Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storms and the Houston monks?

Storms and the Houston monks?

Has anyone heard from the monks in Houston? Shi Deshan, Shi Xinghao, Shi Xingying and Shi Xingfeng or their students? How did they weather Rita?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

If they lived in the general area of their schools, they should be fine. They are on the west side of Houston and the hurricane hit east of I45 and a bit more north.

the biggest issue right now is gasoline. After that youhave making sure you have power. There are parts of town without power. not much is open...and when you do find a place to eat that is open, the menu is limited. It will be another day or two before things get back to normal.

Hey, good to hear from you!

How is Madame Wang and Dr. Wu? And Grace? Do you know?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

shi xing feng??hehe u mean shi yan feng??
    im pretty sure they all are fine.....i am fine....it didnt hit us at all as far as i am concerned...only lost power in some area....barly any rain...not dat strong of winds...only some stuff knocked down..i seen worse weather here before and it wasnt even cause of a hurricane..but i am glad it decided to swing north and miss houston =)....feel bad for the other parts of texas and lousiana though

gasoline is back up and running here..a lot of places have back gasoline since saturday...a lot of business is open too...everything is almost back to normal execpt school

it was a very boring 3-4 day last week...OMG I WAS GOING CRAZY
    Teo Chew Association: Unicorn Dragon and Lion Dance Team
    潮州會館 麒麟龍獅團
    http://www.facebook.com/TctLionDance

United States Dragon & Lion Dance Federation
    usdldf.org

No Limit Arts & Gifts
    http://www.facebook.com/NoLagX

Good to hear...

Oops on the Xing/Yan. I think that's the first time I've ever made that mistake. There are two Yanfengs. The other one was here a few weeks ago. That's my excuse for the mix up.

I heard from Shawn Liu (Deru). He's ok. He said his school took some damage and many of his students lost everything. All things are impermanent.

Glad you are all safe.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

But who is the REAL Yanfeng?

By real I mean the one aoppointed by the government, to pretend he is teaching, traditional kungfu, when it is really just sloppy wushu. Maybe they should do forms next to each other until one of them passes out. Os see who could shave his head and lace up a pair of feivues quicker.

Just kidding. Not completely I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Mortal1
    ....to pretend he is teaching, traditional kungfu, when it is really just sloppy wushu....
    ouch!!! isn't that what shaolin monks are supposed to do??
    c'mon everybody.. let's do spirit fingers....

Mortal1 & cbishop

Are you mocking Rita victims?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

No. Not at all. Just doing a little low brow monk humour. I guess it wasn't appropriate for this thread.

I wish all the monks and anyone else effected the best.

thanks gene for your concern on us houston folks.

as to the guy who wanted to pair up the two *YANFENGS* next to each other and have them to forms until one pass out, what does that accomplish?
    when you look for a teacher, do you see which one is better in shape? or which one knows what they are doing and techniques? a person can easily outlast anyone in doing form just by simplying practicing endurance cardio a lot.
    but to be a teacher doesnt mean you have to be in shape (of course havign a teacher in shape would be a lot better also) but all the teacher is there is just to guide you, he just has to show you and watch you practice and correct you and teach you the meaning of the form/movements/applications. no endurance is needed for that. a good teacher just has to be able to show you how to bring your fullest potential. sorry if it doesnt really make sense, but i hope you are understand at where i am going.
    *edit* ok i know what i am trying to say, do you want a teacher that is fit and can run 21093812 miles without dropping a sweat but has no knowledge at all. or do you want a teacher that can barly run a mile but has knowledge and what he is teaching. anyone can easily be in shape, but not everyone can accquire a lot of knowledge espchially in a martial art field. students, competitors, performers, teachers, all are different...a good competitor that win everyone tournament doesnt neccesarily mean he will be a good teacher. that why i never cared for people/teachers that said they won howveer many competitions and yada yada.

and sorry to disappoint you, the yan feng i train with already admits if he is teaching wushu or when he is teaching traditional, hell he even admits in mixing it together in the forms.
    so guess he isnt the real one appointed by the governement to pretend =)

(* i am not putting down any of the yan feng, i am not saying one yan feng is better then the other as i have never seen the other yan feng, please do not mis interpret what i am trying to say)
    Last edited by Pk_StyLeZ; 09-27-2005 at 04:52 PM.
    Teo Chew Association: Unicorn Dragon and Lion Dance Team
    潮州會館 麒麟龍獅團
    http://www.facebook.com/TctLionDance

United States Dragon & Lion Dance Federation
    usdldf.org

No Limit Arts & Gifts
    http://www.facebook.com/NoLagX

sorry gene, don't understand how you came to that conclusion.
    my quip was only at spirit fingers..

also, i have family spread all over houston.
    i don't think the situation is quite so dire. i realize that many people
    have had property destroyed, and i empathize as i live in Oklahoma.
    we have tornados that roll through and destroy cities EVERY YEAR.
    does this exempt oklahomans from being the butt of an
    occasional joke?
    Last edited by cbishop; 09-28-2005 at 06:46 AM.

Pk_StyLeZ and anyone else who thought I was serious.

I WAS JOKING!!!!! HELLO MCFLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I WAS JOKING!!!!!!!!!!!

My own off color shaolin humour that all. Nothing more. Not true personal attacks. I meant nothing by endurance! I was joking! All of their conditioning is near amazing.

The only part that had a grain of truth is the wushu part. I trained with 3 different monks for 6 years. I KNOW 2 of them taught wushu and called it shaolin. And the way they taught wushu was sloppy with shortened versions of the true wushu forms. Also even the so called shaolin forms that are taught now are very wushu oriented.

I am not abusing wushu either. I train straight up wushu now and totally love it!

No disrepect to anyone. Jeez.

Grace was down here a week or so ago. We were so busy that we did not get a chance to do anything but speak with her on the phone.

Madame Wang and Dr. Wu are doing OK as is Xiaoping. They were planning on heading up to Wichita to ride out the storm but like us, got stuck. The roads were pretty much closed until Friday. By that time, it was not clear if there would be gas available. So, we all just stayed put.

The storm then took a turn east and it was more like a brisk gale with a little rain on the west side. North and east were hit harder (my office lost part of its roof but it is WAY north).

All in all, everyone made it through the storm fairly well.

I would assume that the Shaolin folks did as well since all of their schools tend to be on the west side.

21093812 miles

No sweat Mortal1 & cbishop. I guess I'm a little touchy about the recent tragedies, so your comments seemed out of place. I got some bad news from TX yesterday from a good friend, not a martial arts friend, who lost everything.

Anyways, as for the name game, there aren't as many Chinese names as there are American names (to be fair, any Chinese names *can be* an American name; I'm more refering to common names.) It's fairly common for monk names to be repetative. For instance, there's another Xinglong, although I've never met him. In fact, I recently met a Gene Chen (same Chen character as my Ching) but not in the martial circle.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Hey Gene!!

Sorry caught this post a little late. Houston survived and I know Xing Hao is just fine. I am not sure about the other monks though . As the previous posts stated we didn't get hit bad. The suburban police department I work for had us working 12 hour shifts through the whole thing (talk about frustrating as we could not be with our families). I think the news media frightened everyone with the Louisiana Katrina thing with all the devastation coverage and looting. It was an errie feeling patrolling through virtually an empty city that was shut down. There were so many of us out there we running over each other . All is well though!!