Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu Restaurants & Bars

shou la mian

it is not that easy to make.

the dough has to be right or ripe.

We pull it over and over.

We mash it together and pull it out again.

It is like making iron into steel.

We hammer on hot iron and cool it.

We heat the iron again and hammer it again.

--

the right softness and toughness.

It is soft on the outside but chewy on the inside.

Yes it is kung fu and tai chi, too.

--

Last edited by SPJ; 09-27-2012 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I know the author's name is Gene, but when I use a nom de plume, it's much less obvious.
    can you let us know what one, or more, of your nom de plumes are?

Syn7

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    can you let us know what one, or more, of your nom de plumes are?
    no. that would be telling.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    no. that would be telling.
    I can respect that. I never understood why people used other names but made no secret of it. I can understand why somebody who did use other names later on gets famous and then says "well, those other books were mine too". That makes sense, it's a marketing thing. Ride the strongest brand. But these unknowns and 'lesser' writers who use like 5 names and let it be known are just weird to me.

It would be interesting to read reviews when you have material out there under multiple names. You might get accused of plagiarizing your own style, lol...

Whaaaaaaaaat?!

For more on KF Saloon, see posts 35 & 66.
    Man Accuses Kung Fu Saloon of Racist Policy
    Friday, October 12, 2012, by Eric Sandler

On his Facebook page, Doogie Roux, an industrial software engineer and bicycle enthusiast, accuses Washington Avenue bar Kung Fu Saloon of employing policies that prevent African Americans from patronizing the establishment after a doorman at the club refused to allow him to enter it on Sunday. The employee told Roux that his shoes, pictured above, were the reason he couldn't come inside.

Eater reached out to Kung Fu for comment; a manager named Steven admitted he was aware of Roux's post and denied the club refuses to admit people based on race. He referred further questions to the club's GM, who was unavailable. Eater called a second time and was still unable to reach the GM. Rather than respond to Roux's complaints, he wrote on twitter that Kung Fu blocked him from posting on its Facebook page.

On the other hand, Roux had no problem telling his story. He said he'd been to Kung Fu at least two times before and enjoyed himself, but that on his previous visits he wore a button down shirt. Although he refers to them as "less flashy," he says the shoes he wore on those previous visits were of a similar style, but his pant legs covered them.

Thinking that a club that features vintage arcade games and skee ball wouldn't have a stringent dress code, he rode his bike there on Sunday. Since it was cold, Roux wore a hooded sweatshirt instead of a button down. To prevent his pants from catching on the bike's chain, he rolled the legs up, revealing his high top sneakers.

"I'm really upset, cause I kinda like the place," Roux said. Asked about his previous experiences at the club, he commented that "On previous visits, I didn't notice many African Americans in there. There were a few and a few Latinos, but the majority was white. A few people looked at me funny, but for the most part the interaction was positive. There were a few moments, but I won't let that keep me from having a good time."

Roux's complaints are not unique. On Kung Fu's Google plus page, other uses complain about being denied entry because of their race. User "Prissy Missy" writes that "Unfortunately the rumors are true. If you're a minority, there's not a chance you're getting in."

Without word from Kung Fu's management, it's difficult to know whether the whole incident is a simple case of "flashy" shoes and hoodies being unacceptable attire or something that's more sinister. Local activist Kyle Nielsen told Eater that he spent time on Wednesday evening observing people wearing various kinds of shoes being admitted to Kung Fu, but that could be the difference between a weeknight versus a weekend. For now, no one's talking.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Another Kung Fu Taco

Not the one in S.F. This one is in Ontario.

Welcome to Kung Fu Taco!

Kung Fu Taco has but 1 mission. To bring the succulent flavors of the orient to the streets of Southern Ontario.

Our food takes key oriental flavors and channels them in the comfortable package of a taco. This isn't your ordinary taco, and our toppings are not your ordinary taco toppings.

Whether it's some traditional Vietnamese sandwich toppings, or our signature homemade Kimchi, we have something for everyone's tastes. ALL of our sauces are scratch made, in house with our Kung Fu discipline and technique. Our Tacos will provide the perfect flavor kick to your day!

Our philosophy is 100% food first!

Fresh ingredients, classic yet creative oriental flavors, and a strong passion to please the new emerging foodie crowed and provide safe quality food to all of our customers.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

That's Shaolin Do taco. Note the gi.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post

That's Shaolin Do taco. Note the gi.
    lol

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I know, right?

...almost looks like some bad lkfmdc photoshop
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I'm still waiting for a place named Kung Fu'd...
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    I'm still waiting for a place named Kung Fu'd...
    That took me a second to get, lol..nice

Thus is the calibre of my wit, good sir.

