Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Differences between choy lay fut and boxing punches

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    I did learn that in order to be real good at it one would require a degree of physical prowess.
    To be good at any type of unarmed combat takes physical prowess.

It is fairly limited in scope and not just anyone is going to become really good at it. Not good enough to defend one's self against even an average individual with some fighting skills.
    LOL... boxing is as good or better than any other single self-defense system.

It can be as good I guess, but not everyone is going to be able to excell at it. Not everyone is going to be a Mike Tyson. The average person will never be good enough to fight against a really good gung fu system. The main reason being that it is so limited and that the average person does not have the long days of training that most really good boxers put in. If you have ever hung around a boxers gym you will see a lot of guys there, but not many of them will ever be good enough to fight for money. Most people never really get good at boxing at all. A good fighting system like wing chun can be taught and used pretty quickly by most anyone. They do not need to be real athletic or possess great physical prowess. I have done a little boxing as I said. But I could never reach the levels of some of the greats, not even if I worked 8 hours a day for years and years. These people tend to be exceptional. I have had a number of confrontations over the years and in all of them pretty much the only fight they did was boxing. It was simple to take them down. Now, this is not to say that they could not be dangerous. Anyone of any size can hurt you if you are not in control. In any fight you need to understand that you can be hurt seriously and you need to approach it with that in mind. I am not talking about ring fighting. That is sport at best and no one is in danger of being killed or maimed. In a real fight with someone that is intent upon doing you in, you can not afford to be taken down or knocked out. It could lead to your death or perminent injury.

It is fairly limited in scope and not just anyone is going to become really good at it. Not good enough to defend one's self against even an average individual with some fighting skills.
    Wow, if it's so limited in scope and you say that most people would not be any good at it, how then, could anyone get good at Kung-Fu, when it's scope is so broad??

The average person will never be good enough to fight against a really good gung fu system.
    Are you kidding?

main reason being that it is so limited and that the average person does not have the long days of training that most really good boxers put in.
    You are not serious here, are you???

I was going to deconstruct the rest of your post, but I realize that there is no point.

A serious question: "Did you come to this conclusion yourself, or had a teacher/mentor shared this idea with you?" And I'm not being funny here, I would really like to know.

Lee Chiang Po sounds like he has never been in a real fight.

Keep talking son. Keep talking.

Most people never really get good at boxing at all. A good fighting system like wing chun can be taught and used pretty quickly by most anyone. They do not need to be real athletic or possess great physical prowess. I have done a little boxing as I said.
    As someone who has extensive wing chun experience and decent boxing experience, I have to say that I have seen about 10 times as many people make boxing effective, than wing chun.

If you are not in fighting shape and something is holding you back from making boxing effective, the chances of making a kung fu system work are even worse.

At my old Wing Chun school there were maybe two or three guys, out of around 100 students over the course I was there, who I would have felt comfortable taking to a fight with me.

At my boxing gym I'd take practically everyone, except for the old fat ladies doing it for fitness.

Hell, I'd take some of the KIDS at my boxing gym over some of the WC ADULTS in any of the several WC schools I've trained at.
    Last edited by JGTevo; 09-22-2008 at 11:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JGTevo View Post
    As someone who has extensive wing chun experience and decent boxing experience, I have to say that I have seen about 10 times as many people make boxing effective, than wing chun.

If you are not in fighting shape and something is holding you back from making boxing effective, the chances of making a kung fu system work are even worse.

At my old Wing Chun school there were maybe two or three guys, out of around 100 students over the course I was there, who I would have felt comfortable taking to a fight with me.

At my boxing gym I'd take practically everyone, except for the old fat ladies doing it for fitness.

Hell, I'd take some of the KIDS at my boxing gym over some of the WC ADULTS in any of the several WC schools I've trained at.
    Right on point.

It can be as good I guess, but not everyone is going to be able to excell at it. Not everyone is going to be a Mike Tyson. The average person will never be good enough to fight against a really good gung fu system. The main reason being that it is so limited and that the average person does not have the long days of training that most really good boxers put in. If you have ever hung around a boxers gym you will see a lot of guys there, but not many of them will ever be good enough to fight for money. Most people never really get good at boxing at all. A good fighting system like wing chun can be taught and used pretty quickly by most anyone. They do not need to be real athletic or possess great physical prowess. I have done a little boxing as I said. But I could never reach the levels of some of the greats, not even if I worked 8 hours a day for years and years. These people tend to be exceptional. I have had a number of confrontations over the years and in all of them pretty much the only fight they did was boxing. It was simple to take them down. Now, this is not to say that they could not be dangerous. Anyone of any size can hurt you if you are not in control. In any fight you need to understand that you can be hurt seriously and you need to approach it with that in mind. I am not talking about ring fighting. That is sport at best and no one is in danger of being killed or maimed. In a real fight with someone that is intent upon doing you in, you can not afford to be taken down or knocked out. It could lead to your death or perminent injury.
    This is exactly the kind of b.s. that makes kung fu a laughing stock.

What is even worse is that so many clueless kung fu instructors actually believe this cr@p and spew it down to their unsuspecting students who then become instructors and continue to spew the myths.

Form training is the problem......maybe more shadow boxing....or walking in the forest and play with the three...for footwork and strike .....forms are just a memorize stuff like a dance choregraphie .....nothing natural or expression of urself.....ur physical ,psycho and spirit.....if you have to learn a pattern you will be stiff...dont forget to breath.....

Quote Originally Posted by Steeeve View Post
    Form training is the problem......maybe more shadow boxing....
    forms are just a memorize stuff like a dance choregraphie .....nothing natural or expression of urself.....ur physical ,psycho and spirit.....if you have to learn a pattern you will be stiff...dont forget to breath.....
    If this is "where you are", then you've yet to learn how to actually DO kung fu "forms".
    "Mu Gung Fu" is the correct term and means something surprisingly LIKE "shadow-boxing".... although a bit more like "mimicry"/"acting".

As one of his few words of "English", Wong Ark Yuey actually was prone to calling the sets "acting".

Quote Originally Posted by bakxierboxer View Post
    If this is "where you are", then you've yet to learn how to actually DO kung fu "forms".
    "Mu Gung Fu" is the correct term and means something surprisingly LIKE "shadow-boxing".... although a bit more like "mimicry"/"acting".

As one of his few words of "English", Wong Ark Yuey actually was prone to calling the sets "acting".
    Doesn't "Mu Gung Fu" as you wrote, literally mean "Dance" or "Play" your Gung-Fu? I don't think it's a term used for anything else than your teaching telling you to practice...

If it has some other meaning, I'd like to know about it.

MP

Boxing VS CLF:
    Both are fine for what they were designed to do AND for what they are trained to do.
    Both have as much similarities as differences.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    In Gung-Fu, the term,"Play" takes on a deeper meaning. It means explore, expand your awareness, be free in your techniques, listen to your opponent,feel him, feel yourself, your reactions, etc. Children play. Their imagination takes them to other worlds, where many people as adults no longer have the ability to experience. We close ourselves off. Our rational mind, our experiences, our enviornment creates barriers and limitations on our ability to experience.

(This is the same way we create baggage, and lose our ability to have deep, meaningful relationships. We carry all this psychological baggage, and then wonder why people can't get close to us)
    yet I digress...
    I guess those half-doses of ritalin aren't cutting it. oh look! A bird!

well, you get the idea

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Gung-Fu is about self-exploration.
    "You need to steal your Sifu's hand," is an expression we constantly use. This means when you are "playing" with your Sifu, don't concentrate on what you are doing, rather, concentrate on what you are feeling him do. Then try to replicate that in yourself.
    If we get too caught up in doing each movement of a form completely correct,we're thinking of the form and not of the technique. we get rigid in our thinking and our movement, which doesn't allow ourselves to break free of the form.
    This the method of internalizing your Gung-Fu.
    Last edited by TenTigers; 09-24-2008 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lama Pai Sifu View Post
    Doesn't "Mu Gung Fu" as you wrote, literally mean "Dance" or "Play" your Gung-Fu? I don't think it's a term used for anything else than your teaching telling you to practice...

If it has some other meaning, I'd like to know about it.
    As far as Wong Ark Yuey was concerned, it was "the other" "play", as in "play acting".
    As he used it, it was very definitely NOT "dance".
    Much more like "moving the way you do it".... "pantomime"/mimicry.

bakxierboxer, is this "mu" the same as in "mou si zi" (move/play the lion)?

There is another martial arts saying/term: "mou do lung cheung" (playing with sabres and spears) - 舞刀弄槍