Thread: Former UFC Champ Evan Tanner

Thumbs down Former UFC Champ Evan Tanner

Former UFC Champ Tanner Dead at 37
    Options: Email Article | Printer Friendly
    Tuesday, September 09, 2008
    by Loretta Hunt (lhunt@sherdog.com)

A body believed to be that of former UFC middleweight champion Evan Tanner was found Monday in the Palo Verde mountain area, the Imperial Valley Press has reported.

Calls to the Imperial Valley sheriff’s department and coroner’s office were not immediately returned.

Tanner, 37, had embarked on a camping trip some time around Sept. 2 into the desert-like region north of Brawley, Calif., approximately two and a half hours east of San Diego.

Sherdog.com has ascertained various unconfirmed reports that Tanner’s body was identified Monday and that relatives have been notified. An autopsy is said to be scheduled for Tuesday.

Deana Epperson, who grew up across the street from Tanner and his family in his hometown of Amarillo, Texas, said she'd been told that the fighter had texted friends in Oceanside as late as Thursday, telling them that he'd run out of water and gas for his motorcycle. Authorities were then contacted to try and locate the fighter.

Tanner had last been connected to the Compound Mixed Martial Arts & Fitness gym in Oceanside, Calif. Co-owner Claudia Ortega said she and her husband had reached out to Tanner a year ago after he had visited the facility. In recent weeks, Tanner had moved back to the area and visited the gym on a few occasions to train.

Ortega said Tanner told her he planned to “take a couple of trips,” then settle at the gym.

“He wanted to make it his home,” said Ortega. “”We really wanted to see him succeed in any way he could.”

Tanner was a self-made mixed martial arts standout. A two-time state championship wrestler in high school, he made his professional debut on a whim with the Unified Shoot Wrestling Federation in 1997 and defeated three opponents in one night -- including eventual UFC title challenger Paul Buentello -- in one night to win a heavyweight tournament. He would later defend the title against Pride Fighting Championships and UFC veteran Heath Herring, among others.

He enjoyed his greatest success in the UFC. Tanner won 10 of his first 12 fights with the promotion, losing only to Tito Ortiz and Rich Franklin. His UFC run was highlighted by his upset victory over David Terrell at UFC 51 in February 2005, as he stopped the Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt on strikes to capture the middleweight championship. Tanner relinquished the 185-pound crown in his rematch with Franklin at UFC 53 four months later, as he absorbed a brutal beating after knocking down the popular Ohioan with a right hand in the first round.

Tanner, the first American to win the Pancrase Neo-Blood tournament in Japan, lost four of his last five fights. He made his final appearance inside the Octagon at “The Ultimate Fighter 7” Finale in June, as he dropped a split decision to Kendall Grove in Las Vegas.

Tanner had recently started his own blog in association with SpikeTV.com.

“I've been sitting around this apartment, bored to tears, waiting on the last of the gear I need for the desert adventure to come in the mail. I've really been looking forward to getting out there,” wrote Tanner. “It seems some MMA websites have reported on the story, posting up that I might die out in the desert, or that it might be my greatest opponent yet, etc. Come on guys. This isn't a version of "Into the Wild". I'm not going out into the desert with a pair of shorts and a bowie knife, to try to live off the land. I'm going fully geared up, and I'm planning on having some fun.”

Brian Knapp contributed to this report.

Stolen from Sherdog.com
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

He had some serious money and alcohol problems. RIP.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

I love how the body isn't even confirmed as his and the article refers to him in the past tense.
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

Here's a semi-confirmation

not sure on the validity of the source tho - such is the web...
    Mixed Martial Arts Fighter Evan Tanner Found Dead in Desert
    pelechati

Former Middleweight Champion of the UFC Evan Tanner has been found dead in the desert.

A body was discovered in the Palo Verde mountain area on Monday, said Lt. George Moreno from Imperial County Sheriff's Department.

The Palo Verde mountain area is 60 miles northeast of Brawley.

Tanner, 37, has been missing since last weekend when his friends had not heard from him after countless phone calls and text messages. Evan recently wrote on his blog "I plan on going so deep into the desert, that any failure of my equipment, could cost me my life," wrote Tanner on the adventure in August. "I've been doing a great deal of research and study. I want to know all I can about where I'm going, and I want to make sure I have the best equipment."

Evan Tanner returned to the UFC in 2007 after many months off where he was battling Alochol addiction. He recently lossed to Yushin Okami and Kendall Grove.

Our Prayers go out to his family.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    He had some serious money and alcohol problems. RIP.
    Sadly, this is true. I think he himself said the purse from his last fight all was going to outstanding gambling debts.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

God bless him and his family, he seemed like a good guy.
    Bless you

RIP Brother, may your spirit enjoy the rest of your journey
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

It is true he did pass, sadly. I know someone who was friends with him.

more confirmation

Houston Chron seems like a fairly legitimate source.
    Former UFC champion Evan Tanner dies
    By JARED BARNES For the Chronicle
    Sept. 10, 2008, 12:09AM

Former UFC middleweight champion Evan Tanner died during an adventure trip in the desert of Palo Verde Valley, Calif. The exact cause of death is unknown.

