Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Public Workshop – Dayton, OH Oct 11th, 2008

Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Public Workshop – Dayton, OH Oct 11th, 2008

Presented by Grand Master Garrett Gee, 8th Generation Inheritor
    October 11th, 2008

Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Long Bridge Fighting Methods

Even though Wing Chun is known for close-quarter fighting skills, every complete system must be able to deal with all ranges. This will be the first time Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Long Range Fighting Techniques will be revealed to the public. There are hundreds of techniques to bridge the gap in the long range, but once you understand the key concepts – you’ll see there are really only three possibilities.

Through this workshop,
    • You’ll know how Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun operates in long ranges.
    • You’ll see how it is possible to handle long range attacks without learning separate martial arts.
    • You’ll train how to enter an opponent’s bridge efficiently and safely.

Schedule of Events:
    By-invitation only activities on Friday and Sunday
    Saturday: Public Workshop 10a-5p with a dinner to follow

Cost
    For the workshop: $150 for regular members, $350 for non-members
    For dinner: $20 per person, must pre-register and pay in advance

Come to this historical workshop – and get a tour of the Ving Tsun Museum. We’ll take care of lodging for anyone coming in from out of town so you can save some $$$ on hotels.

Call 937-231-6485 M-F, after 5p EST to register.

In precisely what way will it be a "historical workshop"?

historical
    Adjective
    1. occurring in the past
    2. describing or representing situations or people that existed in the past: a historical novel
    3. belonging to or typical of the study of history: historical perspective

I had thought it might have been the first public workshop on HFYWCK but a quick Google search suggests there have been previous ones. If it was the 1st ever public workshop I think it would qualify as historic within WCK circles - even for an event scheduled in the future.

I've been to one of Garrett Gee's workshops before. From what I understand, he works hard to cover new material at every workshop. I guess his marketing people see this is an opportunity to label every workshop a "historic"[al] one. All I can say is, Garrett Gee is not his marketing machine.

I really enjoyed the workshop I went to. It seemed a bit pricey, especially considering I had to drive from Canada to get there, but the VTM was VERY courteous and accomodating, with Benny Meng and Richard Loewenhagen going out of their way to make my trip worthwhile, which in the end it really was, so the price was fair.

If you can go, I recommend it. If you DO go, I recommend going with an open mind, as a student rather than as an opponent. It's more fun, more rewarding, and maybe even a bit more enlightening. When I went, there were a bunch of other lineage practitioners who seemed intent on arguing every point that Garrett made. I still don't understand why they came to the workshop. Why pay a fee just to argue? Silly rabbits.

Also, if your current club has any hangups about you learning anything outside the club, and you want to keep training with them (though goodness knows why you'd want to,) make sure you don't mention that you're going or have gone to the workshop. It's because of one of these workshops that my relationship with my first club (my Sifu and Sigung in particular) came to an ugly end, with my Sigung actually walking out of the front of his Kwoon, facing Dayton Ohio, shaking his fist in the air and screaming "F@ck You, Benny Meng!" Just a warning.

One last opinion: Since Garrett Gee is a direct ancestor of the chinese philosopher Zhu Xi, I am of the opinion that Zhu Xi's philosophies play a major role in influencing Garrett Gee's methodologies. Not a big deal, really, since China as a whole was influenced by Zhu Xi, but the whole family connection might make Zhu Xi's teachings a bit more prominent in this case. Knowing what Zhu Xi was all about may actually help in understanding Garrett Gee's HFY methodology. Just my opinion, though.
    Last edited by Xiao3 Meng4; 09-08-2008 at 11:30 AM.
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao3 Meng4 View Post
    It's because of one of these workshops that my relationship with my first club (my Sifu and Sigung in particular) came to an ugly end, with my Sigung actually walking out of the front of his Kwoon, facing Dayton Ohio, shaking his fist in the air and screaming "F@ck You, Benny Meng!" Just a warning
    Wow, that sounds rather extreme!

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    Wow, that sounds rather extreme!
    It was an eye opener, to say the least.
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

Within the Martial Arts there is a culture. All of a certain mind set. Jealousy, greed for money or fame, or both seem to dominate. People that respond to things in that manner are not mature enough to be trusted with a serious MA skill and should not be teaching. In order to teach one should also be able to instill certain other concepts within the art. Tolerance, quite self confidence, such things as go to making a well rounded individual. If one does not possess these traits they can not hope to teach them. These are things that a teacher needs to scan for when talking with a potential student, not how much money he is able to pay for instruction. I am guessing that there are schools that will except anyone as long as they pay in advance. One should know the character of anyone that they give their WC to. Or sell it to if you will.
    MA are a great big going business that brings in large sums of money to the top individuals.

Chiang

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    One should know the character of anyone that they give their WC to. Or sell it to if you will.
    "People pay to learn. Teachers teach for the love of teaching. People do not learn from Teachers, 'students' do."

I have nothing against anyone out there who makes a living 'teaching/selling' their chosen Art. Each to their own.

BUT I agree with the idea that a teacher knows the character of a student prior to teaching 'certain things' to. By then, I guess the teacher would NOT be selling the art at all, as fme no fee for time is requested it's more of a personal 'investment'!?

I would welcome someone like Gee Sifu or HFY to London, as I have rarely had the opportunity to exchange ideas and training methods with other well known players. From what and who I have seen I find the HFY approach quite refreshing and similar to my own background.

I'ts always better to assess an individual when you meet in person. Especially in this internet driven information age!! And I've still to meet many 'famous' practitioners/sifus/masters!

One last opinion: Since Garrett Gee is a direct ancestor of the chinese philosopher Zhu Xi, I am of the opinion that Zhu Xi's philosophies play a major role in influencing Garrett Gee's methodologies.
    imo ancestral links are great if you have truly studied with family. Otherwise, it's all potentially just marketing and promotions and something the western world is all too familiar with in Wing Chun circles. If this link is so evident in Gee Sifus teaching, then why name a system/style HFY? Would make more sense to be Gee Gar?
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    imo ancestral links are great if you have truly studied with family. Otherwise, it's all potentially just marketing and promotions and something the western world is all too familiar with in Wing Chun circles. If this link is so evident in Gee Sifus teaching, then why name a system/style HFY? Would make more sense to be Gee Gar?
    I'm referring to the way he talks about HFY content, not the content itself.
    I could be completely wrong, anyway, since it's only my opinion.

Regardless, his workshop was worth it, and I had no idea who Zhu Xi was at the time.

CSP

I've been to one of Garrett Gee's workshops before. From what I understand, he works hard to cover new material at every workshop. I guess his marketing people see this is an opportunity to label every workshop a "historic"[al] one. All I can say is, Garrett Gee is not his marketing machine.

I really enjoyed the workshop I went to. It seemed a bit pricey, especially considering I had to drive from Canada to get there, but the VTM was VERY courteous and accomodating, with Benny Meng and Richard Loewenhagen going out of their way to make my trip worthwhile, which in the end it really was, so the price was fair.

If you can go, I recommend it. If you DO go, I recommend going with an open mind, as a student rather than as an opponent. It's more fun, more rewarding, and maybe even a bit more enlightening. When I went, there were a bunch of other lineage practitioners who seemed intent on arguing every point that Garrett made. I still don't understand why they came to the workshop. Why pay a fee just to argue? Silly rabbits.

Also, if your current club has any hangups about you learning anything outside the club, and you want to keep training with them (though goodness knows why you'd want to,) make sure you don't mention that you're going or have gone to the workshop. It's because of one of these workshops that my relationship with my first club (my Sifu and Sigung in particular) came to an ugly end, with my Sigung actually walking out of the front of his Kwoon, facing Dayton Ohio, shaking his fist in the air and screaming "F@ck You, Benny Meng!" Just a warning.

One last opinion: Since Garrett Gee is a direct ancestor of the chinese philosopher Zhu Xi, I am of the opinion that Zhu Xi's philosophies play a major role in influencing Garrett Gee's methodologies. Not a big deal, really, since China as a whole was influenced by Zhu Xi, but the whole family connection might make Zhu Xi's teachings a bit more prominent in this case. Knowing what Zhu Xi was all about may actually help in understanding Garrett Gee's HFY methodology. Just my opinion, though.
    Thank you for taking the time to share with us your experiences at the HFY Workshop you attended. I am very pleased to hear that you feel your time and money was well spent.

I am sorry you had such a bad run in with your 1st Sifu and Sigung. But I assure you, this is not always the case. Fortunately, there are many Sifu's out there with an open mind, who encourage learning where ever one may find it.

I feel students should be encouraged to be active in their learning. Both inside and outside their kwoon. Be it questioning the application or validity of the technique they are learning. Or going out to another school altogether to see what is out there.

Best to you, and maybe we shall see you in SF some time.

