Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu Restaurants & Bars

slightly ot - Jason Liao and Pokeology

Meet the Chef Who Says Kung Fu Saved His Life
    Pokeology owner Jason Liao on the life skills martial arts gave him and how novices can get started.
    By Beth Levine 3/17/2017 at 11:25am

Jason Liao as a youth in Houston.
    IMAGE: COURTESY OF JASON LIAO

AS A KID, I USED TO WATCH KUNG FU MOVIES WITH MY GRANDFATHER—you know, before Kill Bill brilliantly revived the genre. I remember thinking, wow—they move with such precision, such grace and they totally kick ass. So when I talked to the guys at Pokeology and found out owner and pokéologist Jason Liao is deeply versed in martial arts, I had to know more. He graciously agreed to sit down with me for some insight into his background to share advice for novices interested in learning about this time-honored craft.

Liao’s interest in martial arts started early, at the age of 9. His family tree had a lot of practitioners and he always felt a desire to learn how to fight. From the ages of 9 through 14, Jason started learning the particularly esteemed Shaolin kung fu, which traces its origins to the Shaolin monastery over 1,500 years ago.

Flash forward to college, and Liao was studying Chinese wrestling and training in North Carolina with the special forces at Fort Bragg. After some time spent in the restaurant scene here in Houston, Jason returned to studying under his original teacher, George Ling Hu. He calls Ling his sifu, a term of great respect used to describe one’s teacher as both a master of the art form and a father figure. When Liao isn’t cooking, he’s working on his craft—he focuses on bajiquan, a form of martial arts known for its emphasis on short, powerful strikes—at a nameless, nondescript studio in Bellaire.

George Ling Hu, Liao’s sifu in the Chinese martial art of bajiquan.
    IMAGE: JASON LIAO

I asked Liao how much he trains, and his answer was simple: “Always.” His advice for newbies focused on four main points for those interested in martial arts to focus on.

Make sure you are getting into martial arts with right mindset. You are learning a combat skill, so be respectful of that.

The most challenging aspect for new students is the mind/body connection. It’s about the cause and effect between what is going on mentally and the physical rigors of practice.

Try to find the right instructor—he emphasizes this strongly. The community can be a little insular, so don’t be afraid to ask around, use word of mouth and be discerning.

Understand your purpose. As Liao says, “You are going to get out of your practice, what you put into it. So know what you want to put into it.” Done right, martial arts practice is a lifestyle, not just a way to learn how to fight.

Liao says martial arts has provided him with an inner moral compass and a pathway to navigate life. I asked him what advice he would give that 14-year-old boy who wanted to fight. “Life comes full circle, so teenage Jason was necessary for current Jason,” he said. “Always persevere.”
    I've met Jason at Legends of Kung Fu.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Kung Fu Burger

For the next time you're in Germany...

Du hast mit deinem Clan einen Triumph zu feiern?
    Das 36th Chamber ist ein gemütliches Séparée mit einer
    flexiblen Tischordnung und bietet bis zu 18 Gästen Platz.

Do you wanna celebrate a Triumph with your Clan?
    The 36th Chamber is a cosy separated room with
    flexible seating for up to 18 guests.

Give us a shout:
    reservation@kungfu-burger.com
    031 352 36 36

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Slightly OT

But I felt I had to post this somewhere...

Dirty Chinese Restaurant video game's release cancelled after being slammed as racist
    Big-O-Tree Games 'would like to make a sincere and formal apology to the Chinese community'
    CBC News Posted: Oct 05, 2017 10:44 PM ET Last Updated: Oct 05, 2017 10:44 PM ET

Dirty Chinese Restaurant, a video game that included offensive and racist stereotypes, will not be released, its maker says. (Big-O-Tree Games)

A Toronto-area video game developer has opted not to release its game Dirty Chinese Restaurant after it was slammed as racist.

The developer Big-O-Tree Games made the announcement on its Facebook page Thursday, saying the game was "not created with an intentional interest of inflicting harm or malice against Chinese culture."

"After careful consideration and taking the time to listen to the public's opinion we have decided it's not in anyone's best interest to release Dirty Chinese Restaurant. We would like to make a sincere and formal apology to the Chinese community," the post read.

