Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ideas to work on stamina

Ideas to work on stamina

Hi

Any ideas to improve stamina.

I'm looking for workouts, circuit training, core training, methods and etc.

I do the usual jogging-running but struggle with that too.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsam View Post
    Hi

Any ideas to improve stamina.

I'm looking for workouts, circuit training, core training, methods and etc.

I do the usual jogging-running but struggle with that too.
    The best way to achieve physical stamina is to work on mental endurance I think.

In traditional gong fu, there are lot's of ways we work on improving our mental endurance. The most common is standing postures, and repative training of techniques. These methods naturally build mental endurance, particularly if your intention is to do so.

When you run, if your doing standing post, you should feel like even though your body is giving out, you have this invisible mental strength that allows you, even encourages you to carry on as long as you will.

I know that I could run long enough to really hurt myself, and keep running. When I have a hard labor day of work, I really have to watch myself. I would definately attribute this quality to standing post.
    "Siezing oppurtunities causes them to multiply" Sun Tze

Quote Originally Posted by iron_leg_dave View Post
    The best way to achieve physical stamina is to work on mental endurance I think.
    How would you advice to do this....

I suppose i do have a big pain barrier that i need to overcome

If your going to do gong fu, you should get used to pain. Atleast used to not being used to it, and being able to cause it to yourself.

You don't even need deep stances to train endurance though. It is mental. Tree holding in tai ji, isn't painful, but if it is done in the right frame of mind every single day will greatly enhance your endurace. Doing your gong fu, atleast an hour a day everyday, especially when you don't want to, will increase your endurance.

Keep thinking of ways to improve your endurance, and focus on training it.

The way I started doing internal work like that, was by focusing on will power, then endurance, then honesty, then courage, etc.

Just doing my kung fu every day, thinking of what I was working on. Throughout the day, I would be thinking about will, or endurance or whatever. Until I was ready to move on to the next thing.

A big part of gong fu is wu de etc. And training forms, drills etc, with the right ideas in mind will build the mental components of kung fu.

Later, I could muster courage, or summon will.

Now, if I need some endurance etc. it manifests itself.
    "Siezing oppurtunities causes them to multiply" Sun Tze

That's a hokey answer, Iron Leg.

We use different variations of Tabata (20 second on, 10 second off) intervals. For example:

1st set (20 secs): Jumping jacks

break 10 secs

2nd set (20 secs): Punch heavy bag

break 10 secs

3rd set (20 secs): Kettlebell cleans

break 10 secs

4th set (20 secs): Punch and sprawl

break 10 secs

5th set (20 secs): Knees on Heavy bag

break 10 secs

Repeat this 3 times.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

That's a mean looking workout MK.

And not that it matters but it isn't technically Tabatas. The Tabata Protocol works eight repetitions of the same exercise - that's what makes it special, otherwise it's just another interval.

He designed it so you couldn't do more than 15-20 reps each time. I've had this debate before, in that if the exercise is very similar (i.e. different kinds of push-up) is it still Tabata, because it means I can do way more reps. The answer appears to be yes and no! For example normal and wide spread push-ups are probably close enough to the same range of movement, as are normal and narrow, but wide, narrow and normal are working too many different muscle groups... probably... well, that's my interpretation anyway, but pure Tabatas are the same exercise.

The other thing to remember about Tabatas is that even top athletes shouldn't do them more than three times a week because the specific taxing effect on the nervous system of working essentially through failure six or seven times in four minutes is not good for your head or body.

But that's enough about Tabatas: I agree with you that any programme of HIIT (Tabatas or otherwise) is going to be good for stamina.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Incidentally, my MMA coach used to get us 'warmed up' (= 'knackered out') by giving five minutes of similar drills to yours with about 20-30 secs on and 10-15 secs off (I don't know how long, I'm guessing)... except that the 'off' was always punching/kicking the bag...!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    last night I had a discussion with my student, Pan.(Pan trains Muay Chaya and Muay Boran in Thailand, and won his first MMA event there). He brought up a very intersting point.
    He said that running is not productive cardio for a fighter. Better to do sports specific such as bagwork.
    It makes sense to me,
    what are your thoughts?
    -although I enjoy my runs. I do a mile warm-up and then six-eight sprints, and then a cool-down.
    tabatas look awesome. I will work those into my training.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    He said that running is not productive cardio for a fighter. Better to do sports specific such as bagwork...
    This is correct.

