Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wah Lum as a performance art???

MiamiMantis Guest

Wah Lum as a performance art???

I was reading a post on what your favorite Mantis style was, saw it as a good question, and posted my reply. As I was reading the other replies, I noticed that Kicking Mantis saw Wah Lum as a "performance art". Not to be one that flies of the handle when things are said about my system, I wanted Kicking Mantis to elaborate on that quote. I see Wah Lum as a well rounded system, not perfect, as none are, as all are lacking something or another. Actually I also take that as a compliment as Wah Lum does very well in competition, in forms and fighting, and indeed the forms are very flowing and do good in competition..... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Papieboni Guest

Please RE-READ my POST and then REPLY.

Miami Mantis,

I dont see anywhere in my post where I said anything about Wah Lum being a "Performance Art!"
    Wnen you read items, read carefully before you respond.

MiamiMantis Guest

Wah Lum as a performance art

Well it's in pretty plain english, but I will refresh your memory just in case. You responded to Phantom's post on what is your favorite style of Mantis and why and you replied, and I quote "However, previously, I studied and still practice traditions of Wah Lum and found it to be a good system, more of a performance art, good forms and drills for basics and to develop power, flexibility and strength." Then you go on singing the merits of 7 seven star, which I'm sure is an excellant system. That I am not arguing. Just expand on performance art for me. Thanks [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Papieboni Guest

Explanation of "Performance Art".

Miami,

I guess I did say those words didn't I!.

We'll......like I said, I am not putting down any art, because i feel the individual has to develop their art to make it part of who they are to make it work for them, However, In my opinion, Wah Lum as do many other Northern and Some Southern styles, hold characteristics that make them pleasing to the eye and gathers crowds. High, Jumping, and Spinning Kicks, Full Sweeps, long arm and body movements, Butterfly kicks, Splits, very low kicks on one leg and etc......to me are examples of movements that are beautiful that are in arts that are excellent in pleasing crowds and some of the techniques are questionable for modern day combat purposes unless they are altered a bit or signifigantly.

If I am teaching a student and I say this is the movement, but in actual combat you have to alter it to make it work it becomes questionable to me.

I know some things in every system you have to alter to make it work, but when it becomes many, and I am in martial arts not only for the art but also self defense, I am going to search for a system that provides me with what it is I am looking for in characteristics.

Robinf Guest
    I'd like to pose a question, since it was mentioned about Wah Lum, and it's been mentioned about many other arts, that there are techniques some folks don't see as viable for "combat" or self-defense.

Question is: what makes these techniques not useful, or impractical?

With enough practice, wouldn't anything be useful and practical?

Honest questions.

Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

Papieboni Guest

Viability of Technique.

Robin,

I understand exactly what you are saying. However, I dont know if you have fought very much, if you have, im sure it has been with gloves, in the atmosphere in your school with a emphasis on kick boxing/sparring with rules and respect for your opponent, (fel free to correct me if im wrong)

But in a REAL fight, simple and direct almost always when. There is no rules, time is very short, there is no respect for you, and there definitely are no rules. people mean to harm you in the fastest, easiest and brutal way they can.
    they aim to scratch you, poke you, claw you, spit on you, break what they can, and etc..,,

There is no time for splits, butterfly kicks and excessive high kicks and all of the sort. a good seasoned street fighter will tear you to shreds.

Dont misundestand me, those things are good and pretty and serve their purpose. It all depends on what you are in MA for.

If you are studying it for self defense you should find a art and a teacher thate mpasize that. If its competion you shuld find a school that empasize competiveness and good form execution.

adam Guest

I think this topic is interesting

Can someone please explain more about high kicks etc used in a street fight.

Visit http://www.mybizhosting.com for website hosting.

Robinf Guest
    You are correct, KickingMantis, the only "fighting" I've ever had to do was in the kwoon--we don't wear gloves, though so we can use our hands.

We also train in self-defense drills which are very straightfoward and to the point. My sifu even goes so far as to help me train a bit more with different drills because I have long hair--a target. For the most part, the kicks (or knee), if any, are to the groin. I find that practicing high kicks has helped make my low kicks and knee strikes more powerful.

But, even though a person has never used a butterfly kick in a street fight, does that mean it won't work in a street fight? Just because one person hasn't used it, I feel, doesn't mean that it won't work. What works is what you practice.

KeyEssence Guest
    So Wah Lum is a performance art huh............I must say that is one of the most humorous things I've heard in a while. Ok First lets not forget the founder of the system Grandmaster Lee Kwan Shan who was a famous bodyguard in China who killed people for a living (performance art????????) Lets also put into consideration the current Grandmaster Chan Pui who is one of the most respected and feared masters in China, who's conflicts (which have been witnessed) ended in either death or paralysis (performance art????????) Now lets think just a little about training, now is it not true if you practice kicking relatively high if you deliver a low side kick to someone's knee won't it be much more powerful? Look at Wushu for instance, obviously a style geared more towards "performance" but your telling me one of those guys kicks you in the skull and your not going to feel it.....Your head will probably detach from your torso!! Splits are merely for flexibility and obviously hold no fighting application. Butterfly kicks which could be used in fighting but are not recommended, provide extra agility and balance, two key principle in combat. All of these techniques which appear to be mere "flash" hold much importance in piecing together all the qualities a "good" fighter must encompass. Practicing these techniques provides the practitioner with extra strength, increased power and a heightened sense of balance, all again which are beneficial in combat....I do agree in some sense that all martial arts are becoming more "performance related in some respects" the "old" ways of hard-core training seem to be fading, yet a result of "us"and not the style.