News of the game's upcoming release prompted an outcry from politicians and public officials ranging from Markham, Ont., Mayor Frank Scarpitti and Markham Unionville member of the legislature Michael Chan to Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne and New York congresswoman Grace Meng.

"I strongly condemn the Markham-based company that has created an inexcusably racist video game. I am appalled by its demeaning and offensive depictions of the Chinese community," Chan wrote in a statement last week.

The game's concept included players chasing after dogs and cats with a meat cleaver and running from immigration officials. The company said it would soon be made available on Apple and Android devices. An official release date hadn't been slated.

The company previously defended the game, saying it was simply satire.

"It has come to our attention that our small, independent game, Dirty Chinese Restaurant, has upset some people due to its content," it said. "Our game is mainly satire and comedy influenced by the classic politically incorrect shows we grew up watching, such as: South Park, All in the Family, Sanford & Son, Family Guy, Simpsons and Chappelle's Show. We also listen to Jay-Z."

On its website Thursday, the company said it would remove all marketing material related to the game from its social media "out of respect."

It also asked that the press "please respect our privacy at this time."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    if it weren't often true...

https://www.local10.com/news/dirty-d...or-second-time

this local station has this weekly series and I don't think I've ever NOT seen a Chinese restaurant on the weekly list.

I think I've seen a low end sushi place end up on it once. But, never a high end sushi or Japanese steakhouse.

and, of course, there are also plenty of other types of restaurants that make the list.

but, somehow, there is always at least one dirty chinese restaurant.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Kung Fu Burger

Sounds tasty...next time I'm in South Yarra...

Now Open: Kung Fu Burger Arrives in South Yarra
    Big burgers packed with Asian flavours on Chapel Street, with no tomato sauce or mustard in sight.

Photography: Pete Dillon

Published on 13 November 2017
    by KATE SHANASY

“Standard beef patties are about 150 grams,” says Truman Ng, who owns Kung Fu Burger with business partners Natalie Sam and Alvar Leung. The grass-fed beef patties at their new South Yarra burger joint weigh about 220 grams.

Apart from patty size, the flavours at this colourful new Chapel Street diner set it apart from other Melbourne burger spots: these are made with Chinese, Japanese, Korean and Thai cuisine in mind.

That means proteins including beef, chicken thigh, pork and tempura soft-shell crab seasoned with a Chinese five-spice blend placed inside dense, soft, white bread or black squid-ink buns. A vegetarian option uses a tofu patty with portobello mushroom.

“Our sauces are so important – we don’t use tomato or mustard,” says Ng. “Instead we have really flavoursome house-made relishes inspired by Chinese sweet-and-sour sauces, as well as Korean chilli, Thai herbs with lemongrass and ginger, and a yuzu-and-lime mayo for the crispy chicken burger.”

The menu also features Japanese takoyaki octopus balls; popcorn chicken seasoned with five-spice and Thai basil; and tacos.

“We’ve introduced the flavours of a Peking duck dish into our Peking pulled-pork taco and it’s really taken off with customers,” says Ng.

Ng had the idea for an Asian-style burger store while working at Sung’s Kitchen, a Mandarin restaurant near Queen Victoria Market.

“After a shift I’d get a late-night feed and the options at that hour were mostly greasy, cheesy American-style burgers,” says Ng. “One day I thought, ‘Why don’t I bring my expertise in Asian flavours to the burger and see what I can create?

“We’ve come up with all the flavour combinations and concepts ourselves with great help from Paul Zhao – the head chef at Crown’s fine-dining Japanese restaurant, Koko.”

Ng grew up and went to school in the area, so he’s familiar with Chapel Street’s late-night food offering.

“We love many of the local burger places, but believe our product is different,” he says. On Saturdays, Kung Fu Burger is open until 3am.

Elvin Tan designed the playful red and yellow 18-seat interior, which features a neon burger sign, banquette seating and a large graphic mural by local artist and illustrator Ning Xue. The restaurant’s logo pays homage to martial-arts film star Bruce Lee.

