Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AI and Artificial Life forms

Hybrid View

AI and Artificial Life forms

I'm curious, what's the daoist and buddhist viewpoints regarding artificial intelligence and created life forms? Do they consider them as living beings?

Give me the nano bio tech that will repair alls my broken things...
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Something tells me that Laozi and Zhuangzi didn't ever encounter either.

Probably not considered life forms because they don't have a soul or aren't conscious.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Life... is life.
    "Siezing oppurtunities causes them to multiply" Sun Tze

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    Probably not considered life forms because they don't have a soul or aren't conscious.

racist
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

according to buddhism, there is no soul.

and consciousness in artificial intelligence is a possibility in the future
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

What's a soul?

All parts of what we identify as "self" are subject to change. Every bit of what makes "me" what "I" am will have been replaced at least once between the moment of "my" birth and the time of "my" death. The experiences "I" experience are subject to change. The image that "my" ego creates of what "I" am transforms with each day. In all this change where is the soul?

When one questions the fundamental nature of consciousness and when one questions what, in fact, constitutes a soul in a universe where the only true constant is change it is easy enough to accept that artaficial beings are still beings. As beings they are bound in samsara and experience suffering. Thus a buddha would seek to also liberate AIs from suffering. Now there is an interesting thought puzzle...

That's one way to look at it.

Another is as a variation of the old koan about dogs having a buddha nature. The answer to which is a non-dualistic yes/no that is, in principle an argument that separating "dog" from "me" within the context of buddha nature is rather unimportant as that buddha nature is a universal aspect of reality.

As for reincarnation and karma: most of that was hindu ideas that snuck back into buddhism after the pirinirvana of gautama. The european tendency to indescriminately mix Buddhism and Hinduism during the 19th and 20th centuries and the tendency of western media to concentrate on Tibetan Buddhism (one of the most divergent branches of Buddhism) has led many to assume they are major fascets of the dharma.

Pure land buddhists believe that if one recites the name of Amitofo (Amitabha / Amida Buddha) in faith at least once they will experience a heavenly after-life that fast-tracks to pirinirvana. Other buddhists (particularly Theravadans) tend to question the idea of reincarnation at all. And karma... Karma suggests a universe with some sort of unchanging natural law - something that Buddhism should actually reject since one of the core tenents of the dharma is the impermanence of everything.
    Last edited by SimonM; 09-12-2008 at 10:27 AM.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    I'm curious, what's the daoist and buddhist viewpoints regarding artificial intelligence and created life forms?
    what is the difference between artificial life and created lifeforms? we biogenetically engineer corn, yet we still call it food. we artificially insemeninate cows, humans, and other species... even mankind is a created lifeform.
    Do they consider them as living beings?
    breathe air... be alive. this is a near borderline ridiculous question...
    Last edited by uki; 09-10-2008 at 06:05 PM.

remember cherry 2000?

it was like number 5 but with boobies.
    where's my beer?

Cherry 2000

Sex robots are the future!
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Sex Bots will lead to the decline of civilization!

We'd no longer have to put up with women.

who says thats a decline!

we can grow babies in a tube and then the wimminz wont talk back!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

came here to post the news piece in the next post

But I noticed this and gotta give props to MightyB for his sex bot foresight. Now we have a Sex Bots thread.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Sex Bots will lead to the decline of civilization!

We'd no longer have to put up with women.
    Okay, on to what I came here to post below...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart