Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Public Workshop – Dayton, OH Oct 11th, 2008

Greetings,

I would like to wish all the participants of GM Gee's upcoming workshop on Long Bridge Kiu Sau a long and fruitful weekend full of jam-packed training and learning. During GM Gee's last visit to AZ, we learned 6 months worth of information in 2.5 days.

I've no doubt that everyone will greatly benefit from this weekend's sessions. I can't wait to read the follow ups from the attendees!

Take care,
    Savi.
    World Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kung Fu Association

"Obey the natural laws and principles of the universe." ~ Grandmaster Garrett Gee

"Education which stops with efficiency may prove the greatest menace to society... We must remember intelligence is not enough. Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education.” ~ Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Hello,

Below is a review from the Ohio work shop, copied from hfy108.com.

Ned

Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Public Workshop
    Dayton, OH
    October 10-12, 2008

First, I would like to say thank you to Grand Master Gee for coming to Dayton in the Grand Master’s continued effort to share the treasure that is Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun. Grand Master Gee’s tireless efforts, dedication, and willingness to share are an example to all members and students in the Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun family of what it means to be a dedicated, life-long martial artist.

Second, I want to say thanks to everyone that traveled in from out of town: Michigan Instructor (Zach R.) and Michigan student (Abe O.), Rochester Instructor (Andy K.) and Rochester Student (Chad), Houston Instructor (Brad R.), Cincinnati Instructor (John L.), Centerville Instructors (Jeremy R and Melissa L.), and Richmond Student (Rose).

Congratulations to Leon D. and Abe O. on their acceptance into the HFY Instructor’s Program. Grand Master Gee interviewed a total of seven applicants: two were accepted and two are committed to join before next March.

Third, a brief overview of the workshop:

GM Gee arrived in Dayton ~10:30p on Thursday night. After a late dinner, we went to my home and continued to have Kung Fu life, discussing martial art history and culture (including secret societies), and finished with topics dealing with spiritual cultivation – all through the lens of HFYWC. We were up until 6a Friday morning.

The whole weekend was geared towards Instructor level material, focused on key details and communicating the system clearly to students.

Friday morning started at 9:30a with a brunch, and we continued the discussion from the previous night. Training started at 2:30p and concluded around 7p. The primary focus for this workshop was Cheung Kiu Saam Jin Kiu Sau, and Friday was primarily on training the Cheung Kiu on the Wooden Dummy. Significant time was put into everyone gaining actual, hands-on experience with the dummy and clarifying technical and conceptual details. After a dinner buffet, everyone came to my home for more discussion and personal interaction with the Grand Master and each other. During the course of the night, the Midwest HFY representatives discussed organizational matters among each other. Discussions continued until 3a.

Saturday, the workshop started ~9:30a and ran until 5~:30p. We had a full house of participants from Beginners to Instructors and Disciples. Personally, I have been through the Cheung Kiu Kiu Sau training several times in the past – but as I always say: GM Gee never repeats himself in the same way. New concepts and additional details were revealed throughout this weekend. Some of the new concepts included “One Method, Three Focus”; the connection from Inside/Outside the Box to Deui Ying/Jeui Ying to Heaven, Human, Earth; and the most significant: the four timeframes being introduced and the terms standardized. Saturday concluded with a dinner and an informal celebration of the 10th year of my meeting Grand Master Gee for the first time. I’m looking forward to many more 10 year anniversaries with the Hung Fa Yi family in the decades to come. After dinner, many of the seniors and regular students were invited back to my house and we discussed everything from politics to religion. The main topic GM Gee covered was how it’s possible for a Buddhist monk such as a Shaolin disciple practice the art of war, and the reality of martial art training. To summarize the discussion, “if I hurt someone or kill someone in the reality of combat, it’s not my intent or training or a personal agenda. It’s not “I” that kills, “it” kills.” Some members understood and some didn’t. The evening ended around 2a.

Sunday’s training started ~9:30a. GM Gee reviewed the Cheung Kiu Saam Jin Faat, using one technique to showcase the multi-faceted development and training format through four seasons. After a great, but quick lunch the Grand Master left for the airport at 4:30p.

It was a great weekend of literally non-stop training, discussion, and fellowship.

In conclusion, I would like to thank Tae H., Karen T., David and George. They put in their own time and effort to clean the school. And I would like to thank my beautiful, lovely wife for her hospitality at home – making sure all our guests including the Grand Master and out-of-town Instructors were comfortable and had everything they needed for a safe and happy visit.

Sincerely,
    Benny Meng

PS – Best wishes for Grand Master Gee’s upcoming visit to China. There are plans to meet up with the Wing Chun community in China, and the future is looking very bright for the HFYWC family.

http://www.hfy108.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2639
    "Harmonizing one's true identity through Time, Space and Energy" - Hung Fa Yi Grandmaster Garrett Gee