“Our heritage is from Hong Kong, so naturally we think Bruce Lee is the biggest legend,” says Sam.

“He was also the first man to merge different streams of martial arts together to create his own art in America,” adds Ng. “In a way, we’re imitating him by bringing Asian burgers to [Melbourne].”

Kung Fu Burger
    355 Chapel Street, South Yarra
    (03) 9043 3361

Hours:
    Mon to Thu 11.30am–10pm
    Fri 11.30–3.30am
    Sat 12pm–3.30am
    Sun 12pm–10pm
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Kung Fu Oriental Buffet

5th December
    "Our chicken is safe to eat" Kung Fu Oriental Buffet responds to pink chicken claims
    Sebastian Richards

A NEW Worcester restaurant has insisted that its chicken was not served raw - after customers complained that it was pink.

Kung Fu Oriental Buffet, which opened in Cathedral Square in November, has been forced to defend its satay chicken on skewers after complaints from visitors.

Sarah Walker 23, from Malvern, posted a picture on Facebook saying that the chicken was raw, but the oriental restaurant has said that the pink is caused by its cooking method.

Since posting on Facebook, Miss Walker’s claim has been shared more than 1,100 times – and consequently will have been seen by thousands more people.

Miss Walker, who attended the restaurant with her brother who is a chef, her fiancee and brother’s partner said her brother bit into what he believed was almost raw chicken.

She said: “We informed the waitress and she went over to the manager, pointed at us saying ‘they’re moaning about the food’.

“Manager came over, was not shocked at all, said he’d make us a fresh one, we couldn’t stay and eat after seeing that so we left.

“He did not take the food off the buffet and as we left people were still taking it off the buffet and putting it on their plates.

“We left watching children and other customers stack the same food on their plates. I am so so shocked and terrified.

“People need to be aware of this. I’ve made a Facebook post about it that’s gone viral.

“I couldn’t believe how many people said that they had a similar problem.”

However, a spokesman for the restaurant said the chicken was not raw.

He said: “We would like to express our sincere apology to all the confusions that have been aroused.

“Our chicken is properly and safely cooked, as all the cooking processes are strictly following the standard procedures.

“The chicken would first be marinated with 10+ ingredients and then fried in 138C oil for three minutes. After that, the chicken will be deep fried in 160C oil for another two minutes.

“Customers’ complaints of the pink chicken are because of the special marinating ingredients used for this dish (satay chicken on skewers).

“The chicken is marinated with over 10 different ingredients, including peanut butter, satay sauce, turmeric powder, chilli powder, garlic powder, sugar, curry powder, onion, taro, galangal, eggs, oil, self-raising flour, corn-flour, cheese powder.

“Those ingredients are the causes of the pink colour, therefore, although the chicken looks pink, it is properly cooked and safe to eat.”
    My first girlfriend was Sarah Walker. This isn't her obviously because she's less than half our age.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Ninja Cafe Kunoichi

Not quite a Kung Fu Restaurant, but next time you're in Japan and you want to do the ninja thing: Ninja Cafe Kunoichi

One-day ninja experience
    be taught by a real ninja
    8,000 JPY(120min)
    Options
    500JPY -
    The original costume is rent for free, but you may pay for renting additional items and take a photo looking like an actual ninja!

Sayaka Ohguri Profile
    With over 20 years of combat martial arts training, our licensed instructor will pass his wisdom and knowledge on to the next generation so that they may learn the traditional fighting techniques and ways of the ninja at our Kunoichi dojo in Shibuya.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

First forum review

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post

I must make a point to try this place out next time I'm near Redwood City.
    I finally got a chance to try this place yesterday. It was very good. It was authentic Sichuan style cuisine, with many nods to the standard American take on Chinese food. It has a complete menu including a decent vegetarian section with a wide selection of mock meats. They also offer brown rice. The walls are adorned with the White Garment Hall fighting monk murals from Shaolin Temple. That made me happy. There's also a nice trompe-l'œil mural on the back wall, which has a better facade than the front door actually, and that's probably where you'd park. I took my mom (who hates anything spicy) and my kid (who's not particularly into Chinese food but loves a good Mabo Doufu, which they do quite well) and we all enjoyed it. I will definitely go again the next time I'm in that 'hood.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Kung Fu BBQ

"Kung Fu" for a Korean BBQ place. I guess Taekwondo BBQ doesn't quite have the same ring to it.

