Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: poll: who is the best wing chun practioner youve seen?

poll: who is the best wing chun practioner youve seen?

my instructors (nobody famous) augustine fong, eddie chong, and david grados top my list.
    "Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight."-Psalms 144:1

"I Am The Punishment Of God, If You Had Not Committed Great Sins, God Would Not Have Sent A Punishment Like Me Upon You"-Genghis Khan

"The light of the eyes is a comet, And ones' activity is as lightning, The sword that kills the man; is the sword that saves the man"

Quote Originally Posted by Katsu Jin Ken View Post
    my instructors (nobody famous) augustine fong, eddie chong, and david grados top my list.
    My mom. Definitely.
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Yip Man

Bruce Lee had the fitness worked out, regardless of the arguments of how much/how little he knew - He had the physical aspect worked out to where he could have looked incredible doing ANY form. He also had the creative mind to attempt to expand his knowledge - Successful or not, I've seen some pretty pathetic attempts to emulate this I've also seen some really good attempts as well.. He seemed to have believed in expandng his knowledge of all things though, rather than the current trend of simply mixing and matching styles.

Well id be mad if i didnt say my teacher. Sifu Yau - Lok Yiu Lineage.
    At 63 his structure and timing still make you think hes a strong guy when he aint

Heres a pic from the late 70's when he was in a few independent HK films -

http://hkmdb.com/db/people/view.mhtm...isplay_set=eng

Im always impressed with many from the WSL line.

Gary Lam / Clive potter / Sifu Bayer (sp)

I like this guys Chi Sao and Gor Sao, hes got a good foundation....must have a good teacher.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ysiddiqui

Quite a broad question really. But thats my lot.

DREW
    Last edited by Liddel; 08-30-2008 at 09:32 PM.
    Training is the pursuit of perfection - Fighting is settling for results - ME

Thats not VT

"This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to"- TOOL

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

Its good to be the King - http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=2vqmgJIJM98

Master Samuel Kwok has by far been the most impressive wing chun practitioner that I have had the distinct pleasure of training with and crossing hands with.....I, of course, still have to give Grandmaster Ip Ching the hugest amount of respect!!!!!!!!!!!

Moses

Wong Shun Leung and Philipp Bayer
    A clever fighter is one who not only wins, but excels in winning with ease (Sun Tzu, Art of war)

www.wslvt.com
    www.vingtsunkungfu.nl / www.vt4um.eu

another predictable thread

Lots of folks will list their sifu and/or their sigung. Plus, there are experience differences in
    who really has seen what when and how.

joy chaudhuri

Difficult to give an order but....

The people I study with and keep going back to must impress me!!! Trevor Jefferson, David Peterson, Lun Kai.

In only met Barry Lee and Wong Shun Leung once but they both impressed me with their skills and attitude.

Ip Chun, Ip Ching and Tsui Shong Tin have unique skills that impress me.

Duncan Leung, Robert Chu, Alan Orr, Ernie Barrios, Gary Lam Sam Kwok & Gwok Gai Jan would also be on my list.

Quote Originally Posted by Liddel View Post
    I like this guys Chi Sao and Gor Sao, hes got a good foundation....must have a good teacher.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ysiddiqui
    He's Michael Louison from the WSLVT line.

Mainly from sifus: Nino Bernardo and Ng Chun Hong according to his website.

I only have first hand experience of Alan Orr and Alan Gibson teaching in a seminar setting and very much liked their teaching style.

There are some really fine clips (and DVDs) of Alan Orr sifu teaching Chu Sau Lei WCK body structure.

Similarly there are some good clips and DVDs of Alan Gibson sifu out there. I've got to say the WSL line of teachers are very impressive with their directness.

Best wishes,
    Chee.

This is off the subject but what's Gor Sao?
    "Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight."-Psalms 144:1

"I Am The Punishment Of God, If You Had Not Committed Great Sins, God Would Not Have Sent A Punishment Like Me Upon You"-Genghis Khan

"The light of the eyes is a comet, And ones' activity is as lightning, The sword that kills the man; is the sword that saves the man"

gor sau is like free application chi sau

I have seen many ,, trained with many ,, some might say a few of the big names ..
    been around the globe a bit as well

to answer your question .... based on ''hands on'' directly with the main individual or senior students [ which is really the true testament to a persons training methods ,,how well they can pass it on to the regular guy ,, not just how special that one individual may or may not be ]

and as far as Im concerned there is no best ... best in respect to what ? definitely not fighting none of these cats are out fighting most are to old or just not interested .
    so you got some guys good at Chi sau which is 90% trickery or set up that only exist because your doing ''chi sau ''

some are good Technicians in the training methods of there particular system or approach ( since they set the rules and create there individual nuances of course they control there game )

some are flashy and entertaining

so the ''best'' you can hope for is to enjoy what ever ''show'' you signed up for
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com

I still didnt find one who do 60% of what the ancient kuit recorded. I dont find doesnt mean they dont exist.

Keep looking still.

Philipp Bayer

William Cheung, when I first met him back in 1983,84,85...simply incredible at that time. Including having the best, strongest, fasted, and most versatile kicking arsenal I have ever seen in any wing chun guy to this day - with the lone exception to that being Bruce Lee....although William's overall wing chun arsenal left Bruce in the dust, I'm sure.

In fact, his overall knowledge and skill level of wing chun (be it TWC or Center-of-mass wing chun) was beyond anything or anyone I had ever met, touched hands with (ie.- Moy Yat, Victor Kan, Mak Po)...or seen in books, magazine articles, or videos.

I regret the fact that William has pretty much dropped COM wing chun from his program as the years went by and began only teaching that which is markedly different about Traditional Wing Chun (TWC)...different than COM (ie.- the blindside strategy and it's corresponding footwork, central principles, etc)...

as an MMA guy at the present time - which I prefer to understand as "Multi" Martial Arts rather than "Mixed" Martial Arts - since the latter now cannotates a certain type of technique program that I prefer to go beyond - SUCH AS ADDING WING CHUN INTO THE MIX (as well as lots of catch wrestling)...

as such an MMA guy - I prefer to MIX both approaches to wing chun.

That said, the elements of TWC clearly dominate my total wing chun package.

And a very honorable mention to people like Wong Shun Leung, Gary Lam, and Duncan Leung - the training vids I have (or have seen) by these three being top shelf examples of COM wing chun.
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 09-06-2008 at 03:12 PM.