More of Kung Fu Plaza

This place has been covered so much here (2009, 2010, 2010b, 2010c, 2010d). Has anyone tried it yet?
    Las Vegas Asian Restaurants Announces New Online Ordering
    by lasvegasnvblog
    Las Vegas, NV [PRWEB] -- Reports November 30, 2012

One of the - oldest & most authentic Las Vegas Asian Restaurants in southern Nevada, Kung Fu Thai & Chinese Restaurant, located at the - heart of Chinatown Las Vegas, is now the - 1st family-owned restaurant in Las Vegas NV to develop, & host an online order system for Asian food delivery & takeout orders. While other restaurants partner with nationally established online ordering & delivery sites, Kung Fu forges ahead with its own proprietary site, where shoppers checkout online safely on a secured site with SSL encryption. Orders placed online is freshly prepared from scratch & is ready within an hour from the - moment they are placed (unless otherwise specified), with delivery times moreover around an hour, based on location.

“Kung Fu the - top Las Vegas Asian Restaurant routinely delivers to one of the - leading service areas in the - Las Vegas NV valley, in addition to resorts, hotels, & convention booths on & around the - Las Vegas NV Strip,” says Alan Wong, general manager of Kung Fu Restaurant. “Development of the - new online menu & ordering system has-been both a challenging & rewarding six month process. It was challenging 'cause we wanted the - experience to appear effortless & rewarding 'cause our clients are as enthusiastic about it as we all are.”

“Part of the - euphoria is related to the - online menu which includes pictures alongside brief descriptions of every dish listed on the - restaurant’s extensive menu”, according to Wong. Kung Fu Thai & Chinese features over 250 authentic Thai & Chinese dishes.

Prior to the - recent launch, Kung Fu Restaurant listed menu items like most restaurants, with the - name of a dish & a description being posted online. While the - scale of the - menu had always made a positive & lasting impression, many patrons usually gravitate toward ordering what’s familiar, like these two top ten dishes, Mongolian beef Angus Certified® being among the - most very popular Chinese dishes & Pad Thai among the - most very popular Thai dishes. With the - new online menu, patrons can see all of the - dishes prepared by the - family’s master chef, which encourages them to stray from ordering the - same entree or appetizer every time.

According to Wong, “We always strive to introduce people to the - diversity of authentic Thai food so I like to encourage the - adventurous to order their favorites along with at least one new dish on every visit.” “With technology, we are making it easier than ever now. Even some of our dine-in patrons are signing in to our free (no cost) Wi-Fi to see the - dishes before they place their orders. Most chefs know in that food touches all five senses, in addition to sight. So it only makes sense to introduce the - visual experience sooner, well before the - meal is brought to the - table.”

We have not stop with simply enhancing the - visual online experience, Wong says the - restaurant is endeavoring to make the - online ordering experience as social as possible. Patrons, after signing up for an account, will be able to rate individual dishes, & write reviews specific to each dish, directly on the - website. In addition Asian food lovers would be able to share their thoughts directly on Facebook, Twitter, & other social networks. The online ordering system moreover tracks what dishes are being ordered the - most for takeout or delivery.

“When people see in that Almond Chicken or Barbecued Pork Chop Suey is popular, they are more likely to add in that dish to their order, even if they wouldn’t of ordered it otherwise,” asserted Wong. “All together, the - sharing, rating, & tracking attract curiosity. It will unquestionably influence our kitchen decisions over time as well.”

“Moving toward a digital ordering system adds versatility to the - restaurant,” says Wong. Years ago, when his parents opened the - original Kung Fu Restaurant on 3rd street & Fremont downtown Las Vegas NV in 1973, printed menus were always a huge deal for planning, design, & printing. “Although most restaurants will always have printed menus, for the - foreseeable future,” Wong says there may be a day when printed menus are obsolete. “One day, all menus might be on computer tablets.”

“I love the - idea of being able to add a new dish to the - digital menu for a few weeks to try it out & then taking it off without having to print new menus or specialty & seasonal menus,” he said. “Going Digital makes it easier to experiment, even if some staple items on our menu, like the - venerable Chicken Fried Rice, will never change.”

Kung Fu Las Vegas NV Asian Restaurants take pride in serving the - most authentic Thai cuisine. Many of the - dishes are old family recipes in that were passed down from one generation to the - next. Wong’s parents were so meticulous in preserving some dishes in that they built the - early foundation for Thai & Asian grocery imports to Las Vegas NV by opening Chinese Oriental Market on the - East side of Las Vegas NV during the - mid-1970’s. Today, Kung Fu Restaurant is well known throughout Thailand for its dedication to preserving traditional Thai cuisine.