Kung Fu BBQ: Cool name, good food
    January 25, 2018 / 7:00am / By Merry Thomas

Korean cuisine is one of the most delicious experiences you can have, especially when you have the opportunity to do a full Korean barbecue. While it can get quite expensive, if you have enough people with you it can cut the cost of the food considerably.

I have been to many Korean restaurants, and have even written about a couple, but I have never been to Kung Fu BBQ. A newer restaurant to the campus scene, Kung Fu BBQ offers a wide variety of food from grillable items to single serving dishes. I have been in the mood to try something new so I was looking forward to a trip there, though I was fearful that it would cost a painful amount of money that I currently do not possess (the holiday season was a hard one, folks).

Kung Fu BBQ, located in the former White Horse Inn, is set in a prime location. Students and community members can get to it easily and surprisingly the parking situation is not too bad, especially compared to virtually everywhere else on campus. You still have to pay, but I felt it was not a big deal.

The interior was nice and spacious. The lighting was what you would expect from a place that used to be a bar, but the darkness did not take away from the aesthetic. Overall, it seemed really relaxed. My friend and I were greeted and taken to our seats quickly. The staff seemed very friendly and attentive, and when they gave us our menu they explained what the most popular dishes were to aid our search.

My first impression was that there were so many options. I knew off the bat that since there were only two of us, we did not need to do the grilled food. The cost of serving two people was a little high and it would have been too much food. Even though it was a bit overwhelming in the beginning, eventually my friend decided on the rice cake with shredded pork, and I opted for the spicy noodles with beef and chili soup, both at the reasonable price of $8.99.

I was warned by my server that the dish I ordered was very spicy, but what can I say? I enjoy a little heat. That feeling of when the corners of your mouth are on fire and when your nose is a drippy mess are some of the many joys of spicy food.

Our food arrived promptly and it looked pretty darn great. The best part was that there was so much of it. The smell my noodle soup was both rich and inviting, and there was definitely no skimping on the beef. The broth was spicy, but not as hot as I was hoping it would be. The way the waiter made it sound I thought it would be face melting, but sadly it was nowhere near what I was expecting. Despite this, it was still very good.

The noodles had an excellent flavor, mostly because it absorbed all the flavors of the dish. Sometimes when you get a soup with noodles, the noodles themselves are a gross, sodden mess. This was not the case for these noodles; they were a little firm which is just what I like.

The beef was cooked really well, almost comparable to pot roast. It was beautifully tender and very juicy, but maybe cut a bit too large. It would have been more pleasant to have smaller pieces throughout the dish. Despite that, I thought it was seasoned really well with the chili. There was also this really interesting pickled vegetable that looked and tasted exactly like pickle relish. It was strange but oddly enough it did not taste out of place. Considering all of the components, the dish was not too complex, but definitely tasted good. It was very rich, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

The next dish also was a sizable amount. The rice cake with shredded pork looked amazing. There were a bunch of different vegetables like carrots, onions, and mushrooms, plenty of shredded pork, and it smelled heavenly.

I was expecting rice that was molded into a firm, cake like shape, but what I got was different. They were actually similar in size and shape of a sliced water chestnut, but the texture was something else. It was smooth and gelatin like, almost the texture of noodles in pad thai. It was an interesting contrast to the vegetables that were cooked to al dente. It was a good contrast that gave the dish a little more complexity.

The balance of the dish was interesting: I was expecting there to be a lot more spices, but it was pretty mild. That was not necessarily a bad thing because the flavors of the vegetables were able to stand on their own. The only disappointing aspect was the pork. The pork was good, but it was overpowered by all the other flavors. If the pork was seasoned a little more, it would have been better. The dish was also a bit too oily, possibly from the cooking oil. Despite this, it still was delicious.

Though I wish I had a chance to try the barbecue, I thought that the single serving food was well worth the price. With the good food and good atmosphere, I can see Kung Fu BBQ becoming a campus staple.

