Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Think fast

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    then stop doubting...
    i train in the best school there is... it's called life and nature is my teacher...
    I hope Nature is also your doctor and insurance agent.

interesting... sub-par is below par... and that is more beneficial than being par; don't you golf?
    sub�par
    ADJECTIVE:
    Not measuring up to traditional standards of performance, value, or production.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    I hope Nature is also your doctor and insurance agent.
    of course it is... laughter and sunlight are by far the best medicines.
    Not measuring up to traditional standards of performance, value, or production.
    who said anything about adhering to traditional standards...

tit's the state of mind that dictates how you train...
    True that.

i train in the best school there is... it's called life and nature is my teacher...
    This is going a little too far. Sounds cool, but...

Plenty of guys think they know something and don't. Many people think they're hard and they don't know what hard is until they look into the eyes of a killer. There's a difference.

I'm not a killer and I know it. So I train real f@(king hard.

Shaolin

Wudang

MMA

I would choose one of these three. With the knowledge I am training for 8 months with the goal to defend myself at the end of the training. I think that the teachers at any of these locations would train you accordingly to your goal. Likely putting you in the sanshou training right away, skipping forms, for the MMA school, we know its all fighting.

I dont know if the shaolin or the wudang temple would even except me for training knowing i would be there ONLY for strictly fight training. If they were to except me knowing in 8 months I would be fighting....who knows. Chances are you would be turned away anyhow. But i do know shaolin has sanshou training, ill assume that wudang does as well. So it would be straight to the fight training.

to fight in UFC uh.....you need MMA training. Since its MMA. pretty simple on that one. But i dont expect ANYONE to win UFC championship with only 8 months of MMA training. not gonna happen.

To fight in a bar or in your home, I dont think you need mma training. Bars and homes have weapons. Since I'm not picking the fight you can be rest assured I WILL use a weapon if one is handy and I can get to it. in a bar scenario, unless you get blindsided you probably have a bottle or glass already in your hand, thus already armed, probably in a chair or stool too, and if you do get blindsided your finished regarldess of your training, cuz we all get KO from a sucker punch just as easy from behind.... Or if i can get my knife into play.....for these situations I would probably be fine training in just boxing or kickboxing, but since I use my legs boxing is an out because I will kick given an opportunity.

but then again im also the type of guy that will stab you or shoot you given the opportunity if you attack me for no reason. IMO people that are attacking me without cause deserve no better than a large wound.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post
    This is going a little too far.
    why so? everything man accomplishes is derived from the fundementual laws of nature... everything from physics to genetic engineering... nature is the supreme teacher of all.

Sounds cool, but...
    it sounds cool because it is cool...
    Plenty of guys think they know something and don't.
    and then again plenty of people do know something.

Many people think they're hard and they don't know what hard is until they look into the eyes of a killer.
    hard and soft is an illusion...
    There's a difference.
    yeah... one is real, the other is not.
    I'm not a killer and I know it.
    i am a killer and i understand it.
    So I train real f@(king hard.
    i train at a natural pace.

The Rocky IV syndrom

You guys remember Rocky IV right? He watched his best friend and once rival get killed in the ring by a better fighter. He decides to go up against this great fighter and he travels to his challengers own ground and trains in the dead of winter at some farm in the middle of nowhere and then goes to face his opponent and he WINS!!! Yayyyyyy he wins he wins.

Now flash to this question that Ray Pina asked of us here. So if you suffer from Rocky IV syndrom in that you need a place to REALLY train and to REALLY prepare for the fight of your life, where would you go? Well i cant think of a better place that at Gunneddownatrocity's pad.
    No seriously, thats where id go. Besides, after a hard day of training you get to sleep with the finest stock of grandmothers that GDA has to offer. No-one can resist a good Gummin' after a hard day of punchin and kickin. (enter the Koolaid man bustin through the wall "OH YEAHHH!!! )))

Peas,,TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Quote Originally Posted by The Willow Sword View Post
    You guys remember Rocky IV right? He watched his best friend and once rival get killed in the ring by a better fighter. He decides to go up against this great fighter and he travels to his challengers own ground and trains in the dead of winter at some farm in the middle of nowhere and then goes to face his opponent and he WINS!!! Yayyyyyy he wins he wins.