To review the - online ordering system, visit https://www.kungfuplaza.com/online_orders/. Kung Fu Thai & Chinese Restaurant delivers within a five-mile radius & is located at 3505 S. Valley View Blvd., which is just west of the - Wynn Resort on the - Las Vegas NV Strip. For information, reservations, takeout, delivery, or for us to cater your next event, call 702-247-4120.

Founded in 1973, Kung Fu Thai & Chinese Restaurant is the - oldest & most authentic Chinese & Thai restaurant in Las Vegas. It is open every day from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. The online ordering system is moreover available daily, 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. yet anyone can view their Las Vegas NV Asian Restaurants menu at any time. The average entree is under $10 & most patrons prefer to order family style.

Contact Information:

Name: Kung Fu Thai & Chinese Restaurant
    Address: 3505 S Valley View Blvd Las Vegas, NV 89103
    Phone: 702-247-4120
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I see they changed Bumger to Bumburgers

More on Kung Fu Paradise

14 December 2012 | last updated at 11:57PM
    Cafe with a kick
    By Tan Bee Hong | phoenixbee@nst.com.my

Styled after Hong Kong’s new-age tea houses, Kungfu Paradise offers all-day long casual dining, writes Tan Bee Hong

BUMBURGERS? Rice Warrior? Master Pasta? Just some of the offerings at Kungfu Paradise, a chic cafe-style outlet with a manga character icon striking out in kungfu moves.

Designed after the Hong Kong char chan teng (tea house), Kungfu Paradise bills itself as a “cafe with a kick” and has both Asian and western cuisine as well as a fusion menu that attracts the young as well as families.

Customers pop in at all times of the day for light snacks such as Hong Kong-style toast. Popular choices are bun toast (salted butter and condensed milk) and French toast (with chicken floss and condensed milk).

The outlets are in a bright and cheerful orange hue, with intimate booth-seats as well as child-friendly plastic chairs and faux wood tables. Customers fill in a form with their orders and pass it to the waiter.

WESTERN WAYS

Kungfu Paradise goes west with its Kungfu Bumger (RM7.20). I’m really not into burgers, so I am surprised I actually enjoy this. For one thing, the ‘patty’ is a piece of deboned chicken thigh, not minced and processed burger meat of dubious origins. And it doesn’t come slathered with tomato sauce. Instead it has a teriyaki-based gravy that’s slightly pedas (a bit like kung po, I thought) and a dash of mayonnaise. For those who must have tomato sauce, sachets are provided.

But you won’t really need it as the bun, grilled chicken, lettuce and sauce come together really nicely for a tasty burger.

My palate is appeased but unfortunately, my curiosity about the name is not satisfied.

Other bumger choices are chicken cutlet, fish fillet, flame grilled cheese beef and shroomie (with mushrooms) cheese.

Kungfu Master salad (RM10.90) is a serving of lettuce, pineapple and purple cabbage topped with crispy deepfried chicken. A rather simple dish but it’s refreshing and I do love the Thai chilli dressing that gives it a perk.

Pasta is another signature item at Kungfu Paradise. The Popping Prawn pasta (RM18.90) is a cream-based dish, with poached prawns and a generous dollop of tobiko (flying fish roe) that really adds to the flavour. It tastes far better than its deceivingly simple appearance but I feel the chopped onions, still crunchy, doesn’t quite fit the equation. I would have preferred that the onions have a softer texture.
    Other choices include mushroom, grilled sirloin, meatball and seafood chilli crab.

RICE & NOODLES

If rice is your thing, you’ll find a decent meal here, including various types of fried rice.

Seafood tom yam soup (RM14.90), for instance, comes with white rice though it’s also available with noodles.

I love the kung po chicken rice bowl with lava egg (RM12.90). The latter is hard-boiled egg cooked in soya sauce, with precision timing to maintain a creamy, runny yolk. The chicken is chopped into pieces for easy eating and a kung po sauce (soya sauce with dried chilli) gives it an appetising flavour.

Items listed under Flaming Hot Bake Rice are popular. There are choices of seafood, mushroom, fish fillet, sausage, chicken chop and hamburger steak but we decide on Duo Master (RM16.90), a yin-yang presentation of chicken and fish fillet on top of rice topped with mozarella cheese before it’s baked. The chicken side comes with a tomato sauce while the fish has a cream sauce.

Asian style noodles are choices of vermicelli, kway teow, Nissin noodles (soup) and Korean noodles tossed in soya-based sauces or soup.

