Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: my kung fu booze

tsk tsk shame on them! XD they should be setting an example for other martial artists not drugs and alcohol.

“It is necessary to drink alcohol and pursue other fun human activities. The Karate of a person who is too serious has no flavor.”

-Choki Motobu

slightly OT

A binge drinking contest to promote your booze? Who thought that brilliant idea up?

This is entirely different from our Drunken-Style-Championship.

Man dies after binge-drinking contest, organizers to compensate
    Updated: 2015-05-05 17:36
    (Xinhua)

ZHENGZHOU - The organizers of an alcohol drinking contest in Central China's Henan province on Tuesday were ordered to pay compensation of over 70,000 US dollars after one participant died.

Wang Qiang took part in the contest in Luoyang city in July with a friend. Both men reportedly said they "felt weird" after the competitive binge-drinking session.

The other man regained consciousness after medical attention, however, Wang was not so lucky. The cause of death was attributed to alcohol poisoning.

Wang's family filed a lawsuit against the organizers of the event: the Henan Alcohol Association, the Henan Alcohol Association Luoyang Office and Luoyang Siyue Trade Co. Ltd., for their active role in Wang's death.

The Laocheng district court of Luoyang ruled that the organizers should pay 447,642.36 yuan to the family.

The defendants did not say whether they will appeal.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

What no reference to Chang Bai Ginseng infused single malt?
    Dr. Dale Dugas
    Hakka Mantis
    Integrated Eskrima
    Pukulan Cimande Pusaka Sanders

All for Use
    Nothing for Show

"Felt weird" after binge drinking eh? I thought that's why it was done to begin with!

herb ox

Random yet amusing

I had a similar situation going into Beijing but instead of chugging it, I had to place it in a briefcase I bought quickly at the airport gift store and check it as luggage. I wrote about that in Shaolin Trips - Episode Two.

What to do with expensive alcohol before boarding a flight? Why, chug it, of course!

Krista Rogers
    5 days ago

What would you do if you were about to catch a flight but were then told that you couldn’t bring a bottle of alcohol worth approximately 8,000-yuan (US$1,290) onto the plane? Hands up if you’d down it in a matter of minutes!

On June 20, a man at the Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport in southeast China was stopped as he was about to board his plane. The reason? Airport officials had discovered a cute tiger ornament in his possession that had an unscrewable head, which subsequently revealed the animal to be full of a high-grade, revitalizing alcohol.

Now, it might seem strange to seasoned travelers that anyone could commit such a rookie mistake as trying to bring a large quantity of liquid in with their carry-on luggage onto the plane. However, it just so happens that June 20 of this year marked the traditional Duanwu Festival, otherwise known as the Dragon Boat Festival, throughout parts of China. Many people were traveling to be with relatives around that time, including complete airport newbies, so airport security had to deal with an unusually high number of these types of incidents over the past few weeks.

With hardly any time left before the plane’s departure to dash off and store it in his checked luggage, what was the man to do? Rather than dump the precious, 8,000-yuan ($1,290) bottle of liquid down the drain, he began chugging it in turns with his younger brother, who also happened to be a fellow passenger on the flight:

▼ You go, little bro!

▼ The tiger-shaped vessel, which could easily be mistaken for a decoration

Despite warnings from the airport staff that the brothers wouldn’t be allowed on the plane if they were completely drunk, we have to guess that they made it to their final destination safely, although with a bit lighter luggage in tow.

Hopefully this tale will remind everyone to stay well aware of safety regulations before traveling, so that no one else finds themselves in the middle of an impromptu Oktoberfest at the airport like these guys did!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Johnnie Walker Blue Label® GOLDEN ROOSTER LIMITED EDITION

JOHNNIE WALKER
    JOHNNIE WALKER BLUE LABEL® GOLDEN ROOSTER LIMITED EDITION
    $259.00 $219.00

LOOKING FOR THE ULTIMATE GIFT?
    Get this item Engraved. Click Add to Cart for Details.

SPECIAL OFFER $219
    ReserveBar is the Official E-Commerce Partner of Johnnie Walker

This Lunar New Year, we celebrate with Johnnie Walker Blue Label our pinnacle of blends with the Rooster-the most pioneering sign of the zodiac. This unique, collectible limited edition is offered exclusively for the Lunar New Year at 46% ABV to add additional character, intensity and signature flavor.

Johnnie Walker Blue Label sets the standard, a blend of the rarest malts from hand-selected casks across Scotland. Its flavors are influenced by the smoke of the west and the rich, sweet whiskies of the east. The whiskies that compose Blue Label are especially selected for their individuality from some of the rarest stocks in the Johnnie Walker reserves; only one in 10,000 casks is deemed to be of sufficient character for selection.

Serve neat in a tumbler with a glass of iced water on the side to fully appreciate the slow, intense, rich, deep and multilayered experience. Blue Label is the ultimate tribute to those who define themselves not by where they stand, but by where they are going. It has traditionally been enjoyed on holidays, birthdays, and moments of celebration and achievement; regardless of the occasion, it is a gift for those whose defining moment has yet to be defined.

Bottle Size: 750ml
    46% ABV
    This product is only available for delivery in the following states:
    AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, FL, HI, IL, KY, MD, MA, MI, MN, NE, NV, NJ, SC, TX, WA, WI
    Please Drink Responsibly.

NOTES OF SCENT & FLAVOR

HAZELNUT
    The aroma of hazelnuts, honey, sherry and oranges tumble in first.

RICH SPICES
    Hidden secrets like ginger, sandalwood and dark chocolate are released.

DRIED FRUIT
    A rich honey sweetness emerges, accompanied by hints of pepper and dried fruits.

SMOKY
    An impossibly long, lingering, smooth finish of perfectly balanced, soft smoke.

“The layers of taste evolve and resonate with an elegant smoky finish.”

ORIGINS
    The whiskies that make Blue Label are especially selected for their individuality from some of the rarest stocks. Maturing in oak means that there will always be the exceptional, the unusual and the rare, and these are the whiskies that are used for Blue Label. The Master Blenders at Johnnie Walker have always possessed legendary sensory skills. To produce Blue Label requires not only the skill to sense an aroma in parts per million, but to then weave these together, creating layer upon layer of taste and flavor. Their role in creating Blue Label is to guide the unbroken line of maturing stock until it's ready for selection.

CUSTOM ENGRAVING
    Send a one-of-a-kind gift. Personalization available on select bottles.
    Note that this is deliverable to CA. Where I live. And you can engrave it however you like, even something derogatory. I won't mind.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Slightly OT

Centuries-old alcohol discovered in China
    Lilit Marcus, CNN • Published 7th November 2018

(CNN) — Bottoms up!
    Chinese archaeologists have uncovered a 2,000-year-old bronze pot that contains an alcoholic liquid believed to be wine.
    The discovery occurred on November 6 in China's Henan province, west of Shanghai.
    Shi Jiazhen, who is head of the Institute of Cultural Relics and Archaeology in the province's city of Luoyang, tells China's Xinhua news agency that "there are 3.5 liters of the liquid in the color of transparent yellow. It smells like wine."
    The maybe-wine was found as part of an excavation of a Western Han Dynasty-era tomb, along with artifacts made from clay and bronze.
    Wine has long played in a role in other important archeological digs.
    Shards of pottery dating from the Neolithic era (6000-5800 BCE) marked with remnants of grapes were unearthed in the country of Georgia in 2017. They contain some hints about the origin of winemaking there, nearly a full millennium ahead of when historians had previously believed the practice began.
    The pottery had traces of tartaric acid, which is what gives wine its tartness.
    Meanwhile, the island nation of Cyprus also holds claim to another historical wine accomplishment: Its Commanderia dessert wine is believed to be the oldest named wine in the world.
    Other than the as-yet-unnamed liquid, the other major discovery in the Henan province archeological dig this week was a large bronze lamp in the shape of a goose.
    Luoyang is rich with historical significance. Its location at the confluence of the Yellow and Luo rivers makes it an important center for trading. It has been the capital of many dynasties, including the Western Jin, Northern Wei and Later Tang.
    The city is home to the Shaolin Temple (sometimes referred to as the Shaolin Monastery), which is famed for its connection to kung fu, and the Longmen Grottoes Buddhist rock carvings, both of which are UNESCO World Heritage sites.
    THREADS
    my kung fu booze
    Luoyang
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

slightly ot

FILED UNDER: A.M. INTEL
    Bay Area Authorities on the Hunt for Woman Who Stole $4K Bottle of Cognac From a Restaurant

by Dianne de Guzman Mar 15, 2022, 10:42am PDT
    Cognac At Remy Cointreau SA
    A sticky-fingered patron at Mt. Hamilton Grand View Restaurant in San Jose left with quite the prize: a 100-year-old bottle of Louis XIII cognac valued at $4,000. Santa Clara County Sheriff’s Office posted surveillance video and photos of the theft on Facebook. In the video, a woman dips behind the bar of the GrandView and, aided by a male accomplice-slash-lookout, quickly picks up a bottle then leaves the restaurant with cognac in hand. The theft took place on March 8, and KTVU reports the couple was part of a dinner party of 10 that ate at the restaurant before taking the alcohol. And no, there is no credit card for police to chase in this instance — the group apparently paid the $1,600 dinner tab in cash. [KTVU]
    Wonder if she's drunk the evidence yet...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

sorry

Mom of six ‘very sorry’ she walked out of CA restaurant with $4,000 bottle of liquor
    BY MADDIE CAPRON UPDATED MARCH 17, 2022 9:49 AM
    Play VideoDuration -:- Video shows woman stealing $4,000 bottle of liquor from restaurant bar The Santa Clara County Sheriff’s Office video shows a suspect it said took a bottle of cognac worth $4,000 from the bar of a restaurant in San Jose on March 8, 2022.
    BY SANTA CLARA COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE VIA STORYFUL
    A woman walked out of a restaurant with a bottle of alcohol worth thousands — and returned it days later, California police said. The Santa Clara County Sheriff’s Office said Saturday, March 12, it was searching for a woman who was seen snatching a bottle of alcohol from the Grand View restaurant in San Jose. Surveillance footage showed the woman walking behind the bar counter and taking a bottle from the back. She then walked out of the room, video showed. Deputies said the bottle of alcohol is worth $4,000. A restaurant manager told KTVU the woman took a bottle of Louis XIII cognac that was 100 years old. Days after it was taken, the bottle was returned, the restaurant’s owner told NBC Bay Area. $2 for 2 months Subscribe for unlimited access to our website, app, eEdition and more CLAIM OFFER Someone showed up with the bottle to return it on the woman’s behalf, according to Bay Area News Group. It was still sealed when it was returned, and the restaurant doesn’t plan to press charges, according to the news outlet. “With all the bad things happening around the world, from COVID to Ukraine, I decided to give her a second chance and not press charges,” the owner told NBC Bay Area. “She’s a mother of six who says she’s very sorry.”
    Still pondering a $4K bottle. How much is that per shot?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Johnnie Walker Blue Label Year of the Rabbit.

Johnnie Walker Unveils 2022 Lunar New Year Bottle
    By Kyle Swartz - November 28, 2022

Johnnie Walker Blue Label Year of the Rabbit.

Johnnie Walker has unveiled their 2022 Johnnie Walker Blue Label Lunar New Year Limited Edition Design, featuring art from Shanghai-based fashion designer Angel Chen.

The label for the Year of the Rabbit shows a “dynamic, modern interpretation” of 2023’s Zodiac animal, the rabbit, the company says. The rabbit signifies longevity in traditional Asian culture, and as an echo of the Johnnie Walker motto, Keep Walking, rabbits are shown hopping among mountains, the company adds.

Chen, who studied fashion in the Central Saint Martin College of Art (London), says, “There’s a defiant energy to my illustrations which bring to life the vibrant spirit of the rabbit as it leaps across the design, symbolizing how we need to keep moving forward, spreading goodness throughout the year to come.”

Advertisement
    Johnnie Walker Blue Label Year of the Rabbit, 40% ABV, is available now at retailers until supplies last. It has a suggested retail price of $275 per 750-ml. bottle.
    2023-Year-of-the-Rabbit
    my-kung-fu-booze
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Blanc de Blancs = white rabbit?

Year of the Rabbit 2019
    The “Year of the Rabbit” celebrates the Rabbit, the 4th of the 12 animals in the Chinese zodiac. It is a vintage Blanc de Blancs, made from a single vineyard Chardonnay block on our Thomas Road Vineyard. The Rabbit symbolizes hope, long life, tenderness and beauty. Rabbit years include 1939, 1950, 1963, 1975, 1987, 1999, 2011, 2023 making this the perfect gift for anyone expecting a baby … and for those celebrating a milestone birthday, like turning 60.

$75.00
    Bottle (750 ML)
    $900.00
    Case (12 bottles)
    2023-Year-of-the-Rabbit
    my-kung-fu-booze
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Vera Wang

STYLISH

By Kira Gunn Barrett October 23, 2023

Vera Wang Gilbert Carrasquillo/FilmMagic

Fans have long wondered how on earth Vera Wang manages to look so youthful. Well, the secret’s out — and the answer is probably not what you would have guessed.

While attending the DKMS gala on Thursday, October 19, Wang, 74, told Page Six that she doesn’t have many restrictions on her diet. “I do eat McDonald’s, absolutely,” she said, adding, “I order it every day, like two weeks on it, and then I’ll change.”

But Wang doesn’t just limit herself to McDonald’s. She’s also a fan of Dunkin’ Donuts. “I like the cream-filled, sugar-coated donut,” she told the outlet. “It’s like a jelly donut, but it’s cream inside, vanilla cream. I like the pink with sprinkles, too.”

In the same interview with Page Six, Wang said she believes that working hard also helps her to feel young. “Basically, I’ve worked my whole life, so it’s really been about work. I think work keeps you young and stimulated,” she said, continuing, “I work very long hours, I’ve raised two daughters. I think keeping busy is the best antidote [for] good health.”

Courtesy of Vera Wang/Instagram

In 2020, Wang shocked fans when she posted an Instagram photo of herself posing in an orange sports bra and white denim shorts. At the time, she was 70 years old, although readers would be forgiven for mistaking the designer for decades younger.

Fans flocked to the comments to express their awe at her youthful appearance. One commenter wrote, “Impossible, it is biologically impossible not to have a single wrinkle and loose skin after seventy. Don’t make fools of us – or are you a Martian?????😂”

Courtesy of Vera Wang/Instagram

In an interview with Elle published on March 16, the designer said that she isn’t seeking out approval for her appearance. “I’m very flattered that people think I’ve aged well, but it was never my goal,” Wang said. “I drink vodka, I sleep, I avoid the sun. But I like to work. I don’t want to be pigeonholed.”

Later in the interview, Wang said that she feels that the public’s focus on her looks “brings up the issue of ageism.” She added, “ I was never really obsessed with aging. I can’t speak for younger generations, but things that exist now did not exist 50 or 60 years ago. There was no such thing as Botox.”
    She has her own line of vodka...
    Fast-Food-Nastiness
    my-kung-fu-booze
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I'm very conflicted about this...

This New Doritos Liquor Is More Than Just a Cheesy Gimmick
    We taste-tested it for you.

By Brad Japhe Published on December 12, 2023

PHOTO: COURTESY OF EMPIRICAL

Nacho Cheese Doritos have been a staple of the snack food aisle for nearly half a century. Now, they’re headed to the liquor shelf.

In a most unconventional crossover, the iconic tortilla chip brand has partnered with Empirical Spirits to release an 84-proof clear liquor that actually smells and tastes like the real thing, minus the signature crunch — thankfully. Which is to say, it’s unlike any alcohol you’ve ever smelled or tasted before. And we don’t mean that in a bad way.

Ensuring the integrity of the new creation is Lars Williams. The former chef and self-avowed flavor expert spent time at Noma before breaking off to co-found Empirical in 2017. Since then, he’s steered the company toward “uncategorized” spirits. This grants him and his team the freedom to experiment without conforming to the well-defined parameters of, say, a gin, a rum, or a whisky.

It’s precisely this sort of unrestrained attitude that led to the serendipitous development of a Doritos-flavored booze.

“In Empirical’s very early days in Copenhagen, a team member returned from lunch with a sandwich and a bag of Doritos,” Williams recalls of the origin story. “Curiosity led me to turn this snack into a spirit. Upon tasting it, the result was amazing, and we burst into laughter. We shared it with friends, especially chefs. We would just give them a little glass without telling them what it was. The sheer joy in their face was amazing to watch.”

Indeed, one sniff of the spirit is enough to reveal its anchor ingredient. The bouquet is brimming with the unmistakable tang of cheese dust. But in the sip, it’s all about cornier elements. It leaves your palate with a drying note, akin to what accumulates on your tongue after you’ve crushed a sizable bag of corn chips. In other words, it’s maybe more Fritos than Doritos.

COURTESY OF EMPIRICAL

“My goal was to recreate the entire experience of opening a bag of Doritos, getting that signature aroma, followed by its flavor dance across the palate with its unmistakable savory, cheesy, and umami notes,” adds Williams.

To get there, he started with a base of distilled beer — pilsner malt, to be precise. The Doritos were then introduced and allowed to infuse in the liquid, under exacting time and temperature. Vacuum distillation, which operates at lower temperatures than traditional distillation, was used to safeguard flavors collected during maceration. Ultimately, you can think of the product as a nacho cheese-flavored vodka.

The folks at PepsiCo, Doritos’ parent company, were suitably impressed by the mashup. It was Empirical who approached them with the idea of the collaboration. Despite the unlikely commingling of Noma-pedigreed personnel with America’s most popular snack chip, the pairing makes perfect sense when you realize that high-end chefs have a well-known penchant for off-shift junk food.

The release will arrive on shelves next month wearing a cost closer to that of caviar. The limited edition bottle of Empirical x Doritos Nacho Cheese Spirit is set to retail at $65 — nearly twice the average sum of super premium vodkas. The ability to show up at a Super Bowl party offering shots of Doritos, however, is surely priceless. Just don’t hold your breath for a Cool Ranch follow-up. Williams tried that and wasn’t happy with the results. Perhaps some Funyuns rum, instead?
    my-kung-fu-booze
    Gene-amp-Nacho-Cheese
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Its just another thing to tempt cheesy people, like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6HWMkyTAaA