Kung Fu BBQ
    510 E John St, Champaign
    Tuesday-Sunday, 10:30 a.m. to 9 p.m.

All photos by Merry Thomas.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Restaurante Cooking Taichi

This place looks great but I wonder if the service is slow...

Cooking Taichi: A restaurant where Chinese cuisine builds community

By Richard Emblin -March 23, 2018 Photo: Richard Emblin
    “My wife almost divorced me when she heard I was going to open an authentic Chinese restaurant in Bogotá,” remarks Kenny Tsui jokingly, as we spin a Lazy Susan, decked with small plates of scallions and shrimp-filled dim sum.

Seated in one of the private dining rooms of a two story house-turned-fine dining establishment, Kenny recalls the “craziness” of setting up a restaurant in an Andean city where the few references to Chinese cuisine were fast food outlets with ubiquitous sounding names. “I remember the reaction of my friends when they realized the food they were eating was prepared by a Boyacence,” remarks Kenny, who was born in Barranquilla and professes to “love all Colombian food.”

The son of Chinese immigrants that ran a business in the Caribbean port city – hence his thick costeño accent – Kenny grew up in Hong Kong from the age of 16 before moving stateside years later where he started an import-export company. Returning regularly to Colombia for business, Kenny finally established himself in the capital with his own family back in the 90’s, when the country was facing difficult times.

But, even though, as Kenny states, “Colombia runs through my veins,” the entrepreneur did miss his other country’s cuisine, and a restaurant that didn’t have the words Imperial or Chop Suey in its name. In 2012, Cooking Taichi opened its doors, combining a catchy Western word with Eastern philosophy.

As a black belt in the martial arts of Wing Chun (his childhood teacher in Hong Kong, the grandmaster of Bruce Lee), Kenny is also the Chinese community’s most visible representative, having been appointed President of the Colombian-Chinese Association sixteen years ago.

“Everybody comes for me for help. And I cannot refuse. Chinese people don’t understand a word of Spanish, and they are often prey of scammers and hustlers,” he explains. “Recently, I helped a group of Chinese with food and board while they waited to be deported back to China.”

“I just can’t refuse, I try to help everybody. There was a woman who had been living here for 18 years, and Colombian authorities had been renewing her Resident Visa every year, and the last time, they didn’t want to renew it without having grounds,” he explains.

Kenny Tsui opened Cooking Taichi six years ago near the Parque 93.

As the Chinese community continues to grow in Bogotá, so too his mainland clientele that can order from a Mandarin-only menu, while local guests rely on the English-Spanish one. The difference between one and the other is not much, except for the degrees of spicy with which the food is prepared.

With Chinese New Year still being celebrated around the world, our Lazy Susan begins to turn. First up, spring rolls with sweet-and-sour sauce and fried dumplings. With these openers, Kenny’s six well-trained chefs begin to excite our senses, transporting us to Hong Kong through the ancient art of Chinese cooking.

Kenny is quick to point out that every item of furniture that adorns the restaurant, such as the stone inlaid wood cabinets, lacquered room shutters, and hanging lanterns originated in China. So too, the most important asset a Chinese restaurateur can have, chefs from different regions of a country where techniques and ingredients vary greatly.

Another dish that turns up at the center of our table are the prawns in garlic and chopped red peppers. They are outstanding with the right balance of spice versus flavor. All dishes are meant to be shared at Cooking Taichi, as is customary at a Chinese table.

Canton’s culinary landmarks include pork or prawn filled dim sum and steamed vegetables. Sichuan gives diners the spice, peppers, and stir-fry. But, don’t expect American-Chinese staples such as General Tso’s chicken at this establishment. Instead, as Kenny proudly states, the menu is as authentic as authentic comes, offering dishes from all the regions of China.

After a round of deep-fried crab won ton, we turn to the star of the meal – the signature Pekin roast duck, sliced in our presence by one of the chefs, and served-up with baskets of thin pancakes, Hoisin sauce, and julienne onions and cucumber. The duck, imported from Canada, must be ordered in advance as it takes up to five hours to roast, and as a ceremonial dish, it is to be shared with at least four dining companions. While the skin is served in thin pancakes, the remaining meat is later presented in bite size pieces with fried rice. The price for this succulent feast is $299,000 pesos.