Running is an aerobic exercise. Fighting is anaerobic.

Training running is good for you mentally and physically for any other aerobic activity (therefore for self-defence related stuff... you can er... run away a lot better!), and good for just plain old ballsing it out.

It isn't much use for fighting, unless someone's lung capacity is really crap anyway.

Intervals is the way. Sprinting intervals is also cool.

Kettlebells Rock!

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    That's a hokey answer, Iron Leg.

We use different variations of Tabata (20 second on, 10 second off) intervals. For example:

1st set (20 secs): Jumping jacks

break 10 secs

2nd set (20 secs): Punch heavy bag

break 10 secs

3rd set (20 secs): Kettlebell cleans

break 10 secs

4th set (20 secs): Punch and sprawl

break 10 secs

5th set (20 secs): Knees on Heavy bag

break 10 secs

Repeat this 3 times.
    I agree 100%! I'm definitely a kettlebell advocate myself. We switch things up alot too... sometimes we do the circuit training similar to above, sometimes we focus on doing a certain task for time. Say snatching a kettlebell for 3 minutes, 5 minutes, and even 10 on occasion. One teaches you explosiveness while the other teaches you to pace yourself.

Jumping rope is a great exercise! You can also work your footwork from a fighting posture while holding a 5lb dumb bell in each hand. Don't worry about shadow boxing just try to keep your hands up. It will help condition your shoulders.

cjurakpt Guest
    post standing is an excellent practice (when my life permitted it, 20 min minimum at a pop, up to an hour if I was "in the zone") and will train many things, for example awareness / correction of postural imbalance, relationship of the breathing mechanism to ground reaction force, and awareness / quieting of the discursive mind; it will not train aerobic capacity / endurance because it's not engaging the neuromuscular and cardiorespiratory systems the same way dynamic exercises do; which is why Yi Jin Jing exists (well, at least our version, which has 43 exercises and when done full out can be a real killer...)

also agree about fighters doing as sport-specific training as possible: straight out running does no train the types of attributes needed for fighting, mainly because it's using different muscles groups and the firing patterns are different; by comparison, tennis is much closer to fighting then running / swimming in terms of muscle function (short, explosive, timing / distance is critical, efficient power delivery) and mental focus (strategy under pressure, killer instinct, not choking when you are about to put away the match)
    Last edited by cjurakpt; 09-23-2008 at 07:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    A fact that seems to be seldom mentioned.........

Attacking is anaerobic.

Fighting is a combination of aerobic and anaerobic endurance. Boxers and MMA fighters don't just build up strong aerobic endurance for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by JGTevo View Post
    Attacking is anaerobic.

Fighting is a combination of aerobic and anaerobic endurance. Boxers and MMA fighters don't just build up strong aerobic endurance for nothing.

Lemme guess....

They build up their aerobic endurance for those long periods when they aren't attacking?

They build up their aerobic endurance for those long periods when they aren't attacking?
    If someone can provide a scientific explanation on how boxing, fighting, etc. is even 50% or more anaerobic I'd love to hear it.

Generally an Anaerobic exercise is characterized by a short burst of intense exertion. This would be for example, a punch. This is not, for example, the energy needed to retract the punch, the energy needed to evade or defend, feint, or the energy needed to move around the opponent.

Boxing and MMA use aerobic and anaerobic exercises because fighting requires significant amounts of conditioning for both.

If you have a logical, scientifically verifiable response I'd love to hear that, instead of your poorly thought out sarcasm.
    Last edited by JGTevo; 09-24-2008 at 01:41 AM.