Thread: Training with bruised/broken ribs?

Training with bruised/broken ribs?

HI All,

So I had a mishap this weekend and caught a spinning back kick in the floater! Since I have either a broken, or severly bruised rib, what type of training can I still work on? I imagine some of the rest of you must have experienced this type of injury before. I'm thinking I'll be spending lots of time on my SLT, or maybe footwork, but definately NOT any kicks, as I can't lift my legs for the life of me...
    Also, any suggestions on how to sleep with said injury, laying down hurts like heck!

Thanks gang!
    "It is better to know thyself than show thyself"

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    sleeping is good, rolling over in the midle of the night-BAD!
    laughing is bad, coughing-very bad, sneezing-you need to hold onto furniture and brace yourself. And in less than two months, it's gone.
    Focus on SLT, footwork,shifting-you can never have enough of that. Body integration, structural alignment, especially maintained while stepping and shifting, is something many people neglect, and it is what will break down first when you are pressed.

I popped a rib last January. I slept in a chair for a couple of weeks, and getting out of bed hurt for probably another 8 to 10 weeks. I still have a lump where the rib dislocated, and it's tender if someone hits it just right.

Pretty much all you can do is rest it.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Masterkiller is correct.

There really isn't any workable way to strap it or protect it .. just train light and don't even think about sparring or any heavy contact.

Don't go too hard too early - I know from experience it is very easy to crack it again, and then you're back to square one.

Good luck
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Cracked Ribs

WY,
    I agree with all of the above. They are a fair cow to put up with, especially when you need to roll over in bed (lol ouch). From my experience try to keep mobile with small stretching and breathing exercises, but don't over do it. Once you feel that you are fully recovered stay away from any ground/grappling work for a further few weeks. I broke three ribs on my left side at judo and went back too early. I couldn't work out why I was still in trouble 6-8 weeks after the event. We discovered that the weight of a body on top of me was forcing the cracks open preventing them from healing properly. I stopped all ground work but kept up with the throwing (and being thrown) and was fine after another 4-6 weeks.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Museumtech View Post
    WY,
    I agree with all of the above. They are a fair cow to put up with, especially when you need to roll over in bed (lol ouch). From my experience try to keep mobile with small stretching and breathing exercises, but don't over do it. Once you feel that you are fully recovered stay away from any ground/grappling work for a further few weeks. I broke three ribs on my left side at judo and went back too early. I couldn't work out why I was still in trouble 6-8 weeks after the event. We discovered that the weight of a body on top of me was forcing the cracks open preventing them from healing properly. I stopped all ground work but kept up with the throwing (and being thrown) and was fine after another 4-6 weeks.

Peter
    Fair cow? Aussie slang is cool. . . .
    Basically they are "spot on". Resting and some Jow will do wonders.
    PR
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

see all of the above. Had a bust rib a few years ago. Dont do anything. If you can do stuff, then maybe its not as bad as you think. Mine hurt to breathe for a few weeks, and training was out full stop for a couple of months. What can you do? Rest, read, think, discuss. And like everyone else says, thats about it. Hope you get training again as soon as you 'can'. Your ribs will let you know when its time to play again.

Just re-read that and forgot about the sleeping. I remember that vividly, and can laugh about it now. You just get comfy and a bit sleepy, then you forget about it, roll the wrong way and OWW! you're wide awake again. The worst bit is the extra pain you get from gasping at the first pang, which just makes it worse. The chair thing just didn't work for me, but nice idea. My fuk sau on that side developed rather quicker than usual for a while after though. lol.

I tried...

Thanks to all for your input, I guess I knew there wasn't much I could do.... ****! Sleeping (or not, actually) is definately the worst part of this ordeal. Any good WC reads out there? I'll be back on my horse as soon as possible, down time like this blows chunk!
    "It is better to know thyself than show thyself"

ive happened to have busted my ribs twice. and yep, sleep if you can. lol

when even breathing hurts.....it can be hard to get any practice in at all.

after a few days of rest, and of going stir crazy stuck doing next to nothing i loaded my ribs with some really powerful thai liniment. It was so hot and cold and numb I was able to go through some really relaxed old man style taiji.

man you are just lucky (assuming your not) you arent in really cold weather.

nothing sucks more than broken ribs and shivering from the cold....

edit: realizing im in the WC forum. once you get around to it, get some really strong liniment and just do really relaxed old man style SLT
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.