Cooking Taichi is Kenny’s passion, and way to showcase the best of two countries. From the attentive Colombian service staff to the relaxed atmosphere in the main dining room, this restaurant feels like a home away from home.

If one has ever had the fortune to walk the streets of Wan Chai, Hong Kong’s bustling historic district, and sample the local food, then Cooking Taichi retains that old world charm, while doing its part as an honest ambassador of China’s culinary arts.

Restaurante Cooking Taichi

Cra 14 No.93-16.

Tel: 2569600 / 5304773.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

There's more to this story...

Come on now. A ninja restaurant makes pay offs? There's a great B movie plot, right there.

Next time I'm in Roseville, I should check this place out.

Roseville's Ninja Sushi pays off tax liens

[IMG]https://media.bizj.us/view/img/8192672/ninjasushi0111dm5006a*1200xx3892-2189-0-288.jpg[/IMG]
    Steve Kwon, owner of Ninja Sushi and Teriyaki, stands in front of the stage at his Roseville restaurant.
    DENNIS MCCOY | SACRAMENTO BUSINESS JOURNAL

By Mark Anderson – Staff Writer, Sacramento Business Journal
    2 hours ago

Ninja Sushi and Teriyaki Inc., a large downtown Roseville restaurant cited for unpaid back taxes last summer, has had a federal lien released as fully paid.

The business was formally released from the lien on March 13, according to federal records.

Ninja Sushi had been hit with two federal tax liens last July. One was a citation of $68,939 for unpaid federal unemployment taxes and the other was $152,496 for employee withholding. Business owner Steve Kwon said at the time his former bookkeeper didn’t fill out the right forms, so the restaurant didn’t pay the taxes. At that time, he said he set up a payment plan.

The restaurant has more than 80 employees. It fills a massive 11,000-square-foot space that includes a stage, and features live music.

Kwon moved Ninja Sushi into the space at 238 Vernon St. after renovating it in 2016. It was five times larger than Ninja Sushi's previous location on Pleasant Grove Boulevard.

Prior to its occupancy by Ninja Sushi, the space at 238 Vernon was briefly the location of Sammy’s Island Bar & Grill, a concept licensed from rocker Sammy Hagar. It opened in 2012, closed 14 months later and was briefly reopened in late 2014 by Hagar’s two sons. It closed for the second and final time in February 2015.

Ninja Sushi is rated with four out of five stars on Yelp, based on 549 reviews.
    We probably have enough Ninja restaurants to launch a separate indie Ninja restaurant thread by now. That still strikes me as an odd name for an eatery.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Fist of Curry

Asian AND Jamaican curries? This Kung Fu Restaurant is so Shaolin Rasta.

First Taste: Fist of Curry brings irreverent kung-fu fun to old Huron Room space
    Mark Kurlyandchik, Detroit Free Press Published 7:01 a.m. ET April 5, 2018

(Photo: Mark Kurlyandchik, Detroit Free Press)

A Kurosawa film plays on the bar's lone TV hanging above the painting of a clenched fist ostensibly belonging to Bruce Lee as I sip a cold Slovakian lager.

Dragonmead's Final Absolution is just $4 here, but I’m only waiting for carryout. There’s no need to go down that dark path, however good a deal it may be.

The place is decked out in ‘70s regalia -- all tan and mustard yellow and brown. I don’t recall any shag carpet, but it certainly wouldn't be out of place at Fist of Curry, where the aesthetic is decidedly disco-stoner conversion van.

It has been nearly two months since the folks who run Johnny Noodle King and Green Dot Stables — otherwise known as Inlaws Hospitality — quietly closed floundering seafood restaurant the Huron Room in southwest Detroit and revived it just three days later as a ‘70s-themed globetrotting curry slinger with a kung-fu kick.

Fist of Curry — a pun on the title of the classic Bruce Lee film "Fist of Fury" — launched at the corner of Bagley and 18th on Valentine's Day. The place is still getting its proverbial fighting stance down and tweaking its offerings. It may be too early to conduct a full review, but between one dine-in visit and one expansive carryout order, I've sampled almost the entire menu and found a lot more to like than in visits to its predecessor.

The interior of the new Fist of Curry restaurant in southwest Detroit, which suddenly replaced the Huron Room in February. (Photo: Mark Kurlyandchik, Detroit Free Press)

For starters, there's the concept itself. Sure, you can get both Thai-style and Japanese curries down the street at Takoi and Ima respectively or trek up to Hamtramck for its panoply of Indian, Pakistani and Bangladeshi offerings. But Fist of Curry is perhaps the first restaurant of its kind in metro Detroit to build its identity on the broader concept of curry itself, which originated on the Indian subcontinent thousands of years ago but has been exported around the world and altered regionally in fundamental ways.

The origins of chicken tikka masala, for example, are disputed, but the most widely accepted claim is that it was invented in Scotland, likely by a chef of Pakistani or Bangladeshi descent.

Fist of Curry's cardamom-forward tikka masala with either chicken or smoked tofu ($13) is already its most popular item, but there are much better options on the brief menu, which is split into five snacks, six curries, one rotating special, a couple of sides and two varieties of soft-serve ice cream.

Start with the cheese sticks ($6). This clever riff on mozzarella sticks employs melty halloumi cheese wrapped with fresh sage leaves in a crispy wonton roll. The result is lighter and less greasy than the traditional American bar variety and just might be the best thing on the menu. They come five to an order and are accompanied by a spicy tikka dipping sauce sans butter and cream, which allows the tomato and turmeric flavors to shine while being bolstered by a house-made ginger-garlic paste — a base for many of the curries here.

If there's one challenger to the cheese sticks, it's the curry-fried cauliflower ($7), another of the snack options. The florets are battered in rice flour and soda water for an almost tempura-like coating that's also gluten-free. It lends the florets a satisfying crunch despite being drenched in a sweet-and-sour-and-spicy Manchurian sauce. The garnish of cilantro and scallions adds an herbal element that rounds out the dish.

Jamaican jerk brisket curry ($16) from the new Fist of Curry restaurant in southwest Detroit. Mark Kurlyandchik, Detroit Free Press

The meat version made with chicken drumsticks ($8) is just as satisfying, while the lion salad ($8) deceives you with fresh herbs and hunks of English cucumber before sneak attacking with spice from both Thai and Hungarian peppers and a guajillo chile-infused vinaigrette.

Broadly speaking, the snacks are Fist of Curry's strongest offerings, while the curries themselves could use a little more coaxing in the depth department. (I'm going to make a controversial recommendation here and suggest a dash or two of MSG.) The long-grain basmati rice that accompanies each, on the other hand, is nicely cooked and worth noting.

Of the five curries I sampled, the soft-shell crab rose above the rest thanks to its Thai-inspired coconut curry that's bright with lemongrass and a dusting of sumac. There's crab paste and oil in the curry itself, but while soft-shell is in season, the whole crab is served on the side, lightly breaded and fried to crispy perfection. At $16, this dish represents the top of Fist of Curry's modest price scale.

The Japanese-inspired kare curry ($13) with pork katsu is another I'd recommend. The sauce starts with Japanese curry powder that's enriched with leftover pork juices from sister restaurant Johnny Noodle King and blended with sake, mirin, tamari and fresh Granny Smith apples. It's a silky and mild version of curry, perfect for heat-averse diners.

Other offerings include a smoked tofu curry ($12) that's both vegan and gluten-free, a meaty Jamaican jerk brisket curry ($16), a vegetarian saag halloumi ($12) that I also enjoyed and a rotating weekly special.

One of the biggest misses for me and evidently for a group of early online reviewers as well is the non-naan bread that's offered as a $2 side. The menu describes it as a house-made fry bread and the deep-fried gluten-free flatbreads that come out indeed have more in common with Navajo fry bread than soft, leavened naan -- a key component of so many good curries.

Executive chef and co-owner Les Molnar said he'd never attempt to make naan without a tandoori oven and is instead experimenting with a pizza dough-based flatbread brushed with ginger-garlic butter that will likely make it to the menu next month. That's a smart move and will likely stanch some of the criticism.

