Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ideas to build strength

A Great Supplement

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Keetlebells are great, though a tad over-hyped.
    I think kettlebells are a great supplement to an existing routine! They keep my cardio top notch so when I'm doing MA, I don't have to worry about stamina. You can definitely use them to put on mass by lifting heavy, doing reps of 5x5, or ladders of 5.

I'll have to agree with others on this thread though, if you are just wanting to get big... then stick with the basics... sqats, DL, presses, and go heavy. If you can knock out five reps without a struggle then you're going WAY to light. You also have to eat like a bear and get plenty of rest. Sleep is major!

Has anyone else on here noticed the line between training for strength and training for endurance? There's definitely a balance there and if you focus too much on one area the other suffers. Sucks hehehe

Look, KeTTlebells ( ) are a great tool, but lets not forget that we were getting big and strong without them for a long time.
    The "secret", of there is one, to building strength is progressive resistence.
    Of course there will come a time were you can't lift more weight, though lets be honest, none of us are that Elite Level, so we shouldn't worry too much about that stage.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Im an average guy, in fair shape.

I weigh 185 and stand about 5'10"

I can b-press 2 bucks and feel it heavy after 4-5 benches.

I think if anyone is into lifting to gain strength, you have to be able to work with at least your own weight and up to consider yourself building real strength.

I don't think the shape of the weight matters so much as your good structure and form in teh lift.

a lot of people testify about this weight or that weight, but in my eyes it has nothing to do with kettlebells or indian clubs or what have you and only that you have correct form when lifting.

Sh!t, a sack of bricks will do! lol or buckets of water even better. I mean, if you can't afford good equipment, do with what you got.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Sometime unconvential stuff works even better than the standard stuff.

A friend of mine works as a delivery guy for a water company and he has to move all those big jugs of water, funny thing is they are just real big kettlebells in many ways.
    So he suggested I use them and I, being the freak that I am, said sure, why not?

So, the other day I did a routine with them and **** !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Look, KeTTlebells ( ) are a great tool, but lets not forget that we were getting big and strong without them for a long time.
    The "secret", of there is one, to building strength is progressive resistence.
    Of course there will come a time were you can't lift more weight, though lets be honest, none of us are that Elite Level, so we shouldn't worry too much about that stage.
    You got a point however I've seen many big and strong guys nearly puke from doing a hardcore workout with the 16k I think they help redefine what strength really is. Its all about capacity... how much weight can you move and how long can you do it.

I say work both fast and slow twitch muscle fibersto hit both groups and maximize muscle gains

Quote Originally Posted by SDJerry View Post
    You got a point however I've seen many big and strong guys nearly puke from doing a hardcore workout with the 16k I think they help redefine what strength really is. Its all about capacity... how much weight can you move and how long can you do it.
    Its about specificity, I can get guys that work the 35kg or more KB and make them puke on the heavy bag.

Quote Originally Posted by SDJerry View Post
    Has anyone else on here noticed the line between training for strength and training for endurance? There's definitely a balance there and if you focus too much on one area the other suffers. Sucks hehehe
    I get a good balance between the aforementioned PTP routine I do for strength and twice-a-week HIIT (Tabata intervals on the rowing machine) for endurance. Neither significantly affects the other. That's my side stuff for conditioning to supplement my MA. Neither significantly affects my MA either. The only problem is it works so well it makes me extremely reluctant to vary up my routine.
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo