Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ouch!!! my hips

Unhappy ouch!!! my hips

allright, so how do i know if i have something majorly wrong with my hips??? i donw know if my hips are just extremely weak or there is an underlying problem somewhere?? i stretch pretty routinely but i get sharp pains when i throw side,roundhouse kicks, but am fairly limber with linear kicks such as crescents and axe.

how then do you address yourself the iron tiger?

Quote Originally Posted by irontiger1981 View Post
    allright, so how do i know if i have something majorly wrong with my hips??? i donw know if my hips are just extremely weak or there is an underlying problem somewhere?? i stretch pretty routinely but i get sharp pains when i throw side,roundhouse kicks, but am fairly limber with linear kicks such as crescents and axe.
    I have this same problem. Everyone told me I just had tight hips. I could do straight kicks, crescent kicks, push kicks, but my round kicks and side kicks were really not very useful.

It used to be very hard for me to kick anything above the waist. In fact, for a long long time, I never used my left leg for kicking because I just couldn't rotate the hip without sharp pains.

What helped me was doing lots of hip warm-up exercises like fire hydrants, body-weight squats, etc. It took me almost a solid year of doing hip exercises before I started to see the benefits.

This DVD has all the exercises I use:
    http://www.createspace.com/221649

Occassionally now when I use bad form I get the same pain, but at least now I throw round kicks at any level with decent power without any pain.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Look up some videos by Paul Zaichik on youtube. He adresses a lot of those issues and it helped me a lot. According his system most people don't have the right strength flexibility and start kicking too soon.

Quote Originally Posted by chaiwai View Post
    According his system most people don't have the right strength flexibility and start kicking too soon.
    almost like trying to walk before your legs are strong enough to support your body.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    I have this same problem. Everyone told me I just had tight hips. I could do straight kicks, crescent kicks, push kicks, but my round kicks and side kicks were really not very useful.

It used to be very hard for me to kick anything above the waist. In fact, for a long long time, I never used my left leg for kicking because I just couldn't rotate the hip without sharp pains.

What helped me was doing lots of hip warm-up exercises like fire hydrants, body-weight squats, etc. It took me almost a solid year of doing hip exercises before I started to see the benefits.

This DVD has all the exercises I use:
    http://www.createspace.com/221649

Occassionally now when I use bad form I get the same pain, but at least now I throw round kicks at any level with decent power without any pain.
    yeah thats what my sifu said to do, ill just keep truckin, i guess i expected results sooner namean??? thanks bro

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    how then do you address yourself the iron tiger?
    well actually the system does not call for high kicks hardly at all. you see a tiger doesnt really strike a lot with its rear feet, it does however use them to feed momentum and speed to the rest of his powerful body. its an in close system where we use a lot of clawing and blunt force trauma with upper body techniques. i want the high kicks for my self cuz lets face it htey look betta in forms and who doesnt wanna be able to kick someone in da head.namean??? but prolly not cuz ya sound like an internet ninja who spends way too much discrediting everyone else not enjoying the felllowship of martial arts that the forum provides.
    Last edited by irontiger1981; 09-14-2008 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by irontiger1981 View Post
    but prolly not cuz ya sound like an internet ninja who spends way too much discrediting everyone else not enjoying the felllowship of martial arts that the forum provides.
    sometimes the calm of the pond is just asking for a stone to be skipped across it's surface.

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    sometimes the calm of the pond is just asking for a stone to be skipped across it's surface.
    ok, thanks for the fotune cookie philosphy lesson. whichone of us is the pond and which one is the stone, cuz i can see it both ways pardner

"uki" is yet another of the many trolls this place attracts, he comes on like a bad kung fu movie... best to just IGNORE HIM COMPLETELY....
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    "uki" is yet another of the many trolls this place attracts, he comes on like a bad kung fu movie...
    yet you have a picture of an ape so people can indentify with your name... you wouldn't know a good movie from a T.V. commercial.
    best to just IGNORE HIM COMPLETELY....
    it's not wise to fear things you no nothing about... ever heard the story of the ugly little duckiling?

a good way to strengthen the hips is to sit on your sacrum only and draw circles in the air with your toes... big circles, small circles... do them as slow as you can.

p.s. metal rooster... lkfmdc tends to pride himself on the fact that he gets the most complaints of any other member... just a thought.

No Uki, Ross doesn't fear you.

It's just that your brand of hippy-dippy mix-and-match new age pseudo-orientalism bores us.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Try a foam roller before you stretch or kick. It really does help your flexibility.

Foam rollers offer many of the same benefits as a sports massage, without the big price tag.
    The foam roller not only stretches muscles and tendons but it also breaks down soft tissue adhesions and scar tissue. By using your own body weight and a cylindrical foam roller you can perform a self-massage or myofascial release, break up trigger points, and soothe tight fascia while increasing blood flow and circulation to the soft tissues.

How It Works
    The superficial fascia is a soft connective tissue located just below the skin. It wraps and connects the muscles, bones, nerves and blood vessels of the body. Together, muscle and fascia make up what is called the myofascia system. For various reasons including disuse, not enough stretching, or injuries, the fascia and the underlying muscle tissue can become stuck together. This is called an adhesion and it results in restricted muscle movement. It also causes pain, soreness and reduced flexibility or range of motion.
    Myofascial release is a body work technique in which a practitioner uses gentle, sustained pressure on the soft tissues while applying traction to the fascia. This technique results in softening and lengthening (release) of the fascia and breaking down scar tissue or adhesions between skin, muscles and bones.

Myofascial release has also been shown to relieve various muscle and joint pains such as IT band syndrome and shin splints as well as improving flexibility and range of motion.
    Foam rollers are inexpensive and with a bit of experimentation you can target just about any muscle group.
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

Quote Originally Posted by TaichiMantis View Post
    Try a foam roller before you stretch or kick. It really does help your flexibility.
    thanks, my man il definately give it a whirl ill try anything at this point!!