Our dry noodle (RM11.90) comes with two shrimp-paste chicken wings, vegetables and a sunny-side egg (with a runny yolk, which is definitely a signature for Kungfu Paradise). The noodles come with a variety of toppings, from chicken chipolata and ham to beef and seafood.

I like the stir fry seafood hor fun. It’s flavoursome and has prawns (big ones too), squid and fish. Served with sliced chilli in soya sauce.

HOT & SWEET

Salted egg custard buns (RM8.90 for three pcs) is listed under Dim Sum Power, together with spring rolls, xiu mai and har gow. Makes a lovely dessert though, with its sweet-savoury filling.

Another popular hot dessert is chocolate lava cake (RM12.90) with its oozing molten centre and served with vanilla ice cream.

Kungfu Paradise

Where
    Level 2, Paradigm Mall, Jalan SS 7/26A
    Kelana Jaya, Petaling Jaya, Selangor.
    Tel: 03-7887 5055
    Lower Ground Floor, Mid Valley Megamall, KL
    Tel: 03-2202 3099

Opening Hours
    Daily, 10am to 10pm.

Getting There
    Along Damansara Puchong Highway

What’s Cooking
    Casual meals from pasta and noodles to baked rice, dim sum and dessert.

Must Try
    Hong Kong-style baked rice.

You’ll Pay
    About RM20 per person.

Atmosphere
    Chic cafe.

Service
    Cheerful.

Overall Verdict
    Go give it a try
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Fat Ninja

Next time I'm in this part of India...
    Ninja Dilli-wallah
    Full T1 Speed: $269/Mo. www.MegaPath.comFast, Affordable. 4 9s Reliability. Call 877-757-5801.
    Shantanu David : Sat Jan 12 2013, 01:37 hrs

With its Chinjabi fare served amid a swanky decor, Fat Ninja makes a fitting name for the Hauz Khas Village eatery.

Ninjas are said to have an intense workout regime. Perhaps this is why Fat Ninja, a new Chinese eatery in Hauz Khas Village, is located at the summit of a building. Climbing up three flights of stairs, dodging hazards such as flying dust and wood chips from ongoing construction work on the lower floors, we arrive at the restaurant — congratulating ourselves on our Jet Li-like stamina and instincts, bereft as we are of any debris.

The space in the restaurant is huge, like the hall of a Buddhist temple from one of the ninja movies. Spread over several levels, there are outdoor and indoor seating areas, a terrace enclosed in a greenhouse-like structure and a separate roof seating area. The decor meanders from woodwork in the interiors to stonework in the exteriors, with cheerfully coloured couches providing a splash of colour. As chilled-out lounge music pipes through the speakers, and all the elements come together to make you feel as if you’re in the Mortal Kombat bar. Now, all that’s needed to complete this illusion is servers dressed like Scorpion and Sub-Zero (which they’re not).

After a brief perusal of the menu, we decide to start with the Ninja Crispy Chicken and Birds Prawns — which we (erroneously, as it turns out) assume involves bird’s eye chilli in some form. The chicken comprised thin batter-fried strips, accompanied by a (according to the menu) piquant sauce. While the chicken was certainly crispy, we wish it or the accompanying sauce would have been in fact piquant. Our Scoville yearnings unfullfilled, we turn to the prawns and discover the actual reason behind its avian name. The prawns are served curled and perched upright on their tails, crowned by a blob of cream embellished with “eyes” and a “beak”. Birds prawns, get it? The prawns are big and juicy, and go well with the accompanying sauce, though we would recommend the chefs use a little less cornflour.

For our mains, we decide to go with Slice Lamb Chiily and Basil (our inner grammar and spelling Nazi wincing) with Chilli Garlic Noodles and our Oriental mainstay, Chicken in Red Thai Curry (well, the curry is our mojo, the protein is largely irrelevant). The noodles live up to their name, a hot slithering mass crusted with garlic and chilli flakes. Unfortunately, so does the lamb, which is cooked as well as it is spelled. The Thai curry, on the other hand, is great with the lemongrass, kaffir lime and galangal doing a nice balancing act, like a troupe of adept acrobats. The spice and flavour will warm the heart of any Chinjabi loving Dilli-wallah. Since we’ve never been big fans of Oriental desserts, we give them a miss.

All in all, Fat Ninja is good in terms of its ambience and music, though the food still requires a bit of fine-tuning, which shouldn’t be too much of an issue.

Meal for two: Rs. 1,500 (including taxes, excluding alcohol) Address: 26, Hauz Khas Village Contact: 30146022, Ext: 551
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips