Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Personal Protection

Personal Protection

What types of items outside of knives and firearms do you teach your students to carry or carry yourselves on your person (i.e. in your pocket, in a purse, etc.) to use as a weapon?

I got an 80 pound Bulldog. Does that count?
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

ive always been fond of nunchaku. easily concealed in the inside pocket of a jacket, light weight, wide variety to suit your need.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Lawn darts. They were outlawed for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Noob View Post
    Lawn darts. They were outlawed for a reason.
    Those things are badass!

Personally I just use my keys or a pocket knife.

I use to carry a Spiderco knife, but down here in PR people carry guns and knives, they aint scared to use them. I personally know people who have been shot and who have shot others.

I find it best to remain low key and unproblematic. I am getting a gun, but my attitude is one of going very far out of my way to stay out of trouble. As a gringo down here it is easy to offend someone. And if you offend one, you offen 20 who will jump you.

Yo tranquillo

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post
    I find it best to remain low key and unproblematic.
    word.

If I have my way I'll never get into another street fight in my life. Having had the opportunity to be around and travel around and see many different walks of life, I feel its given me the ability to be able to spot bad areas and situations ahead of time and the right idea as how to carry myself and when. When to appear meak and of no importance and when to appear as so not to be fuked with.

its funny if you ever read the hagikure or bushido stuff when you are young and then realize alot of it was actually helpful at one point or another.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

When I'm travelling, I find a nice hot cup of coffee or tea to be very comforting.
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiao3 Meng4 View Post
    When I'm travelling, I find a nice hot cup of coffee or tea to be very comforting.
    yep. nothing like a scalding cup of java in a guy's face for openers.
    Anything can be used as a weapon. From chopsticks(I had a really nice set of silver plated stainless ones-very heavy and solid) to fans, to metal bookmarks, a credit card, or peice of plastic can be bent and torn to create a knife-edge that will open someone up.
    I suppose you can carry a baseball bat (with the pricetag still on it, as if you've just purchased it) practically anywhere=except the opera...no one would question you, and no one would think twice about choosing another prey.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    . When to appear meak and of no importance and when to appear as so not to be fuked with.
    This is exactly right.

I don't know if it helped or not, but I didn't know the rules when I first moved down here and I got ****ed with and I blew my top. I fought three guys, one had a pipe... which hit me before I was able to take it away.

That was a bad move. Because then literally 20 guys came at me.... one with a pipe, two with knives and one confirmed gun wrapped in a t-shirt. Friends said they were intend on shooting me in the leg (everyone knows the law down here and the penalties).

Turns out they know I'll bite if provoked too much. But they also know that I know that if I **** around with anyone I'll get jumped.

Sucks for me as a gringo surfer. Have to watch a lot of good waves go by but in the end this is their land and it's a blessing to be able to share in its beauty and bounty even if on a probationary period. It's only been two years.

the best lesson to teach is the fact that everything is a weapon... personally here are some favorites... canes, walking sticks, hardwood mason levels, block hammers, trowels, spade shovel, concrete rake, beer bottles, digging pick-axe, rock bar, chair, bungee cords, rebar... most of the smaller items are in my car at all times, canes you can carry around on your person even into stores, banks, etc... but nothing out does a solidly placed headbutt.

everything that isn't nailed down is a weapon.

why carry anything? there's almost always something at hand when and if you should need it.

having said that, chairs are very handy.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    everything that isn't nailed down is a weapon.
    then you can always just tear it up.

I like condoms. Not only do they serve a multitude of purposes but in an unused pack they also make a great throwing weapon!

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderDawg View Post
    I like condoms. Not only do they serve a multitude of purposes but in an unused pack they also make a great throwing weapon!
    i bet wielding a used condom will absolutely keep a would-be attacker at bay... the art of fighting without fighting.