The 37-year-old's body was recovered Monday after a three-day search by emergency personnel.

Temperatures were as high as 114 degrees at the time of the search.

Tanner's body was spotted from a U.S. Marine helicopter two miles from the campground where his belongings were found earlier.

According to Tanner's management Driving Force Sports, the fighter left for his trip Wednesday, Sept. 3, asking friends to call for help if he didn't return right away from what Tanner had described as a high-risk adventure.

Lt. George Moreno of the Imperial County Sheriff's Department said Tanner's friend Kyria McBrayer called emergency services Friday to report him missing.

Tanner, a mixed martial arts pioneer, was one of the first fighters to effectively combine the three arts of wrestling, Jiu Jitsu and Muay Thai in competition. His fighting career spanned more than 10 years with a 32-8 record.

Fans remember Tanner not only for his exciting fighting style, but for his candor and vagabond lifestyle. In his blog, Tanner documented his problems with gambling and alcohol that lead to him being homeless and destitute for months before he was able to overcome his demons and return to the cage thanks to a friend letting him sleep on his gym floor.

Tanner never sought fortune and fame through fighting; he looked at it as an opportunity for him to explore the world and himself. He fought from Japan to Las Vegas and used his pay days to fund his boating and motorcycle adventure trips.

A genuine free spirit whose life captured the romanticism of a Jack Kerouac novel, Tanner will always be remembered as a man who lived life on his terms and inspired all those around him.

"Believe in yourself. Believe in your own potential for greatness. Believe that you can change the world. It is something that is within each of us, "Evan Tanner wrote on his official MySpace site.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

epitaph

More on Tanner
    Death in the desert
    Former Ultimate Fighting champ lost solo battle with the elements
    By Jenifer Goodwin
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    September 28, 2008

Deep in the scorched hills of Imperial County, 10 miles from the nearest paved road, Evan Tanner parked his off-road motorcycle and set up camp. He unfolded a green cot and chair, set up a tarp for shade and took out sunscreen, a highlighter and a notebook.

Tanner, 37, was fit and tough. Six feet tall and 185 pounds, he was the 2005 middleweight champ for the Ultimate Fighting Championship, a brutal contest in which barefooted fighters pummel each other in chain-link cages.

Yet the Oceanside resident was no match for the desert. Soon after he arrived Sept. 3, during a week when temperatures hit 114 degrees, he began sending text messages to friends warning that he was running low on water. Rescuers found his body two miles from his camp Sept. 8.

Tanner's death hit hard among fans of Ultimate Fighting Championship, the leading promoter of mixed martial arts events that combine wrestling, kickboxing, boxing, judo and jiu-jitsu.

During the last several years, UFC had transformed itself from outlaw to a darling of cable TV and Las Vegas. Title matches draw as many as 20,000 spectators and 1 million pay-per-view buys. CBS recently started airing mixed martial arts matches during prime time.

Tanner was one of UFC's first stars, a former high school wrestler who taught himself mixed martial arts by watching videos.

In a sea of fighters with tough-guy personas, he was thoughtful and unassuming, a voracious reader who compiled lists of his favorite books (“Pride and Prejudice,” “The Tao of Pooh” and “David Copperfield”), and blogged about his struggles with depression and alcohol, and his search for his place in the world.

After his death, more than 100,000 watched a YouTube tribute video, thousands posted condolences, and Spike TV dedicated shows to him.

“He was very open with fans. He admitted his faults. He didn't make himself out to be something he wasn't,” said Dave Meltzer, editor in chief of the Wrestling Observer (wrestlingobserver.com) newsletter. “A lot of people could empathize with him as a real human being, rather than a TV superstar.”

Ferociously driven

No one pegged Tanner as a champion when he took up wrestling as a sop****re at Caprock High School in Amarillo, Texas. His first year, he lost as many matches as he won, recalled his former coach, Jerome Stewart, now superintendent of Canton Independent School District near Dallas.

But Tanner was ferociously driven, running five miles to and from school in addition to daily practice and weightlifting. He won the state championship his junior and senior years.

When Tanner was 14, his mother, who also battled depression, left him and his two siblings in the care of his stepfather, Rex Craig. Tanner's father lived out of state and rarely saw the teen, Craig said.

Craig, a Vietnam vet and carpenter who'd known Tanner since he was 3, said Tanner was popular at school but often wanted to be alone. “It just wasn't easy to get in and get close to him,” Craig said.

Egged on by friends, Tanner fought in his first mixed martial arts tournament in Amarillo in 1997. He won all three matches.

“After the first time, I never figured on fighting again,” Tanner told Wrestling Observer several months ago. “Then they offered me a shot at the title. I thought it would make a good story to tell to my kids.”

Craig, who'd been hoping Tanner might follow him into carpentry or finish college, saw his stepson fight only once. He left before the match ended, with a knot in his stomach and a lump in his throat.

“After Vietnam, I was soured on hurting each other,” he said. “I sure didn't want to see Evan hurt, and I sure didn't want to see him hurt someone else.”

Almost a superstar

In the early '90s, UFC was billed as a hardcore, no holds barred event with few rules. Promoters would pit fighters from various disciplines – a boxer against a kickboxer or a sumo wrestler – to see who would dominate.

The violent, dangerous reputation backfired. Politicians likened it to “human ****fighting.” Many state athletic commissions, including California's, refused to sanction it, although some promoters continued to sell tickets illegally to events.

Over the next decade, the sport evolved. In 1997, UFC established weight classes, banned head butts and made various other changes to satisfy state athletic commissions.

As the sport went mainstream, Tanner emerged as a UFC stand-out. On February 5, 2005, in front of a sold-out crowd of 12,000 at Las Vegas' Mandalay Bay Events Center, Tanner pounded David Terrell until the referee stopped the fight at 4:35. Tanner won the middleweight title.

“Tanner had a unique ability to read a book or watch a tape and implement it,” Meltzer said. “He was a very intelligent guy.”

Late that year, the California State Athletic Commission agreed to sanction mixed martial arts events.

The sport continued to explode in popularity, helped along by Spike TV's “The Ultimate Fighter,” a reality show. Tanner was under consideration to be hired as a Season 2 coach. But four months later, on June 4, he lost his title to Rich Franklin, who was hired instead.

“Evan just missed out on being a superstar,” Meltzer said. “Instead, Rich Franklin became the coach, got the commercial endorsements and became a superstar.”

A changing sport

During the next year, Tanner fought twice, winning one and losing one.

He didn't fight again for two years. In interviews and on his blog, he wrote about traveling the country on his Harley-Davidson motorcycle, working odd jobs and drinking too much.

Then last year, he showed up at the Compound Mixed Martial Arts & Fitness Gym in Oceanside. Owner Claudia Ortega recognized him immediately.

“He wasn't in a very good place at that point,” said Ortega, who detected signs of alcoholism. “He indicated he wanted to get back in the fight game.”

Tanner moved to Vegas to train and was soon under contract by the UFC.

In March, he lost his first comeback fight. In June, he was likely told if he didn't win the next fight, he would be dropped from the UFC roster, Meltzer said. He lost in a split decision.

Tanner was humiliated. Years of too much drinking had taken a toll on his body that nine months of intense training hadn't erased, he wrote.

“I know I looked really bad. I don't need to see it, or hear about it to know that ... ,” he wrote. “I obviously haven't been the same guy in the ring.”

Though Tanner was a natural competitor, the sport was rapidly changing. Top fighters now train year-round and get a cut of the pay-per-view revenue, bringing in from $2 million to $3 million for a big fight, Meltzer said.

Tanner, who'd made $38,000 when he won the middleweight title, wrote about visiting a doctor in Oregon to help him get “back on track,” and dedicating himself to fighting.

But first, he was going to spend several weeks in the desert, for a chance at solitude, to think and to test himself against the elements.

He assured worried fans that he'd researched his destination and had packed survival gear. He understood the danger. “Any failure of my equipment, might cost me my life.”

Calling for help

Police suspect Tanner set off from Oceanside Sept. 3, turned off Highway 78 near Palo Verde (population: 236) headed onto unpaved Milpitas Wash Road, then cut west into the rocky, trail-less desert, barren except for the odd mesquite tree or creosote bush.

The next day, he told friends in text messages that if they didn't hear from him by the next morning, they should call for help. He was near Clapp Spring and running out of gas and water.

They made the call when no further word came. Marine helicopters from Yuma Air Station and local search and rescue volunteers scoured the area.

Rescue crews found his camp, where he still had several pouches filled with water, that Sunday.

On Monday, they found his body two miles from camp and several miles from the spring. He was carrying a GPS device. There was an empty water pouch nearby.

Police suspect Tanner may have been hiking to or from Clapp Spring, which is described on the Bureau of Land Management's Web site as a palm oasis and permanent water source for wildlife. Locals say Clapp Spring is little more than a muddy patch that supports a few palm trees but does not have enough water to drink.

An autopsy ruled the cause of death was heat exhaustion. Police have ruled out suicide and foul play. The results of toxicology tests may take up to three months.

In the weeks after his death, Tanner's friends and family have been asking themselves why, if he was in trouble, he told them to delay in calling for help.

One clue might come from his blog. In July, he wrote about running out of gas in his 650-pound Harley and pushing it for two hours along a country road, semi trucks roaring by, until he found a gas station. He didn't call friends because he didn't want them to have to get out of bed to come get him.

On his final weekend in the desert, perhaps Tanner didn't want to force others to come to his rescue. Perhaps the heat was getting to him, and he wasn't making rational decisions. Or maybe the former UFC champ felt he could withstand even the harshest physical test.

“I think there's something to the idea that he wanted to go to the edge, just being out there and going to the extreme,” Meltzer said.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

It truly was too bad.
    All that he had accomplished was still not enough it seems.
    To become a world champion and being self taught, that in of itself is a huge accomplishment.
    A thirst for adventure is fine, but we all must be concious of our own limitations and respect nature, who does not play games.
    Truly sad.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !