Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shaolin Staff Forms

Quote Originally Posted by RenDaHai View Post
    On 'zui luohan' its not lost, I'm pleased to say Yong Wen in Kai feng still retains the traditional zui luohan quan, one of the 18 luohan forms. (he has about 4 of the 18). And as I'm sure you'll be pleased to hear its nothing like the modern zui quan performance.
    awesome. must see. most only know of it through written records, and the remnants found in sets like fengmogun and the laojia luohanquan/ daluohanquan sets.

right, modern zuiquan in shaolin is mostly created by the performers, and of course has nothing to do with zui luohan.

The student of De Yang performing - Shaohuogun is very nice LFJ

I saw alot of videos again today but nothing that looked like my book, I also saw a very cool video of - Shaolin 5 Tiger Sheep Staff by a Monk that looked almost like Liu Zhenhai ....
    http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTQyNjA2ODg=.html
    But maybe you already saw it !

I still wonder why Dr. Ting who bought this book hired a translator and used the words - enchanted and ferocious - for the book to publish it in english.

yeah, shi dejun... he's very good and knows some old stuff. thats from his giant video series.

as for chinese "translators", they're not always so fluent in english over there.

eugene,

the book you showed me says fēngmózhàng (疯魔杖), instead of fēngmógùn (疯魔棍).

zhàng (杖) is like a walking stick, obviously longer than a regular gùn (棍) in the pictures. gùn (棍) is the weapon these others sets use.

but the characters for "ferocious enchanted" fēngmó (疯魔) are the same "wild demon" characters i was talking about before. just the weapon is different.

Thank you very much LFJ,

i understand things alot better now because of its * thunder sounds and lightning and howling wind *

I must turn into a wild demon to get to know the set !

peace

Found this nice vid of staff basics and a form: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6CW9GEkJNo

Any idea who he is and what form specifically he's teaching?

thats master shi yongwen, showing the basics of shaolin stick methods.

hey B-Rad i have that video on my mobile, its a pritty cool video

does any one know from wich period the 36 cudgel staff is ?

@LFJ,

Hi LFJ,

I downloaded a movie Shaolin Temple from Jet Li for fun, but at 07:30 I saw the actors do a form that amazingly looks an awful lot like your You Tube movie : Fengmogun from Shi Yan Ming,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPo472CG4qk ( i believe the form stars here, and before it, they filmed the temple, check from 07:30... )

I checked if I could find Shi Yan Ming perhaps in this group, but I didnt see him

Could something like this be accepted as a source ? And is it true that it looks amazing much like fengmogun ?

The movie is from 1979, and they have good skills.

This question never came up if i didnt watch a movie lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6EJwpGlKxA

Can somebody give me a few infos on this set shown by Shi Guo Song ?

Kind regards,
    Xian

Hey Xian,

that is the eyebrow staff set. You should check out Shi Yong Wens Set, it looks almost the same, but I like Shi Yong Wens style more,

Shaolin Gunshu on you tube from Shi Yong Wen, you will see the set better,

I thing Shi Yong Wen is one of the best staff practinioners, and I myself, use this weapon the most of all.

Peace Eugene

Thank you Eugene,
    I will check it.
    Hm my question went more on if its a modern kind of Gunshu like the so called"refinded " sets. Personnally I would think its not, but I have not much knowledge about Shaolin Gung Fu.

Kind Regards,
    Xian

qimeigun

The eyebrow staff is called qimeigun (齊眉棍) in Mandarin. It literally means "level of eyebrow staff" but that's a bit of a mouthful.

I might be starting this form soon. One of my coaches, Yantuo, seems to want to teach it to us. I'm looking forward to that as I've never studied it. I'll have to get a thread specific to this going if it happens.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart