Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: hey guys if you're interested in our eye dotting ceremony check this out

to Chasincharpchui and Diego,
    [B] YELLOW-FACED LION or Multi-Colored = LAU ,BEI
    RED-FACED LION = KWAN<KUNG
    DARK-FACED(BLACK) LION = JEUNG(CHEUNG),FEI
    The Founder of Hung Sing Studios,Glorious Victory, is Jeung,(Yim)Hung-Sing so the Black Lion is representative of Hung Sing Choy Lee Fut.
    As this is what we were taught ,by our teacher Lau.Bun and what is also taught by our Fut-San School.
    m
    Last edited by seisei; 08-31-2008 at 08:49 AM.

Black lion is a young lion. Fierce and vigorous, sometimes a little head strong, with a green nose is a fighting lion, quite common, as it is suitable for all skill levels, beginner to advanced, young and old alike.

The Kwan Kung or red lion is a little older, smarter, retains the vigorousness, but displays knowledge of proper etiquettes and traditions, as well as good "field" generalship arguably the most common of traditional lions seen as it represents the honor Kwan Kung brings.

Traditionally to own a white lion or Lau Bei lion, a school had to be open for 10 years or more. Older and wiser, strong and purposeful and prominent postures, not as wild as the black lion, Shown with true experience and competence.

I thought "white lions" were to be used for funerals? I never recall seeing them used for lion dancing persay just black, red, gold, yellow, silver, etc...

White lions, meaning white hair. Is what I meant Whire hair and yellow hair are used interchangeably, depending on style, locale, and traditions.

Though there are some systems and branches of styles that use a white funeral lion, I don't think it is really all that common. I think likely in that sense, an existing lion is painted all white since it will be burned with the sifu, hence destroyed, and there really isn't any dance to it.

Blog Entries
    i agree.

white lions used for funerals only.

but, since jeung hung sing and jeung fei share the same name, the fut san hung sing kwoon lineage has a special connection to the black lion, the one who represents Jeung Fei. so i agree with my ssg "sei sei" as well.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

^^^ Cool, thanks for the infos

black means open challenge from what ive heard

and white for elders

the page is on french but you can find the explications of the different lion types:
    http://www.ymt.free.fr/fr/index.html

In short:
    Yellow1: head Multicolored with yellow dominance, beard white, body multicolored. Patron is Liu Bei. Symbolizes sovereignty.

Red: head red, beard black, body red. Patron is Guan Yu. Symbolizes Intelligence and bravery

Black: head black, beard black, body black. Patron is Zhang Fei. Symbolizes impetuosity, aggressiveness.

Green: head green, beard black, body green. Patron is Zhao Yun. Symbolizes youth and impetuosity

Yellow2: head yellow, beard white, body yellow. Patron is Huang Zhong.
    Symbolizes prudence.

Blog Entries

the dragon head of the ghee kung tong

well, i thought some of you might find this interesting, while others could find it disturbing. Either way, it is what it is. but the bald guy is the one who blessed our lions........

anyhow, this documentary was shown on the history channel's "gangland"

part 1

part 2

part 3

part 4

part 5

It's sad they let you in with a camera and the once secret society is out for all to see.

It's a wonder the society is dying, it is no longer secret or anything is sacred.

Blog Entries
    once ronin,

i'm sorry you feel that way. however, what wasn't supposed to be seen....WASN'T.

what you watched was an actual Hung Mun eye dotting ceremony. nothing secret about that. it wasn't like we filmed the triad initiation ceremonies or anything.

this day was glorious. and from the east to the west, 5 continents of people showed up for this celebration.

link 1

link2

link 3

link 4
    this one is actual newsfootage of the event.

so everything that was SECRET.......is still secret. it was only an eye opening ceremony.

but who did it, and when was more important.

Blog Entries
    thanks to those who checked it out.

Quote Originally Posted by once ronin View Post
    It's sad they let you in with a camera and the once secret society is out for all to see.

It's a wonder the society is dying, it is no longer secret or anything is sacred.
    It's not secret so much as it is esoteric.
    Not widely practiced and there is a lot involved.(The Lion dance rituals part that is)

Unfortunately, I can't see the vid anymore, but I did have the privileged of learning the Hoi-Gong ceremony in the time I spent also learning Lion Dance. It's a very interesting practice with equally interesting content and context.

I've seen it practiced on Lions, Dragons and even on dragon boats (which is by one reckoning the place where the ceremony started)

any chance you can put the vid up again?
    Last edited by David Jamieson; 09-11-2008 at 05:05 PM.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I agree that the lion eye opening ceromony definitly is NOT SECRETIVE as a matter of fact quite a few non-chinese officiate at these ceromonies, the secret that was reffered to was the swearing in of the new Dragon Head of the Hung Moon of which I believe there is only one at a time in the world,I also believe that it is a lifetime position,Perhaps a better word to use is not secret but culturally discreet as you know people love to ridicule things ,so that is why they wished to be discreet such as the English Freemasons are and many other private organisations are, college fraternaties etc. this particular eye opening was endorsing a certain lion dance club at the same time as the ceremony of swearing in of the new chairperson.Even the ceremony of a new Dragon Head to the Hung Moon has been documented in many books worldwide, no biggie, just a private party by invitation only from what I understand
    M
    Last edited by seisei; 09-11-2008 at 10:30 PM.

Well since all dont understand a word of Chinese all is good to share just the video.