Thread: Traditional Chop Suey

Threaded View

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com

Traditional Chop Suey

If you consider yourself a Traditionalist in terms of TCMA, then what are your opinions of people who add things, techniques, or methods, or different ways of performing the same technique, garnered from other systems?

If you do Hung-Ga,or Choy Li Fut, and see a Hop=Ga guy doing his punches differently, and you adopt that into your training and your forms, are you "flavoring" your Gung-Fu, or tainting it?
    If you see a system like Muay Thai throw their roundhouse, and you like that particular tool, are you bastidizing your art by adding it into your system?

I know some JKD guys like to say,"I'm using a savate kick, into a kali destruction, into a wing chun trap, into a silat lock...."
    Could you just as well say, 'I'm using a (your style here)kick, into a destruction...etc?"
    How is it different?
    Now, there will always be exceptions-people who make up their own styles from moves they have seen in movies, or tournaments, and are only mimicking, and trying to appear as if what they are doing is TCMA-we've all seen them.
    Ah, but where is the line drawn?

ok, this seems controversal enough to go a few pages....
    Let's see what happens.
    Last edited by TenTigers; 09-08-2008 at 02:59 AM.