Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 7-11 Taiwan Chicken Feet

7-11 Taiwan Chicken Feet

Good Morning Folks,
    As I am sure we would all agree, an important part of martial arts excellence is the right diet. And here in Taiwan we have been keeping up with the latest in sports nutrition advances.

So I present to you all; the 7-11 Microwave Chicken Feet! Actually I send this around for all the old Taiwan folks who might remember chicken feet. 7-11 has now started stocking microwaveable chicken feet. In fact the kids at the 7-11 will nuke them right there for you. I actually like them, but they are pretty labor intensive (taking the little feets apart and all the in the mouth maneuvering trying to get the fat/gristle/flesh off the little bones) and…they may not be health conscious.

But still I thought the two photos might amuse folks and show that Taiwan is still a leader in food technology. The whole thing motivated me to do the xingyi chicken form this morning during my practice.

Yours in Taiwan food weirdness,
    Brian

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q...012_edited.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q...017_edited.jpg

I say we get thru 6 posts before someone informs us of the magical chi building properties of chicken feet.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

This is good, since I hear chicken feet has magical chi building power.
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

Why do you think they call it chicken?
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    my grandma always ate pickled chicken feetses...she lived to be 111.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    ...or maybe it was pickled chicken fetuses...you could hardly understand her unless she put her dentures in....
    Last edited by Oso; 08-27-2008 at 07:26 PM.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Microwaved Chicken Feet - BLEAH!

Back in the 60s Mark Foon took a few of us on a food break to a restaurant on Mott St. and enthusiastically ordered the "soup of the day" .... Chicken Foot Soup.
    Being unfamiliar with oriental tastes in food, I wanted to know why this particular soup was so great.... Mark Foon emphatically stated "fix joints!" (or something similar). I then discovered that it was even more important to learn how to eat the danged things. It turned out that the approved method was to pop a whole chicken foot in your mouth and tongue it around a bit, trapping the many small bones against your palate with your tongue while swallowing the flesh/skin/whatever.
    Following this, it was "ok" to simply push out the bones into your palm and put them on a side dish.

I worked my way through the course, and still was unsure about the benefits of the soup... went to crack my fingers.... and heard NOTHING!
    Mark Foon (nodding vigorously/affirmative): "FIX JOINTS!"
    (NOTHING cracked for about 3 months after that.....)

I actually tried chicken feet once. Those small bones are a pain in the rectum. I am lazy when it comes to eating, it has to be easy: boneless spare ribs, boneless chicken wings. At times I wish my local pizzeria would throw a slice of pepperoni in the blender so I can just drink it.

So yeah, chicken feet is too much work.
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

not much of a fan for chicken feet or phoenix claws.

but I am a big fan for pork feet.

pork feet with noodle.

WOW, drooling like a pig.

--

Eastern State Mental Hospital Psych Ward, Room 12
    You know, I worked in a chinese restaurant where the owners would eat chicken feet. I thought it was disgusting. They always told me that chicken feet were good for the joints. I told them i would pass. They would boil them then eat them.

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    not much of a fan for chicken feet or phoenix claws.

but I am a big fan for pork feet.

pork feet with noodle.

WOW, drooling like a pig.

--

Tried pig knouckles too once. Too tough.
    ------
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by GreenCloudCLF View Post
    Tried pig knouckles too once. Too tough.
    They are not too tough. Just drop them in a crock pot with some dried pinto beans, some water, a pinch of paprika and nothing else. Let it simmer for at least 6 hours. The meat falls right off the bones and the sodium that is in cured pigs feet seasons the beans. Easy. then you can ladel the beens and ham hocks over either corn bread or steamed rice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

My wife previously recounted a childhood memory of eating a trotter. Her family is poor and couldn't afford much meat and it was probably the biggest single piece of meat she had ever eaten at that time.

I had been buying boneless, skinless chicken breasts as our main source of protein for a while and picked up a trotter for her at Wal Mart. She cooked it and said that she really didn't like it.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Might have been how she cooked it. My family is one of those friggin huge scotts-irish families. We ate, and still eat, a lot of stuff others thought was strange. I also have a great, stupidly simple recipe for pickled cow's heart and toungue. Also checken liver. My great grandmother used to make fried chicken feet, but I never liked them as much as the pickled heart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it