Now flash to this question that Ray Pina asked of us here. So if you suffer from Rocky IV syndrom in that you need a place to REALLY train and to REALLY prepare for the fight of your life, where would you go? Well i cant think of a better place that at Gunneddownatrocity's pad.
    No seriously, thats where id go. Besides, after a hard day of training you get to sleep with the finest stock of grandmothers that GDA has to offer. No-one can resist a good Gummin' after a hard day of punchin and kickin. (enter the Koolaid man bustin through the wall "OH YEAHHH!!! )))

Peas,,TWS
    This post is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by The Willow Sword View Post
    Besides, after a hard day of training you get to sleep with the finest stock of grandmothers that GDA has to offer. No-one can resist a good Gummin' after a hard day of punchin and kickin. (enter the Koolaid man bustin through the wall "OH YEAHHH!!! )))

Peas,,TWS
    i maintain a strictly polygrip free training facility.

plus i dvr mammas family. i know vicki lawrence wasn't really old, but as long as she wore that wig i'd hit it like the fist of an angry god.
    where's my beer?

??

This thread is a joke right?

8 months?

Boxing?
    "Siezing oppurtunities causes them to multiply" Sun Tze

Quote Originally Posted by iron_leg_dave View Post
    This thread is a joke right?

8 months?

Boxing?
    A year ago I would have laughed Ray Pina to death......I thought he was a massive troll.

However, he took his dumps (beatings) on the chin and i think he now speaks a lot of sense.

It's a fair question.... What gives quickest results in today's environment??

IMHO....it's the MMA gym.

And its sad to say that I come from a solid TCMA background. In the last 4-5 years I have more or less abandoned my traditional training because i felt it was adding nothing to my practical skills.

Paul
    "We had a thing to settle so I did him"
    Tamai, 43, was quoted by Police as saying.

You have to face your ultimate empty hand combative experience.... fighting for the light heavy weight UFC belt... or facing of against an athletic man slightly larger than yourself in a bar... or fending off an unarmed robbery by a sketchy looking dude who's slightly shorter and narrower than you but wearing a hoody.

You have zero training. You have eight months to prepare (money is not a factor and you have no other commitments/responsibilities) but can only train at one place. Which will it be?

The Wudang Temple

The Shaolin Temple

The boxing gym under the elevated train

The third floor kickboxing gym

The mixed martial arts gym on the outskirts of town
    oops, I was going to say to learn some grappling and shuai jiao.

8 months may not be enough to improve on punches and kicks.

if the opponent is bigger, my punches and kicks probably would not knock him out.

but I may get close, and shuai him or learn some shuai and be good at them in 8 months,

I have to say, I'm enjoying our conversation and I agree with a lot of what you say. I can say life, nature or the Tao has taught me the most important lessons, things hard to explain but that have been imparted to me on a personal level.

With that said I have never taken a human life and I hope I never do. I know killers. I don't judge it. In the instances I can say the people were truly paying people back for real attempts on their life.

I don't know you. I don't know if you're being honest, and if so if it was in war or on the streets or whatever. But I respect your mind so far. And peace be with you.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix-eye View Post
    A year ago I would have laughed Ray Pina to death......I thought he was a massive troll.

However, he took his dumps (beatings) on the chin and i think he now speaks a lot of sense.

It's a fair question.... What gives quickest results in today's environment??

IMHO....it's the MMA gym.

And its sad to say that I come from a solid TCMA background. In the last 4-5 years I have more or less abandoned my traditional training because i felt it was adding nothing to my practical skills.

Paul
    Fair post.

The question is old and cheesy however which is why I was surprised that Ray was asking it. Unfortunately he took it as insulting.

And to you Ray, don't forget some of us came out of rigid traditionalism and took our beatings way before you... before you start with the 'what have you been doing' crap right back at me! I can post at work so that means nothing either.

OK, so for an answer of course it's MMA or boxing, though I don't know anything about the wudang training regime.

Quote Originally Posted by uki
    OK, I'm gonna bite. What are you talking about? Have you killed people? A person? Cos killing animals and fish just ain't the same.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

I can say life, nature or the Tao has taught me the most important lessons, things hard to explain but that have been imparted to me on a personal level.
    the beauty of the way...
    With that said I have never taken a human life and I hope I never do. I know killers. I don't judge it. In the instances I can say the people were truly paying people back for real attempts on their life.
    don't get confused... killing and murder are two different concepts... one is justified, the other is not.
    I don't know you. I don't know if you're being honest, and if so if it was in war or on the streets or whatever. But I respect your mind so far. And peace be with you.
    it's a mentality... if you program yourself to believe you can't, or hope to don't, or whatever when it comes to the act of killing... it may be a fatal flaw... so it is easier to tell yourself that you can kill, without hesitation or remorse if the situation arises. with that being said it is safe to say that i am a killer who hasn't killed... but will if i have to. from another angle, i believe in re-incarnation and rebirth... the whole bodhisattva concept and all... so for me, killing is no big moral or spiritual stumbling block, it's just part of life.