Mantis_Hand Guest

re: Key

i don't think there was any offense intended in this post. I'm also involved in Wah Lum and I admit that our style is "pretty" but is that such a bad thing? It in no way means that our style is inferior... we just kick ass with style.

<embed src="http://www.geocities.com/lattethunder03862/zorak.swf" quality=high pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="415" height="90">
    </embed>

woliveri Guest

KeyEssence

Lets also put into consideration the current Grandmaster Chan Pui who is one of the most respected and feared masters in China, who's conflicts (which have been witnessed) ended in either death or paralysis (performance art????????)

Whoa, whoa, whoa there..... Where did you hear
    this? Who did Master Chan Kill and for what
    reason? I'll agree with respected but "feared"?
    I haven't seen any of it.

bill

Life and Teaching of the Masters of the Far East
    By Baird T. Spalding

Papieboni Guest

Performance Art

Robin,

I am happy to know that you guys are touching hands in your kwoon. As I said before in a previous post, that it requires additional time and effort from the instructor and the student and a greater understanding of applying the techniques and theories from your system and its forms.

Robin and Key Essence,

(Key Essence, seem to be a little defensive and edgy like most people on this forum, I dont know why its a discussion, and the purpose of discussions is to discuss, communicate and learn and look at various points of view, I am going to assume he must not know much about himself(young) or the system he studies.)

I agree when you do high kicks, butterfly kicks, long movements they are beneficial in developing
    other attributes that is necessary in martial combat. I am sure they have their purpose.

I have a fairly new class and I start them out in Wah Lum basics and exercises to teach them proper stances, punches, kicking methods, tam tui leg drills and etc..,, and when the class improves I will probably teach them sets from the Wah Lum tradition that has the flashy movements in them. will I emphasis them for self defencs? I surely will not. ou have the option to do as you please.

Key Essence.

I am no Grandmaster Lee Kwan Shan, Master Chan Poi or Grandmaster Lo Gwan Yu or Master Chu Chi Man and neither or you or anyone on this forum. So to compare what they did in a time where the platform, attitude, thoughts and values of Chinese Martials arts was different is not even relevant.

First, Those people literally dedicated their lives to the martial arts and they depended on it to protect their village, property, family and the borders of their country. I don't depend on it in such a way and neither do you. In my martial arts journey I am attempting to achieve a level where I can depend on it for self defense demonstration and maybe competition ever so often.
    So you see, the sentiment is different now.

The time and effort that we put towards the martial arts will never equal to what our ancestors did, because that was their life and they depended on it. i wake up go to work, then school after school homework and go to bed and try to sqeeze whatever work out in that I can in between and on the few nights that I can. It is different than doing martial arts everyday for 4-8 hours a day. This is also a variable.

I am sure that Master Chan Poi is a respected Sifu. My previous instructor always shared stories with us regarding this, However, Feared?,
    I dont know?, remember that he came from China and eventually to Hong Kong too, and he cow tows to someone as well thats more senior than himself in the Wah Lum family in Hong Kong and China.

Key Essence,

Yes I do agree kicking high, tumbling and doing long movements does help develop other attributes such as power, speed, balance, coordination and such. and nothing is wrong with that, but if you are going to fight?, example,try using a butterfly kick, see what happens to you when u land and you bring your head up.But, most people tend to use what they are taught. If you practice a certain way thats the way usually you are going to fight, we are creatures of habit and what we do over and over again is what sticks in our mind.

In tournaments overseas in Northern Okinawa on Camp Butler, I've seen Tae Kwon Do guys and Kung Fu guys get pulled from the air by Okinawan Karate fighters and punched and thrown to the floor. Strong legs does nothing for you if you dont have power and speed and the know how to use it in combat.

In Okinawa, for the small time I was there I trained with this Japanese gentlemen that taught Hsing Yi, Tai Chi and BaGua. His son and daughter was incredible, they could lift lift their legs from the ground straight up over there head with no hands and do one legged dai tam tuis all day. (incredible strengh and flexible) however, when we pushed hands and fought they sucked.

Wushu, different story, I think it speaks for its self. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by KickingMantis on 10-19-00 at 01:26 PM.]

Robinf Guest
    The tam tui sets are killers! I mean that in a practicing sense, once again, never had to use them in self defense. But, do you imagine, sine we're on the topic, that the tam tui kick would work. I mean, you're putting yourself in a dangerous spot, low to the ground, if you use it, but it can be a powerful kick to the groin. Suppose you are ducking higher techniques, punches or something.

Just imagining.

MiamiMantis Guest

Wah Lum as a performance art

Since I started this topic, i'll add my 2 cents again. I questioned Kicking Mantis on what he meant about Wah Lum as a perfromance art, and he explained it to me with a satisfactory answer. I know that his post was not meant to offend anyone in WahLum. Hey I'll admit WahLum looks flashy, but then again don't alot of Northern styles?. Look at Eagle Claw, a very effective system but at the same time the forms are nice to watch. What about Monkey?. The forms are really neat to watch, but a true Monkey stylist is one to be dealt with very carefully. And the Wu Shu stylist, yeah there forms are all over the place and they need a room the size of a football field to show their forms, but look at the speed at which they move. Look at how high they can kick and how fast they punch. If they were to use that in a practical application, I'm sure I would not want to be on the recieving end of their technique nor would anybody else in the forum.

Also by the way who did Master Chan kill or paralyze. That I would really like to know. That must be a bonus question for extra credit when testing.... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Robinf Guest
    You ever get the feeling that all of kung fu is deadly, that what we think is "pretty" or "flashy" is actually our human desire for destruction.

Just a passing thought that I'd love to be able to discuss. I know the original post was answered a long time ago, but going off topic into others is a lot of fun and informative--really makes me think.