is the school I train at. Why Looks too modern?

Here's the website: www.swyi.com
    Here's the full youtube page: www.youtube.com/shaolinwuyi
    Last edited by xcakid; 08-25-2008 at 04:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xcakid View Post

Dude!! That school looks awesome!!

Quote Originally Posted by xcakid View Post

well, it looks a little silly...you've struck me as more serious than that clip shows...

still not sure your not having fun...but, ok...the dudes with the polearms need to hit the weights if they are going to really train those weapons at 'combat' speed.

and the chi ball form is ridiculous.

OK I'll take that.

But I can assure you it is a very serious school. We have a student that took 2nd in San Shou at Taiji Legacy last year. We have 3 other that just started beginning of this year that is training for comps.

The chi ball form does have some interesting applications. I was shown 3, to be honest, 2 of them is a bit off. However, one application I can honestly I could use in a practical situation.

Also you gotta look at tthe context of where our school is located. Plano, TX is pretty affluent area. Median income is somewhere $80k+. 2 miles from our school we have tons of $2Mil+ homes. So we cater to that type of clientele. To serious martial artist, yes that is cheesy. To be honest with you, when I first walked into the doors of this school, I saw the decor. I thought "great another hoity toity school that teaches quasi kung fu" But I did not see cardi kickboxing on the curriculum so I watched a class and asked questions. And in talking with the sifu, he was pretty darn knowledgeable. And in seeing how he conducts his classes I knew that my first perception was not true. As I have mentioned before I have taken one form or another of martial arts since I was 13 off and on. From Ralph Castro Kempo, few no name schools to Ying Jow Pai under Sifu DiBatista from GM Leung Shum Lineage, I have been around long enough, I think, to know, or at least hope I do know a bad school from a good one.

But here's where the business end of a commercial school comes in. Anyone that wants to train can train. Regardless of what their reason are. 80% of our student body will probably never see the ring. 10% will only see competitions as forms dancers 5% will dabble in both fighting and form(me included in that) the other 5% will actually want to train hard and bang.

For the 80% that just want what they perceived kung fu is, that is what they get. For the rest we train them based on what they want to do. Our tuition includes group classes, 4 half hour private lessons. I have one student that have some muay thai background and want to compete in san shou. So his privates will consist of that. I have another student, female, just want to stay fit and active and learn some "self defense". That is what we will focus on for her. Sometimes, just sometimes, we find that within that 80% arises a serious martial artist sometime down the road. Meantime, we are happy to have that 80% keep the school open till we do.

In all seriousness, thank you for the honest opinion. It is always nice to get feedback. I am very loyal to my sifu and want to help him grow this school. So given the feedback, it give me an idea on how everything is perceived out there and maybe we can tweak it this way and that.

Holy Sh1t. You guys have 32 belts?

http://www.swyi.com/curriculum.htm
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Holy Sh1t. You guys have 32 belts?

http://www.swyi.com/curriculum.htm
    The other 4 chambers are probably mostly spiritual in nature, with the reading and writing of buddhist texts.

xcalkid
    Didn't realize you were WuYi. I've been at some cultural festivals with your demo team when I was doing the Okinawan drumming team. At one particular library you guys went up right after us. Looked a lot better in person than I've seen in the vids (I kinda remember a broadsword form).
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

your training hall looks nice and classy. i wish mine was nicer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

i hear ya...is there a clip of the fighters?

if not, they are getting shortchanged

No not yet. I have been meaning to take some footage of the sparring class. However, I am always taking the class or helping teach it. I will see if I can remember to take some footage when they are sparring after class or just goofing around.

Next year they will be going around competing though. So I will get footage then for sure.

yea, it's tough when you are training as well.

fyi, most of the clips on my youtube page are just done w/ a 7mp camera that captures at 60fps in .avi format. I gave up trying to use some sort of vid camera and having to transfer to the computer. this way, it comes straight off the camera and can be edited with many freeware programs out there.