On the beverage side, Fist of Curry offers five house cocktails priced at $9 each that employ many of the ingredients you'd find in their curries, like a masala simple syrup. The beer list of nine drafts and 20 bottles and cans is well priced and includes a few surprises — like a nitro-draft Old Speckled Hen for $4 — among some usual suspects.

“Part of our motivation here is to expose people to what's out there," Molnar said. "I’m not some artisan savant when it comes to making curry yet, but we know we can make good food at an affordable price.”

Most important, though, is bringing new life to a concept that should've worked but never took off for a variety of reasons.

"Doing a smaller restaurant like this — Fist of Curry is between 40 and 50 seats — I think you can get away with having some niche fun over here when it comes to cuisine," Molnar said. "We just want to have fun at work. If we can make it as fun as possible and pass that energy on to the guest, that’s something we get a kick out of.”

If that's the goal, then this punny kung-fu curry shop may soon deliver a knockout roundhouse.

A Jamaican bobsled cocktail ($9) from the new Fist of Curry restaurant in southwest Detroit features rum with strawberry and pineapple juice garnished with a whole baby banana. (Photo: Mark Kurlyandchik, Detroit Free Press)

Fist of Curry
    2547 Bagley, Detroit.
    313-265-3325 and detroitcurry.com.

Dinner daily.

Irreverent '70s-themed curry joint with small bar and mostly booth seating.

Full liquor license with limited selections.

Reservations accepted.

Contact Mark Kurlyandchik: 313-222-5026 or mkurlyandc@freepress.com. Follow him on Twitter @mkurlyandchik and Instagram: curlyhandshake.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Enter the Cafe

A Journey To Deliciousness
    ENTER THE CAFE

HOURS
    Mon. 7:00am-6:00pm
    Tues. 7:00am-6:00pm
    Wed. 7:00am-6:00pm
    Thurs. 7:00am-6:00pm
    Fri. 7:00am-6:00pm
    Sat. 9:00am-6:00pm
    Sun. 9:00am-6:00pm

Join us on the corner of Broadway and Powell in San Francisco for hot drinks and cold desserts!

Serving artisan Intelligentsia coffee, incredible mochi waffles, amazing ice cream, delicious sandwiches, and more!

CONTACT
    1401 Powell Street
    San Francisco, CA 94133
    E / Enterthecafe@gmail.com
    ​T / (415) 967-3276

I know this corner. It seems like a good place for a cafe, but there's been many turnovers there over the years. Hope I can get up to SF and check this out soon.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

PimpShuei

PimpShuei is the world's #1 martial arts themed bar:
    a friendly basement dive bar inspired by old school kung fu cinema, filled with original movie posters, vintage tv screens and retro arcade games.
    This place looks cool. If I'm ever in London...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Mala Kungfu

New in Boston.

Hot pot eatery Mala Kungfu opens in Allston

Photo: Mala Kungfu/Yelp
    Tue. August 28, 2018, 1:09pm
    Instagram by Hoodline
    @Hoodline

A new Chinese restaurant has opened its doors in the neighborhood. The newcomer to Allston, called Mala Kungfu, is located at 155 Brighton Ave.

The bright, casual eatery offers customizable hot pot in which diners select a spice level, protein (beef, lamb, chicken and fish ball) and from vegetable and noodle options. The concise menu also features barbecue lamb skewers, chicken wings, coffee and tea.

Mala Kungfu has proven popular thus far, with a five-star rating out of 12 reviews on Yelp.

Jiaxi W., who was among the first Yelpers to review the new spot on Aug. 22, wrote, "My friend and I liked this place and really enjoyed our time there. The Mala Tang is authentic and delicious ... They also serve pineapple bun, which was also tasty!"

Yelper Calvin G. added, “We were impressed by the flavor of the soup — it is spicy with a mix of sesame. The staff is super friendly and multi-lingual, would highly recommend.”

Intrigued? Stop in to try it for yourself. Mala Kungfu is open from 11 a.m.–11 p.m. daily.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips