Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Differences between choy lay fut and boxing punches

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    "You need to steal your Sifu's hand," is an expression we constantly use.
    You HAVE been doing a lot of SPM lately, haven't you?

If we get too caught up in doing each movement of a form completely correct,we're thinking of the form and not of the technique. we get rigid in our thinking and our movement, which doesn't allow ourselves to break free of the form.
    This the method of internalizing your Gung-Fu.
    Hmmm..... 'hair splitting time"?
    Concentrating on the sequence/details of a set is "a phase" you need to go through while learning it.
    Another stage is when you "see" your "opponent" and are fighting that opponent.
    "breaking free" of a set happens (for me) when I no longer have to consciously follow the pattern of the moves as memorized, but actually begin to "drive" my "opponent" from one move to the next.... and the moves are "happening" in that "reality".
    Last edited by bakxierboxer; 09-24-2008 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    bakxierboxer, is this "mu" the same as in "mou si zi" (move/play the lion)?

There is another martial arts saying/term: "mou do lung cheung" (playing with sabres and spears) - 舞刀弄槍
    Possibly/probably..... I've never learned to speak or read Chinese, and my teachers seemed to like it that way.

Whether or not it's the equivalent of "Lion Dance" is probably dependent on just who the Lion Dancer is.... one of my teachers had a habit of moving the Lion Head so hard that he inevitably broke it.

clf vs boxing punches

My first (Bak Sing) CLF teacher liked to emphasize "side power" when using chaap cheui. In this method the chaap comes from the lead hand using waist turning and "coiling energy" from the back foot. The whole body is launched at the opponent as he prepares to strike, ideally "breaking his horse" with hip and leg contact. The chaap makes contact as the body returns to a fully side-on position which momentarily reduces the operator's exposed targets.

An earlier mention in this thread about the different kinds of stability used in boxing and CLF reminded me that in old-time boxing matches trips, takedowns and throws were frequent and a normal part of the game. But it looks to me as if western boxing has always shown a preference for mobility over standing stability.

My personal take is that the low, flat-footed stances such as the crashing horse technique described above serves two purposes: it stabilizes the body for executing takedown moves and it concentrates mass for power strikes. A boxer can also launch his mass forward from a more upright position, but (correct me if I'm wrong, boxers) the back foot tends to be used as a stable launch pad and does not slide with the strike as in CLF.

jd
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

Steeeve...what's up with that?

Um....okay.

Yes, Alice Cooper still rocks.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

ummmm I post it at the wrong place ...sorry about that i mean the video of Uncle Alice

Steeeve

"Uncle Alice"

LOL

No need to apologize except that it wasn't one of his best moments.

jd

jdhowland

The power chop! I was initially and primarily trained in that version, although now I am more ambidextrous.

I agree with your analysis of the boxer's stance...as a general rule. I have seen some unorthodox boxers, but in a nut shell I agree re: their stance. I watched one boxer fight from a side stance and his opponent obviously wasn't too sure where to target or how to adapt to the unorthodox stance.

I disagree re: the low, flat-footed stances such as the crashing horse technique ..not that I call it that, nor use it in that regard; but ours is not flat-footed per se. The lead leg is, whether in ding ji or sai ping ma but the power leg is not. This allows for some very fast footwork in combination with a lower centre of gravity to bring forth stable power.

nospam
    bak hsing kwoon
    佛家

footwork

Quote Originally Posted by nospam View Post
    I disagree re: [I]the low, flat-footed stances such as the crashing horse technique [/I

Of course, you are right about the footwork. Without citing him i was echoing Hebrew Hammer's reference to "flat feet." Many boxers spend a lot of time up on the balls of their feet. Compared to them CLF practitioners have more "sole." The front foot is frequently used to hold onto the real estate to jam or lock the opponent's leg while the rear leg, as you say, is less rooted--the heel may raise as in gwai mah.

Even the front foot technique is not simply a flat base. A basic technique i teach is to land on the front heel, then distribute weight to the front of the foot while turning it in and pulling the rest of the body with it. This adds to the inertia already developed by the back leg and helps to accelerate one's mass even after the front foot is on the ground. Training for this involves pulling the body forward with the strength of the turning lead foot only while keeping mass evenly distributed between the feet. This works on a smooth surface; i've never seen anyone manage it on a high friction surface.

Thanks for getting the thread back on track.

jd

..yes. We call that a shuffle step.

nospam.
    Bah Hsing Kwoon
    佛家

Just give opinion

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=BRnQSY...eature=related

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=2tzGD5...eature=related

a arms weight around 15 lbs ...F= ma .....

CLF punch are very powerful .....with loose arm...no tension Relax

System is a joke . . . .

Infrezeal

Do U try the Systema ? I mean do you try a seminar or do you u play with a systema practitionner.....a senior one ?

Steeeve

Quote Originally Posted by Steeeve View Post
    Infrezeal

Do U try the Systema ? I mean do you try a seminar or do you u play with a systema practitionner.....a senior one ?

Steeeve
    I've seen enough of their material.

No-touch knockouts? Gun strippings? Yeah, RBSD-related combative stuff. . .

..looked a lil ..off to me. But wtf do I care.

nospam
    bak hsing kwoon
    佛家