Alex

I would welcome someone like Gee Sifu or HFY to London, as I have rarely had the opportunity to exchange ideas and training methods with other well known players. From what and who I have seen I find the HFY approach quite refreshing and similar to my own background.

I'ts always better to assess an individual when you meet in person. Especially in this internet driven information age!! And I've still to meet many 'famous' practitioners/sifus/masters!

Lonetiger108,

Thanks for your kind words. I will make a note to let you know the next time GM Gee is in Ireland for a workshop. Who knows, perhaps he will make a stop in London to.

On the subject of Zhu Xi and his link to HFY.

HFY is HFY... no matter how you teach it or learn it, you can not change or personalize the system.

Otherwise you have not truly have learned/taught HFY, but instead an interpretation of HFY.
    Last edited by duende; 09-09-2008 at 04:36 PM.

Hey Spencer, "Gee Gar" or "Chu Gar" has already been taken by the Southern Mantists!

It may have sounded like I was talking down to those that teach for money, but I really wasn't. Time is valuable. I once had a friend that taught a form of Gung Fu, and he told me that he charged his students a great deal of money. I asked why, and he said that nothing free is given due respect. I suspect that this is only partly true however. But then if you hand out a fist full of dollars you will not fail to show up for training. Made sense to me at the time. I had a young man, son of a good friend, beg me for months to teach him some WC. He seemed to be very sincere. On agreeing to instruct him, I told him that no matter what, he must show up on time as my time had value. He agreed. But, he missed the first meeting because he had a date. I realized that his social life was far more important to him and sent him on his way. Two young brothers came to me and asked the same. I told them I could not take them as students as I had 2 jobs. They said that one night a week would be just fine and that they would do anything I asked of them. I told them I could give them things that they could work on together during every night of the week and when their time with me came I could give them something else to practice. They were so impatient that they bought a book and were trying to start in the middle somewhere as they felt what they were learning so far was not important. I sent them on their way.
    As for Mr. Gee, I suspect that he and his organization are trying to standardize their form of WC. I think that this is not a bad idea either.

Quote Originally Posted by duende View Post
    Lonetiger108,

Thanks for your kind words. I will make a note to let you know the next time GM Gee is in Ireland for a workshop. Who knows, perhaps he will make a stop in London to.
    I'd be delighted to help out in any way with any Seminar, especially if Gee Sifu comes to London. The Academy is our coaching arm of our business at YYA where we do have some experience of hosting events like this too, albeit with non-wing chun and wing chun practitioners alike.

Hey Spencer, "Gee Gar" or "Chu Gar" has already been taken by the Southern Mantists!
    Taken? That makes me laugh! Who can 'take' your surname away?? I had many discussions with my own Sifu about what constitutes an individuals interpretation of a style and in essence the family name was often used back in the day to 'declare your honesty!'

I've always referred to most WCK I see as Ip Gar, Wong Gar, Goh Gar etc as I feel this represents the truth. It just sounds wierd with English Surnames lol! That's why 'Lewis/Devine Wing Chun' became 'The Yum Yeurng Academy'!

It may have sounded like I was talking down to those that teach for money, but I really wasn't.
    I for one didn't take it that way Chiang. I just felt your concerns as I too have wrestled with charging money in advance. Truth be told, renting space in London normally sucks up ALL if not MORE money than you receive from students so the Sifu is often out-of-pocket anyway! I've always leant towards the non-profit business models anyway, especially at the beginning.

Still, there is something to be said for high fees as it does (sometimes) instill a sense of seriousness in students. Seminars are a great medium to make a little profit and good luck to anyone who pursues that way forward imo. I wouldn't be a director of my own business if I thought otherwise.

Anyone wishing to 'work' with me are invited to view our 'business site' at www.y-y-a.co.uk where you can see from our archive the sort of events we have promoted since 2003...
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Taken? That makes me laugh! Who can 'take' your surname away?? I had many discussions with my own Sifu about what constitutes an individuals interpretation of a style and in essence the family name was often used back in the day to 'declare your honesty!'

I've always referred to most WCK I see as Ip Gar, Wong Gar, Goh Gar etc as I feel this represents the truth. It just sounds weird with English Surnames lol! That's why 'Lewis/Devine Wing Chun' became 'The Yum Yeurng Academy'!
    I don't mean that it is proprietary! Just that most people would already associate Chu Gar with Southern Mantis.

In the same way that "Hung Lau Choy Lee Mok" is associated with the 5 Guangdong fist families. If someone came along and started calling their Wing Chun "Hung Gar" then people would naturally assume it is the other Hung Gar.