Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: truth on Raul Ortiz

mantis7 Guest
    Hey word your old buddy is back... So I got a question for you word... Have you ever been to one of his classes have you seen him fight live??? have you anything besides his tapes to base your assumption on ????

Just wondering... oh yeah when are your tapes coming out I am dying to see it....

WongFeHung Guest
    Magnum, as far as promoting Chinese Martial Arts, tournament competition gets us out there, and producing videos does more than line your pocket, it puts you out in the public's eye. This of course opens you up to all sorts of criticism as well, but these are the risks we take, and in this case Sifu Ortiz is no exception. He has also brought Lee Kam Wing out here for seminars, and he has performed seminars in the area with other martial artists, in an attempt to bring the CMA community together. In the Chinese Martial Arts Community (Mo-Lum),it is a very small world, NY particularly is small, if I sneeze out here on LI, you can bet someone in Chinatown is saying "gesundtite"(doesn't sound very Chinese, does it?) The problem with alot of Kung-Fu schools is that tthey don't compete. There are the usual excuses, like 'the judges are from Karate, and don't know how to judge us" or whatever, but Sifu Ortiz, and myself as well as a handfull of CMA out here have been competeing in open tournaments, and Chinese tournaments, and we've been highly successful in both arenas, while the majority haven't even seen a tournament, let alone competed in, judged,officiated, or reffed one. It's all very easy to sit behind your pc and point fingers and sling mud, but untill you get out there, on the floor,in the judges seat, or as a center ref in the middle of two heavyweight fighters, it would be best to keep silent.

MiamiMantis Guest

Personal attacks

I agree. Lets keep this related to the promotion of Praying Mantis, not personal attacks. If you have a problem with someone, keep it out of the forum, and go visit him or her at their school if possible. You can express your personal view, but not as character attacks. Remember were all playing the same game just on different teams. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

bamboo_ leaf Guest
    yes i agree, but i don't see not competing in the turnaments here as a problem. some of the other mantis Sifus take thire classes to China or sponser seminares in China or even bring well known people from Asia to broden our understanding of mantis.

attemping to evaluate well known people on a public fourm dose what?

as one post said, go to the school or talk directly to the Teacher.

enjoy life

bamboo leaf

word Guest
    Raul is just playing the political game. Many sifus are playing this political game to help their name get out. Tournaments, seminars, meeting every sifu . . .

Do you ever see these " sifus" discussing techniques? No. They just talk about crap..

word Guest
    afdssfdsdfadf

Taijimantis Guest

To Magnus...

I am dissappointed that someone who would stick up for the heart and soul of the handicapped people, would use the word "gay" to describe things as stupid. Sexual orientation has nothing to do with intelligence.

As for the rest of you I will repeat what I have said in the past.

Word is full of ****.
    You know word is full of ****.
    I know word is full of ****.
    Even word knows he is full of ****.

Why not just leave it at that? Getting all upset only fuels his motivation.
    You guys just be glad I am not a moderator :)

As far as 86 forms being ridiculous...
    Tai Chi Mantis has at least 100.
    That is the empty hand sets.
    The two man empty hand sets.
    The single weapons sets.
    The double weapons sets.
    The two man weapons sets.
    The three man weapons sets.

Then there is the Tai Chi side of it...

Northern mantis is a big system.

May peace be your guide and serenity light your path.

Namaste.

Taijimantis Guest

oh yeah, one other thing...

Word is proud his post got four stars...

Any idiot can rate these things if I remember correctly.

aw.axis Guest

Thank You Word/Raul

Thanks for the poll Word, all I can say is that if i am ever in the states I will look up Sifu Raul and you to see how you both train and what you both could teach me. Perhaps you will let us know where we can train with you so I can judge for myself the merits of your techniques. You guys obviously dont get on for whatever reason, but for those who are interested in training why not tell us where you train or which sifu you learned under so we can see and learn.

Good luck to you.

Nathan Guest

Chi Luen Sect Members

Please do not react to comments about associated members of our sect. YOU must learn not to let others negativily effect your judgement and actions. We are not puppets on a string.

Nathan Chukueke

Hua Lin Laoshi Guest

UK Kung Fu

al

Where do you train? I just got back from England and was wondering where I might find some Mantis schools in case I have to go back.

aw.axis Guest

UK Kung Fu

Leicester (7 star mantis) is my school in the UK, if you log on to the ITSWA web site you will find a list of the 7 star schools and details on the ITSWA instructors around the UK. I am afraid I cant help if your an 8 Step or Tai Mantis practitioner, as I havent come across any UK schools as yet.

Hope this helps.

alecM Guest

al

Hi al I'm a Choy Lee Fut practitioner but I have two close friends who are 7 Star mantis instructors up here in the North East, Sifu Paul Tenet and Sifu Dave Graham. I have met Sifu Fearson a couple of times and I have had the honour of meeting Master Lee Kam when I once came down to Leicester .

Saying is not boasting at all. These views and words are mine, and do not represent my Sifu or school.

Hua Lin Laoshi Guest
    al

I practice Wah Lum but I like to visit other schools in the area when I travel.

alecM

I just got back (to the U.S.) from Lancaster and I didn't see any Kung Fu around there. I'm not sure yet if I'll be going back but I'd like to know what's in the area just in case. Preferable Mantis but Choy Lay Fut is interesting as well.

aw.axis Guest

Hua Lin Laoshi and AlecM

Thanks for the feedback guys its good to know there are other UK kung fu practitioners out there, TKD and karate seem to be flavour of the year in the UK at the moment. Alec there is a summer school scheduled in Barnsley in July with Sifu Lee Kam Wing teaching, as well as Wing Chun, Lion Dance, Tai Chi and Chi Kung. You would be very welcome if you wish to attend, I hope to make at least a day of the training (Kwan dao v Kwan dao form and double tiger hooks could be a possibility for more experienced mantis practitioners, as well as basics). Hua, there used to be Wah Lum Mantis but it seems to have gone quiet over here over the last few years (would appreciate any information on existing clubs from any other guys who are looking at this forum). If you ever return to the UK and are around the area you would be welcome. I dont know of any clubs around the Lancaster area (sorry not being much help there) but I will keep my ears/eyes open for you.

All the best