Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Traditional 18 Forms

Traditional 18 Forms

What are the traditional 18 forms taught within the 7* Preying Mantis System?

No sure, we have 80+....

Paul

Paul: and you believe they are all traditional?
    If you can´t change the world - change yourself!
    And if you can´t change yourself: change YOUR world!
    ---
    My YouTube Site

Depneds what you mean by traditonal I guess....

80 + is a new one to me. With whom do you train?
    Jake

PS If you are interested in the traditional 18 check out my site in the mantis section www.threeharmonies.com
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Three Harmonies View Post
    the traditional 18 check out my site in the mantis section www.threeharmonies.com

I only saw your mention of beng bu, luan jie, and ba zhou.

Didn't see the 18 forms.

Go to "styles" click on "Bei Tanglang"

The site is NOT easy to navigate. Hence me revamping the whole thing. Not sure when it will be done, but it will be much nicer!
    Jake
    Jake Burroughs
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com

Smile

I think what he meant was 18 styles or rather the 18 families, which we have covered over and over again on these boards. Besides there really isn't anything that is formed by 18 forms unless of course it's yet another Shaolin Do gimmick.

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

I think mantis108 is on the right track here.
    I was going to correct the question with the answer of the 18 styles some versions of mantis is made up of...... not 18 forms taught, as many styles have thier own collection of forms and that number varies from family to family.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries
    Seven Star Praying Mantis book had a pink page or pages. On this was eighteen something. They included proper names. I took, at first them to be styles as I thought of styles. To me style in Kung-Fu meant form or forms based on a theme.

I realized later that they were what I might call techniques--a move or a few moves done with particular function in mind. Like the Karate type move where the fist whirls around the other and pulls to the side of the body while the actual noted part --the fist, goes up to make a block.

That's a technique. But it might be So-and-So's Style of block. And when all moves are secret, sort-of=thing, a technique Now-a-days was a Style back then. Only a few moves were known to be used. All others while vital to the Teacher or the System, only the dead and the next instructor of the System got to know those.

So I was of the understanding that Seven Star (at least one something called Seven-Star Praying Mantis (Seven Star Tanglang--Seven Star because the insect had seven spots on it, the seven splotches were in a pattern seeming to be a dipper of the Northern sky, or they were saying this is a great Kung-Fu (Undefeatable (a cultural thing))))incorporated seventeen techniques from Well established or formidable people or Kung-Fus...seventeen techniques framed by the theme of preying mantis characteristics--not necessarily physical.

Two I am also called Two--Ehr-Ni, Two-You. It can mean twice as good as you But also Second to you. Seven Star seventeen techniques might have been performed in such a way that the arms are close and strong and the hands grab such that that could resemble a praying mantis. And the footwork could have resembled monkies. If these creaturs were around at the naming period for this Kung-Fu composite or Mixed Martial Art, perhaps, then it might have been stylized or fancified-ish and sold as being the strength of the insect intensified and personified. All the while masking the actual individual techniques that were actually being used.

Some-such-perhaps-some-might-say-some-such.

I No_Know
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

Thank You!!!

I am aware of the 18 different styles that Wang Lang used to created his Preying Mantis system, the 3 core sets created by Wang Lang and SD's supposed / proposed 18 Original Forms.

Here is another question, what weapon sets have you all learned or know of within the 7*PMS?

And what about the Mook Jong Set ( Wooden Dummy Set)??

Weapons will all depend on the teacher and his/her previous experiences. In some cases a lot of the weapons from southern systems has been adopted. Too general a question bro.
    Same with the wooden dummy, though that is even more specific to the CCK group I believe (Robert will chime in shortly I am sure, and he can help loads more than I).

I have known some Mantis cats who practice on the Mok jung, but the CCK group is the only group I know of that actually created a set.
    Cheers
    Jake
    Jake Burroughs
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com

Thank you.......

What weapons forms do you teach, Jake??

Well I teach them in private lessons only, my group class is reserved for combatives.
    But over the years I have learned the Jian Ma Dao / Monks Spade / Dao / Staff / XY straight sword / Kuan Dao / Miao Dao and I know a little whip chain, though not a traditional form per se. I also trained 5 years with Remy Presas in stick and knife work, but again the forms were nothing to speak of.

Cheers
    Jake
    Jake Burroughs
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com

Thank you ......

Which of these , if any, are mantis forms/ weapons??